Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
2 of 3 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Couple of Car Cleaning tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Car Cleaning tips

Hi guys, after washing the car several time now, I thought I would share some of my experiences and tips, just to help anyone else who might have an interest. First of all the car has much more surface area than it looks, and a lot of nooks and crannies. While roughly the same size as my C5, it has a lot more angles and general surface area and probably takes about twice as long to clean well. I joke to myself that its like a piece of Origami, it just keeps unraveling as you clean it. So here are some quick suggestions. Also note I dont have anything to do with the products below, other than my recommendation.

1) Most obvious is the open vents to the engine compartment. What I use it 2 good size towels rolled on the outside of each top vent, and a hand towel stuffed into the gap between the glass and the lid for the bottom slot. They don't get that wet, but keep all the water from running down into the engine compartment, and then you can use them for cleaning the door sills and the frunk and engine compartments, no need for anything fancy here, works great.

2) Wheels: I deliberately got black wheels so they wouldn't show dirt as bad as other colors, and I love the 5 point wheels as opposed to the C5 Z wheels (which is also why I didn't get the trident wheels). But the wheels also have lots of grooves and slots, and its tight to get inside the wheels in several places (and the rears are very wide). But I got a Woollywormit wheel brush and it is great for cleaning all the nooks of the wheels, and has a fitting for cleaning around the lugs.

3) Glass: The car has a very long dash and the windshield goes on for miles, and all the edges are very hard to reach. Also the rear glass over the engine is very hard to reach on the inside, as well as the partition between the engine and cabin. I just got a Invisible Glass 95164 Reach and Clean Tool, and it works great for all glass. It comes with 2 heads and reaches all the surfaces and cleans great.

Just sharing some of my experience and hope it helps some of you folks who wash their own cars!

Thank you. One tip for those who especially have a dark colored especially a black car), is not to hand dry your car for you will be creating a swirl-paint-fest heaven. A blow drying system will get 95% or more of the water off without touching the car.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...t-a-fair-price

As to the other time we put hands on our paint and tend to also do the same, here’s an interesting method (with three options within it), on how to get your car the cleanest with least chance of inducing surfaced scratches.

https://youtu.be/qYZehV-k5o4

i have chosen the one bucket filled with eight Adams microfiber mitts floating in a suds bath. I therefore if other than just very lightly dirty:

Foam with my MTM 22.2 foam cannon and pressure washer from distance of roughly 18”; let sit for five minutes;

Rinse off, then re-foam.

Grab the first MF washing mitt and wash with least possible pressure on the paint, of course starting at top as we all do, do one small section. Turn the mitt over and do another small section.

Throw the contaminated dirty mitt into an empty second bucket. Grap a clean foamy mitt from the bucket.

Finish the car; rinsing periodically as necessary so no dry edges (re-foaming each upcoming section as necessary before grabbing the next foamy, clean wash mitt).

Rinse down and then grab my BigBoi Pro dryer to get almost all the water off. Spot dry those few remaining drops of water with a super soft, super thick, clean regular micro fiber.

Just my method. There are many other really good ones. But with our black car, I do everything I can to not introduce any swirlies.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I have a bottle washing brush. I cut of the handle and stick it in my drill for cleaning the wheels. I have another that I use manually for all the nooks and crannies on the rear and front of the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	221601
      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
      2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
      Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
      3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I always get a hearty laugh out of these elaborate "solutions" to block the vents when it's bath time. Are you never going to drive your car in the rain?

Comment

FYI, some Fatherly advise to those new C8 Father's out there: if you take care of “IT”, then IT WILL take care of you. But, every once in awhile, you must drive it like it stole it🎅😳
          07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

Does anyone have suggestions for engine cleaning? I live on a dirt road and this engine gets much dirtier than the engine in my C3.
            Rapid Blue HTM 2LT GT2 E60 NPP Q8T

Comment

Originally posted by TireEater View Post
              Does anyone have suggestions for engine cleaning? I live on a dirt road and this engine gets much dirtier than the engine in my C3.
              I spray down the dirty parts with Simple Green tm and then hose it off.
              Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
              2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
              Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
              3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Might have to give that reach and clean a try, cleaning the inside / outside of truck windows is pia

Comment

Originally posted by Ugolino View Post
                  I always get a hearty laugh out of these elaborate "solutions" to block the vents when it's bath time. Are you never going to drive your car in the rain?
                  Probably lots of C8s will NEVER be driven in the rain.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Probably lots of C8s will NEVER be driven in the rain.
                    I have 2010 Camaro ss bought new in 2009 and has never seen water. I( told myself when I get this Vette first rainy day its going for a ride. The Camaro Has 8800 miles on my goal is to put that much on the new Vette in the first year. Got cure myself of that not driving it obsession lol

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

I spray down the dirty parts with Simple Green tm and then hose it off.
                      Same here, wash the engine first, then the rest of the car.

Other Tip I forgot to post is to use an air compressor and gun to blow out all the angles and vents (especially in the back) and wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by AZvrod View Post
                        Hi guys, after washing the car several time now, I thought I would share some of my experiences and tips, just to help anyone else who might have an interest. First of all the car has much more surface area than it looks, and a lot of nooks and crannies. While roughly the same size as my C5, it has a lot more angles and general surface area and probably takes about twice as long to clean well. I joke to myself that its like a piece of Origami, it just keeps unraveling as you clean it. So here are some quick suggestions. Also note I dont have anything to do with the products below, other than my recommendation.

1) Most obvious is the open vents to the engine compartment. What I use it 2 good size towels rolled on the outside of each top vent, and a hand towel stuffed into the gap between the glass and the lid for the bottom slot. They don't get that wet, but keep all the water from running down into the engine compartment, and then you can use them for cleaning the door sills and the frunk and engine compartments, no need for anything fancy here, works great.

2) Wheels: I deliberately got black wheels so they wouldn't show dirt as bad as other colors, and I love the 5 point wheels as opposed to the C5 Z wheels (which is also why I didn't get the trident wheels). But the wheels also have lots of grooves and slots, and its tight to get inside the wheels in several places (and the rears are very wide). But I got a Woollywormit wheel brush and it is great for cleaning all the nooks of the wheels, and has a fitting for cleaning around the lugs.

3) Glass: The car has a very long dash and the windshield goes on for miles, and all the edges are very hard to reach. Also the rear glass over the engine is very hard to reach on the inside, as well as the partition between the engine and cabin. I just got a Invisible Glass 95164 Reach and Clean Tool, and it works great for all glass. It comes with 2 heads and reaches all the surfaces and cleans great.

Just sharing some of my experience and hope it helps some of you folks who wash their own cars!
                        I saw a Youtuber that specializes in detailing exotic cars and said all you need to do is take two towels (making sure your engine is not hot) and just lay them across the engine which will absorb the water that comes through the vents. This way you can still clean the mesh vents that could be dirty that need to be washed including the carbon flash louvers.

Once you are through, you gather up the towels which will be wet which I then use to wipe down the engine compartment and all covered areas which worked great for me. The photo is what the towels looked like after the wash which were wet but not completely soaked.

Just make sure you remove the towels before you start your engine back up.

Name:	Covering engine with towels before washing.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	815.7 KB
ID:	221832

Comment

I like this suggestion. I will definitely try it. Thanks GAG.
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by AZvrod View Post

Other Tip I forgot to post is to use an air compressor and gun to blow out all the angles and vents (especially in the back) and wheels.
                            I use a Milwaukee battery powered Leaf Blower, on the majority of the car, powerful and light, and don't smell of exhaust fumes that the gas powered blower will gives

Comment

Originally posted by GAG View Post

I saw a Youtuber that specializes in detailing exotic cars and said all you need to do is take two towels (making sure your engine is not hot) and just lay them across the engine which will absorb the water that comes through the vents. This way you can still clean the mesh vents that could be dirty that need to be washed including the carbon flash louvers.

Once you are through, you gather up the towels which will be wet which I then use to wipe down the engine compartment and all covered areas which worked great for me. The photo is what the towels looked like after the wash which were wet but not completely soaked.

Just make sure you remove the towels before you start your engine back up.

Name:	Covering engine with towels before washing.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	815.7 KB
ID:	221832
                              I agree 100% with your method. Just let the towels get wet from washing the C8 then when finished just lightly wipe down the engine bay area. Very easy and very effective. I use two of the Adams Grey Ultra Plush Drying towels. I then use them for the door jams and trunk area.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X