First Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Road Trip

Yesterday we took advantage of a beautiful fall day to get over the 500 mile mark. It started out in the mid 50's as I enjoyed the twisty road following the Arkansas river west to Salida, CO. Then down the valley to the Great Sand Dunes National Park to have lunch. Then over the pass and back up I-25. The C8 never missed a beat and after 7 hours in the GT1 seats, we both remarked that we had never sat in seats that comfortable. The sides of the seat felt like they were hugging me on the twisty road, but not uncomfortably. On the straight roads they felt like they gave me plenty of room. I'm 5" 7" and 155 pounds and my wife is 5" small sized. Our Equinox seats feel too large for both of us and our Colorado Pickup seats felt just right until we sat in these.

GM really hit this one "out of the park", on comfort, performance, styling, and even economy, just an all a round perfect car for us. I been waiting all my life to get the mid-engine Corvette they teased me about in the 60's. And I must say the wait was definitely worth it. The biggest surprise was when I got back home and looked at the Trip Computer. After 325 miles of comfort and some spirited driving, it said we got 33 mpg, simply unbelievable. That's 5mpg better than we ever got with our 4 cylinder Equinox.

The engine temperature never got above 178 degrees even with the A/C on and 90 degrees outside temperature on our way back on the freeway. So I think the screens on the front grilles are a success.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201007-SandDunes-22.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	197015
    1LT |Torch Red/Black | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
    Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Sounds like your living the dream👍👍 enjoy the ride 😎
    Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Thanks for being our curvy country cornering roving Corvette road trip reporter.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I love reading these kinds of stories, and your car is beautiful. Every time I get in mine is like the first time, and every trip is an adventure.

Comment

Man, that fuel economy is amazing over long hwy distances. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post
            Man, that fuel economy is amazing over long hwy distances. Thanks for sharing the experience.
            Your welcome.

I just looked at the Trip Computers "Best 25 miles" and was 53mpg, it must have been coming down the pass.
            1LT |Torch Red/Black | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
            Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Comment

GOOD FOR YOU, enjoy the dream!!

Comment

Agreed, the car is very comfortable on a long trip, and the mileage is surprising
                Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

I got 31.1 MPG on a recent 2 hour country drive. Early next month we'll do a longer planned trip. I'm anxious to see if the 31.1 can be improved on with the longer highway miles to get to our destination. Your's did great, AFM is great. I like that it engages at lower speeds and not just on the 70MPH freeway. I also discovered that my local BP gas station sells 93 octane, non-ethanol as well. I think Amoco stations are the same since BP owns them now too. Shell is close with 92 0ctane with their V-Nitro additive. I note this because 93 octane is recommended for optimal performance AND milage. Although, the car still runs fine on the 91 octane < than 10% ethanol I can get at many other Top Tier stations around the country.

Comment

Jeremy Welborn got 35 MPH for his over 500 mile drive home.
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X