Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Some First for Most C8 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some First for Most C8 Owners

I believe most of the new C8 owners have some of these experiences in common. Every time I talk to my friends about my C8 I mention these firsts for me. Wonder how many of you have these experiences in common with me and other C8 owners. Here is the list of firsts:
    1. This is the first car I have ever purchased without driving it or a similar model. Even now, there aren’t any C8’s available at dealerships to sit in let alone drive. Seems like Chevrolet could seed some test cars at larger dealers for test drives. Oh well!
    2. This is the first car I have ever purchased that I paid full MSRP. Yes, I know, I am fortunate to only pay MSRP and I felt like I had been gifted a great opportunity considering how many others would like to have the same opportunity.
    3. This is the first convertible I have ever owned. This is my fourth Corvette and numerous other cars but I have never thought that a convertible was practical, if you can call any Corvette practical. The HTC C8 made sense to me because it has all the features and conveniences of the coupe with the open-air experience of a convertible. I also really like the exotic look of the HTC with the carbon flash painted nacelles and roof.
    4. This is my first mid-engine, DCT car. Like most of you, I read and watched plenty of reviews about the C8 before I committed to an order. Now that I have the car, I am still surprised by the performance of the DCT. During sedate driving, the DCT acts pretty much like a traditional automatic transmission. One difference is that it down shifts when slowing to a stop unlike an automatic that just coasts and then shifts to first after stopping. I kind of like the effect. Starts and acceleration are also like a traditional automatic even though the DCT uses actual clutches without a torque converter. From a stop, the DCT clutches don’t feel anything like the clutch of a true manual transmission. Guess the combination of the clutches being “wet” and computer controlled makes the difference. The fluid in the DCT lubricates and cools the transmission, clutches, and transaxle. During hard acceleration, the DCT provides shifts unlike any manual or automatic transmission I have ever owned. Extremely quick and crisp. You have to experience the shifts to really appreciate how much better the DCT is than any previous manual or automatic transmission.
    5. The exhaust note of the C8 is considerable difference from my C6 GS with dual-mode exhaust or my C5 with Corsa exhaust. The C8 exhaust has more bark and crack than the growl of my previous Corvettes. The engine also seems to rev much quicker than my previous Corvettes. Might just be my imagination but I believe it to be true.
    6. This is my first Corvette, out of four, that is not red. Don’t know if other people have also made a different color selection because of colors and interior choices available. My C8 is Elkhart Lake Blue with a Tension/Twilight Blue interior. Went back and forth between Rapid and Elkhart Lake blue but finally settled on Elkhart. The new interior design and interior color combinations led me to choosing blue over red exterior color. As a friend of mine said when he first saw my C8, “it is drop-dead gorgeous”. I believe I can say every C8 color and interior combination I have seen is gorgeous.
    7. Before purchasing my C8, I had concern about the “Active Fuel Management” cylinder deactivation. Haven’t seen much written about that feature. That may be that it isn’t an issue at all. In fact, I can’t notice when it goes into V4 mode from V8 or back. There is a small white “V8” indicator that changes to a green “V4” in the instrument display. That is the only indication when Active Fuel Management engages. Kudos to Chevrolet for their efforts in making that feature nonintrusive to the driving experience.
    8. The ride quality of the C8 is much, much better than any previous generation. I have ridden and driven everything from a C1 to C6. None come close in ride comfort to the C8. Mine has Z51 with magnetic ride. My C6 GS also had magnetic ride but is not comparable to the C8 in both level of adjustments and ride quality.
    I am sure there are other firsts that many new C8 owners have experienced. If you have any other unique experiences, please post.

2021 3LT HTC, Elkhart Lake Blue, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51 Magnetic Ride, Front Lift delivered 2/12/2021

The Only Cars I've ever purchased without first Driving is my C5 and eventually my C8
    [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
    1st Deposit June 18th 2020 to 2nd Depost April 17th 2021 = 304 Days
    [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Comment

I have only seen one in the wild and never sat in one! It's a no brainer, if you don't like it you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

Comment

Back in September, 2019, a dealer 60 miles away from me had an Orange C8 with Sky Cool Gray interior on display for one day. I took the drive down there to see it in person before I made my decision. After waiting in line to sit in the passenger seat and then the drivers seat, I was sold. Have been buying new cars since the 60's, and have NEVER paid sticker for any of them, including 3 Corvettes. This will be my first vehicle I will pay sticker for.

Comment

Wow, Hank, of your list of 8 almost all would be on my list as well. Well done.
          Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Yes, I've never purchased a car without driving it first. And I was a little anxious about visibility, even at 6'2", thought it might sit too low for my tastes. I got an 1LT, and the view out the rear was a concern. Truth is it's no worse than my 2020 Cherokees rear view, it's pretty small actually. Now that I've owned it for eight months I love everything about it. The DCT is different feeling in auto or manual. You can feel it downshift. I think that's just the way they all are, but I have to say that in manual, if I forget to downshift coming to a stop, it will do it for me, it won't let you downshift into a gear that over revs the engine. After attending the Ron Fellows school for new C8 owners, and experiencing the virtues of DCT, I'll never go back to a clutch. This is just as much fun, but with the car protecting itself against missed gears, lugging the motor, and clutch/shift gate timing errors. I was always good at that, but this shifts SO much faster and smoother than I ever could.

Comment

I waited 17 months for a car I had never seen. I have now waited three months to drive a car I have only sat in after it was delivered to my house. Ive never even seen an other C8 in person. The excitement is building as this weekend will be my first time driving this car I waited for for so long. I cant wait.
              Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations! I hope to get one in about half that wait time but I knew I wanted one at least 18 months ago!

Comment

Originally posted by bigal8866 View Post
                  This will be my first vehicle I will pay sticker for.
                  But if your order was pushed into 2021 and you were price-protected, technically you got a $1,000 discount, no?

Comment

This is my first car that came with membership in the exalted exotic car club. I regularly get approached by big dogs to play on the highway, including Ferraris, McLarens, even a Ford GT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_140138.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	253798
                    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Hank_C8 , You have good observations and for many will be similar and for those that have had other mid-engine vehicles before will have some insights.
                      1. ​​​​This is not unusual for a new model for many mfr's. Only the higher end companies will put a "demo" vehicle at the dealership (to be sold later) that people can go drive, but that is more on the 200K vehicles and up.
                      2. Unfortunately this in not my first MSRP vehicle and will probably not be my last, however I have grown wiser and there are certain vehicles I pay MSRP for (new) and the rest will typically never be that.
                      3. The Corvette technically has been practical, especially when compared with Ferrari and Lamborghini. The trunk space you get in those cars is only the front bonnet (not a frunk, what a terrible name), you never get the larger space in the rear boot. 😀
                      4. This car drives and behaves as good if not better than many mid-engine vehicles I have owned. The DCT being what it is, drives like most all DCT and SMG gearboxes that have dropped manual transmissions. However, you need to drive a Lamborghini in Corsa mode to feel the punch of the shift like no other. Track mode is good in the C8, but definitely feel it more in the Lambo (bigger engine also helps that too)
                      5. The exhaust will have to be different since the exhaust is soooooo much shorter than that of a front engine vehicle. The exhaust not in stock form sounds excellent and only gets better when changing the cats and exhaust.
                      6. As for color, always in the eye of the beholder!!! 😉
                      7. AFM has been around GM for quite some time now, but agreed adding the feature to the C8 has been a nice bonus. Helps me make up some MPG for the rest of the time my foot is buried in the floorboard.
                      8. You have to imagine that from the C6 to C8 the technology has improved so the Magnetic ride quality has done so as well. I have only driven one other vehicle that has had a better ride dynamic system, and it's not a sports car. So we wont talk about that.
                      I think the one feature that has been a true pleasure in the vehicle has been the Front Lift System with Memory. It is so nice to pull into the subdivision and at a certain distance from the driveway the car automatically raises so I can pull into the garage.

Keep enjoying and driving the car!!! That is what they are meant to do!
                      '20 C8, Ceramic Matrix Gray, Z51, 3LT, E60, FE4, FA5, VST

Comment

As a C8 owner, most of these weren't "firsts" for me at all, with the exception of #8. The ride quality in my non-magnetic ride C8 is outstanding. I had mag ride on my C6 and my C7 and got tired of replacing expensive leaking shocks, so I didn't want it on the C8.

Comment

This is the first car I have ever purchased without driving it or a similar model.
                          I'd like to address this one item. This is not the first car bought without driving first. Going back to when I started owning cars, I bought a '28 Model A, '67 Mustang, '68 Mustang CJ, '69 Charger R/T, '67 Austin-Healey 3000, '70 Triumph Bonneville - all having never driven one. I knew what I wanted, and that was enough. Same with this C8. This first time I drove it, it was on the way home from the dealer.
                          C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X