Ron Fellows Spring Mountain is worth every penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Fellows Spring Mountain is worth every penny

I just got back from my Spring Mountain C8 owners 2 day driving school (Jan 6th and 7Th) and I have to say I am impressed and its worth every penny. Other than going to a ¼ mile track and going around the track at NCM when I was picking up my car in August this was my first real time on a track. I learned a great deal and quickly realized it will be sometime (if ever) that I push the car even close to its limit.

The instructors were outstanding; patient, instructional and a pleasure to speak with and learn from. How they are able to instruct, observe and drive all while leading you around the track is amazing. On several occasions I heard the comment from them you’ve got the right line, you’re hitting the apex, braking and shifts are good but you’re hesitating on acceleration or leveling off before hitting the next turn… push yourself and the car a little more. I tend to be very methodical in how I approach something new (sacrifice speed for precision), with their feedback I was pushing myself outside of my comfort zone on each trip around the track. I wasn’t the fastest (not even close) but I did learn and each lap was better (minus a few hiccups here and there, I am learning after all LOL). Never once did I feel like the instructors were pushing me beyond my abilities or trying to really get me to do something I didn’t want to do, they were masterful at getting me to stretch myself. I can’t say enough about each one of them, they were fun to talk to, informative and patient.
    The 2 days were full of different exercises and activities including; defensive braking and decisions making on wet pavement under full ABS, a figure 8 on partially wet surface which was a blast swinging the car around (including sometimes in the wrong direction… donuts are a blast), a smaller oval style course for quick turns and short acceleration exercises, practicing launch control best I got was 3.4 but it is high altitude) and lastly the small rally course. I don’t think I could choose a favorite as they were all loads of fun (If I had to choose… the track was the most fun and I wish I had more time to spend there).

The facility is great, rooms were nice and the C8’s were top notch. I would sign up again in a heartbeat and probably will take another course there as soon as I can.
    Overall, from a new person’s perspective this was by far some of the most fun I have ever had driving a car. I always considered myself a good driver and thought I knew a lot (I am now 100% sure I don’t know as much as I thought I did). I am more confident now after going to the school, but still have much to learn. If you have the opportunity…go, if your on the fence about it…go, if your not interested in learning to drive on the track….go, you will not regret it! My class had 14 other students, with varying levels of driving experiences and it was a blast from start to finish.

A big Thanks to the Spring Mountain staff for making this one of the best trips to date!

Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV5171.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	227702 Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV5682.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	227703 Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV5720.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	227704 Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV5125.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	227705 Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV5553.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	227706
    My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

What a great, well thought out review. So glad but totally not surprised that you had a ball. They are a great bunch of instructors at one fantastic facility.

I have been to Spring Mountain twice and look forward to returning.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

SubVet - I will be going in a few weeks and will come out with as big of a smile as you have.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        What a great, well thought out review. So glad but totally not surprised that you had a ball. They are a great bunch of instructors at one fantastic facility.

I have been to Spring Mountain twice and look forward to returning.
        I had very high expectations based on other reviews from forum members....it exceeded my expectations! I'm sure you are anxiously awaiting your next trip out there 😁
        My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
          SubVet - I will be going in a few weeks and will come out with as big of a smile as you have.
          Have you been out there before or is this your first visit? I can't honestly see how anyone who goes wouldn't be smiling like the Cheshire cat. Have fun and let us know how it was.

Comment

Excellent post. I found out at Spring Mtg. that I did not know as much as I told myself. The instructors were the best and carefully taught me much. I will always recommend that all true Corvette owners go. Taking the wife, kids and grandkids would be a trip all will remember for a long time. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

Did you bring your wife? If so did she take the course?
              I am trying to convince my wife to take the course.
              She never liked to drive our C4 but the C8 is so much easier to drive that she actually drives it.

Comment

Originally posted by capkarl View Post
                She never liked to drive our C4 but the C8 is so much easier to drive that she actually drives it.
                No she didn't want to go, although when I told her about the instructor driving lap and my "holy cow" expression she did comment that she would have loved to see me getting out of the car a little pale LOL. There were 2 other couples in the class (one couple drove there C8 from Colorado and then they both were driving the schools C8's during the classes, they had a blast and she was a pretty darn good driver too). The other couple both drove as well and she was a far more reserved driver, she commented about how patient the instructors were with her and that she was scared at first but quickly felt more comfortable based on the instructions during her lap times. There were other wives there but they did not drive, with Cov-19, social distancing and restrictions my wife said she wouldn't be able to enjoy the amenities, which is why she passed on going. If I go again (which I will), I am hoping I can convince her to actually take the course.

Comment

We were 80 when we went. I still drive Dede does not. However. She got to sit in all classes and ride with the instructors for free. I think if a wife likes the Corvette that she will like the class and the instructors. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

I had little and my wife zero interest in the school. BUT last week, waiting to take delivery at the NCM, we had a great conversation with a security guard. He's a retired Corvette person. He told us about the experience he and his wife had at the school. ( His wife had 0 interest, 3rd time for him at the school ) Well, I and my wife are going, and she is really excited about it, all from how that Security Guard discribed Ron Fellows Driving School. ( My age 71, wife 68 we are mostly interested in defensive driving VS performance )

Comment

Originally posted by cutnout View Post

We were 80 when we went. I still drive Dede does not. However. She got to sit in all classes and ride with the instructors for free. I think if a wife likes the Corvette that she will like the class and the instructors. Charlie aka cutnout
                      Unfortunately because of Cov-19 protocols at the school, they are not allowing non students to ride along (with instructors) or sit in the class that isn't registered for the class. Hopefully that will change as we work through all the restrictions... when the time is right.

Comment

Spring Mtg, hopefully will return to letting non students sit in. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I was able to convince my wife to take the course. This because we always wanted to drive route 66 with a Vette. We did some of it in a van (not the same) so we are planning a trip to drive 66 and the Pacific coast highway (again we did it in a van in1976 not the same) and stop in Nevada with our Vette.
                          Our 93 was a garage queen so this one will be an opposite.
                          We will be driving from Ocala Florida. Not sure if we will start in Chicago or LA, we are presently looking at different options.
                          We are now both retired so we can do this before gas hits $4.
                          BTW just got back from a trip from Ocala to New Port Richey via the Suncoast, mostly driving around 75 and got 28 Mpg.
                          Quite remarkable since the same trip in our Toyota Sequoia we average around 16 Mpg.

Comment

Just talked to the school and confirmed that the discount only applies to one owner and non students are not riding with instructors or sitting in the class.
                            They have an additional $300 off if you can attend in March.
                            Too soon for me but maybe good for someone else.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X