Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today With Bloomington Gold’s Guy Larsen

On this CORVETTE TODAY podcast, Steve Garrett sits down with Bloomington Gold owner and president Guy Larsen to talk about what happens at a Bloomington Gold event.  Find out why it's so much fun to attend! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Larsen-emm7ua
You'll learn how to get your car judged and certified at Bloomington Gold, Find out what there is to do at this huge Corvette event. And, if you would like to become a judge for Bloomington Gold, you'll hear about that process too.  You don't have to have your Corvette judged at Bloomington Gold to have fun at this event.
Put this Corvette show on your calendar for 2021-find out why by listening to this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.
2 of 4 < >

Welcome To C8Grill Our New Featured Vendor

We are glad to have a wonderful new vendor @ https://c8grills.com/. If you met up with at their place, free installation. And still a secret, sssh, but they are working on another new product that I believe many of you would want coming out fairly soon. WELCOME C8GRILL!
3 of 4 < >

We have started a monthly PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST WITH PRIZE MONEY!

4 of 4 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Finally Home & Initial Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Home & Initial Impressions

After 15 months, 2 weeks and 3 days (who’s counting) my wait was finally over this past Monday when I picked my car up at Criswell from Mike Furman. I am sure I could have been in and out of the dealership inside of an hour if Mike wasn’t gracious enough to visit, answer any and all my questions, and talk Corvette’s as long as I wanted.

The 240-mile drive home was amazing! Don’t believe all the accolades you have read about this car. It is so much, much better you won’t believe it. When “they” say the wait is worth it, do believe that! The trip home was so much more comfortable than the ride up in my base C7 with mag ride. The C8 Z51 with mag ride in Tour mode made the C7 seem like a buckboard wagon by comparison. Bumps and pavement seams that were jarring with crashing suspension sounds in the C7 were absorbed smoothly with hardly a whimper in the C8. And yet, the car was still planted and flat through the twisties. I spent the trip concentrating on getting accustomed to the sensory environment of the new car and didn’t mess with the different modes and settings in highway traffic keeping almost exclusively in Tour mode.

Now, three days later, I am just 40 miles short of completing the initial break-in and can offer my initial impressions of some of the features. My impressions come from a background that includes 9 years with ’87 “slushbox” (swore I would never have another automatic Corvette), 14 years with two M6 C5’s, and 5 years with an A8 C7 (a pending shoulder replacement forced me to break my “swear” for my “last” Corvette). For suspensions, my ’87 was a Z52 (basically a Z51 but with an automatic), one base C5/one Z51, and a base C7 with mag ride.
    1. Ride quality is incredible and while not quite luxury car like, it is very smooth while maintaining a taunt, flat attitude. In Sport mode, it rides better than my C7 in Tour. The cabin noise is noticeable less than in the C7. Not quite quiet, but quiet enough my wife and I can now easily carry on a conversation. As others have noted, you don’t get a lot of engine sound unless you really get on the gas. This was one of the major things I was hoping to get from the upgrade and am not at all disappointed.
    2. The dual clutch transmission is fabulous! This was THE major thing I was looking forward to with the C8. I don’t have any Porsche experience but cannot imagine a PDK being any better, or for that matter even needing it to be. It is a quantum leap over the A8 and no comparison to earlier slushboxes. It can probably make all but the most rabid “manual only” die hards change their mind. Automatic changes are extremely intuitive, manual paddle changes are instantaneous, and all are smooth as butter. The one thing I noticed immediately was that unlike the A8, the car did not necessarily start rolling as soon as you take your foot off the brake. Your frequently have to apply a little gas – like you would with a true manual with three pedals?
    3. The driver modes make a lot more difference in the daily driving feel of the car, I can’t comment on how they effect the “nannies” as I have not challenged any of them. Even in Tour, the DCT is more aggressive in gear selection than the A8, holding gears longer in temporary manual mode, and downshifting more frequently at cruise speeds. Unlike my sense of the A8, the DCT personality really changes going from Tour to Sport. It seems to hold gears longer and shifts are firmer but still with the same smoothness. It seems like Tour is programmed to get you to the highest possible gear as quick as possible while Sport is programmed to keep the RPMs in a higher range unless you are cruising at a constant speed. From the very little time I have spent in Track, it seems that under 65 mph or so, the transmission is not inclined to upshift beyond sixth unless you force it.
    4. I was a little concerned about visibility in this car before my first drive. I can easily say I was more uncomfortable initially in the C7 than in this car. I tried the camera mirror and you can really see a lot more with it, but as others have mentioned, it is a little hard to focus bifocals on it to see clearly. I found I was very comfortable with the standard mirror and properly adjusted side mirrors. The blind spot detectors are helpful but probably not essential. I still have not entered a road angled slightly left and having to check on-coming traffic to the right – that might prove to be a problem.
    5. I like the tech and ergonomics in this car. The “squircle” steering wheel was not as odd feeling as the flat bottom C7 wheel initially. I am still getting used to the new DIC screens but think I will eventually like them more. My Mode and Z Mode are great but I miss being able to decouple the DIC and HUD display from the other modes. I also miss the compartment behind the infotainment screen in the C7. That was a convenient place to keep my wallet when on long trips.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201124_094828.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	6.40 MB
ID:	211675 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201124_094751.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	211676
    3LT Torch Red/Adrenaline Red, Z51, MSRC

Great review wbrands! So glad you love it. BTW you can decouple the HUD and the IP separately, both from each other and from your DMS modes. I have chosen the track IP and my HUD is most similar to the Sport mode (and within each I chose my preferred gauges/variables).
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Great review wbrands! So glad you love it. BTW you can decouple the HUD and the IP separately, both from each other and from your DMS modes. I have chosen the track IP and my HUD is most similar to the Sport mode (and within each I chose my preferred gauges/variables).
      Thanks for the tip John. I am still exploring the tech features and will have to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrands View Post

Thanks for the tip John. I am still exploring the tech features and will have to check that out.
        And there is lots of that to explore! I still haven't done it all. lol
        Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
        2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
        Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
        3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

It took some custom help from two forum members on the phone to help me through it. I am happy with my current settings but doubt seriously I could assist anyone in setting up their choices. And ditto what Murrary20c8 posted, that I have so much more to learn. But mine is 99% functional the way I want it now, and guessing like the C7 that the day I sold it I was still knowledge deficient.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Congrats its finally home. Nice write up. Enjoy the ride 👍👍
            Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Great pictures. That was my initial color combination but when I finalized my order I went with the tan interior. The red sure does look good though.

Comment

wbrands The Reviews here on Mag Ride has really sealed the deal for me.

Thanks for the honest review.
                Deposit w/Criswell - June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone,Sky Cool Grey w/Front Lift, Mag Ride & R8C Delivery

Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Congratulations on your new ride! Thank you for a comprehensive review from a daily driver and not a car critic. I hope to be picking up my C8 from Mike Furman in the not too distant future....car was born on November 24th. I agonized over the Mag Ride, knew I wanted it but really did not want to get the complete Z51 package to get it. After reading your review, I think I made the right choice even though it was late in the order process....thanks Mike Furman.
                  Regarding your 1987 "slushbox", you missed a lot of headaches with the 4+3 manual. The car started out in 2nd gear in the 4+3 automatic mode, you had to press the center button on the stick to get it out of automatic mode every time you started the car. I had two 1987 manuals over 12 years and on both the transmission failed and needed repair.

Comment

Congratulations! Beautiful car and thoughtful review. It is worth the wait.....
                    Torch Red Z51, 3LT, Lift, Transparent Top, Black Trident, Red/Black 2 Tone-seats, Mag, Carbon Flash wing and mirrors.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I have a long wait before I get my 2021 HTC (hopefully later this year) and am encouraged to get the comparison to the C7, which currently drive. You have a beautiful car. Enjoy.
                      Rick, Charlotte, NC
                      Current: 2019 GS, Shadow Grey Metalic, Modified
                      Next: C8 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by mellowyellow View Post
                        Congratulations on your new ride! Thank you for a comprehensive review from a daily driver and not a car critic. I hope to be picking up my C8 from Mike Furman in the not too distant future....car was born on November 24th. I agonized over the Mag Ride, knew I wanted it but really did not want to get the complete Z51 package to get it. After reading your review, I think I made the right choice even though it was late in the order process....thanks Mike Furman.
                        Regarding your 1987 "slushbox", you missed a lot of headaches with the 4+3 manual. The car started out in 2nd gear in the 4+3 automatic mode, you had to press the center button on the stick to get it out of automatic mode every time you started the car. I had two 1987 manuals over 12 years and on both the transmission failed and needed repair.
                        I agree with the 4+3 and never really wanted one of those, but I did live with the automatic way too long after the 6 speed took its place. The history of my order went from base 2LT initially, Z51 with mag ride before going to 3000, then Mike got me upgraded to 3LT in July while at 3000. I do not regret any of the changes (additions) and only very slightly disappointed Mike could not also get the front lift added in July that I have found no real need for in my first 500 miles of driving. I have not heard a single scrape or rub, unlike the rubber air dam on the front of the C7. I am sure you will be pleased you "spent the extra nickle", as my uncle used to say, and bought the Z51 and mag ride.

To hopefully ease your anxiety waiting for your delivery, I picked my car up at Criswell one week to the day after its "born on" date. I think it happened to be the last one off the assembly line need to load a truck for them since it left Bowling Green two days after being built and arrived at Criswell two or three days after that. Hope yours goes as quickly!

Comment

Great write up and gorgeous car. Congratulations
                          2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Brought baby home Tuesday night, courtesy delivery without temporary plates or registration supplied, insurance agent closed until Monday so not even proof of insurance. But put a few miles on it hoping nobody would notice and pull me over. Controlled my right foot pretty well, but was loving the incredibly good feel....so took a familiar turn about 10 MPH faster than I ever did the 2015 Z51........a pleasant feel of momentum in the back end reminded me of 911 but did it without any drama, singing it's "drive me, drive me" song. This is a drivers car.......
                            Since then in garage getting phone paired, etc. One puzzle: memory seats. I can set driver 1/driver 2 positions in memory, no sweat. But can't get exit memory to work. Check me: to set exit position the seats, then I press most forward of the four buttons, should get a beep, then press 1 or 2 and should get multiple beeps as acknowledgement? I think that's what I'm reading. But that forward button doesn't produce any beeps, ever, like it's not there. No exit position.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X