MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Special Tadge Juechter On Corvette Today Podcast Now

Steve Garrett has the honor of talking to Corvette's Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter on CORVETTE TODAY!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...60a01_h0PwqXjw

Tadge talks about how he started working at GM, what his first job was for the company, his path to success and how he attained his current position. Then Steve and Tadge trace his time with the C4, C5 and C6.  You'll learn how the C7 almost became the mid-engine Corvette!  Tadge talks about how the true mid-engine car we know today was being developed while the C7 was coming to market! Next Tadge takes a deep dive into the development and product launch of the current C8 Corvette. He talks about how the Corvette team attained the buy-in for GM executives to build the car, the research and architecture of the C8 and the future of this mid-engine marvel.

Tell your friends, stop what you're doing right now and check out this outstanding episode of CORVETTE TODAY with Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett (listen to all CORVETTE TODAY podcasts)

CorvetteToday.ck.page (sign up for email updates here)
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Poll: Mechanical rubbing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Mechanical rubbing noise

My Z51 C8 has a mechanical rubbing noise and I am asking forum members who have gotten their C8s whether or not they hear a similar noise under the conditions that I describe here.
    The noise sounds like it comes from the right rear section of the car, and sounds similar to what a bad wheel bearing might sound like in an older car – a repetitive, mechanical rubbing sound that increases with the speed of tire rotation and is heard very clearly under moderate acceleration from around 25 mph to 40 mph ; it disappears when the accelerator is released. At higher speeds the noise becomes constant and blends into the sound of the engine. The noise is most noticeable and immediate on days when the temperature is in the 90s. With the temperature in the upper 70s or 80s the noise is less noticeable initially, but becomes louder only after driving several miles.
    If you get a chance to drive your C8 under one of the conditions described, please respond to this post with your findings. With NPP, keep driving mode in Weather or Tour to hear better. Thank you.

Black/ Natural (GBA/ HUV) Z51, 2LT, GT1, FE4, E60, NPP, Q8Q, VQK,...Was # 465 at Kerbeck,.TPW: 2/17/20, Status to 6000 on 3/20/20

Did you take it to your dealer for resolution? That would be my first and only choice for an issue like you described.

Comment

I like to consider the simple things 1st.

Have you checked your wheel lug nut torque?

Loosened lug nuts can lead to noise "that increases with the speed of tire rotation".
      My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Frank, sorry to hear of what you are experiencing! I am not an experience tech, but might it be a half shaft bearing?
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I have No noises like you described. Good luck
          Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Almost sounds like a wheel bearing or a brake issue. I have 3,000 miles and have not experienced that on my car.
            Hopefully your dealer's Service Department can resolve it.

Comment

I have no such noises - 1,500 miles on the car - zero issues.

Comment

Might check to see if you have a rock or debris stuck in the brake caliper or parking brake caliper.
                Last edited by Racer86; 10-07-2020, 07:17 AM.
                3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

I have added the following information to answer the comments that I have gotten so far. I have been to dealer twice on this issue. When I got my C8 in March the weather was cool and the noise existed but at a lower, acceptable level . Noise became louder as the weather warmed up with about 1200 miles on car. Now have about 2500 miles.. The first time to dealer on this issue the weather was in 90s and the Corvette Tech clearly heard noise and felt that there was an issue to be corrected. Brake inspection was OK and lug nuts were tightened back in April when car had state safety inspection. When the tech used a stethoscope with wheels off ground there was no noise. He scheduled the Corvette field engineer to drive car. When the Corvette field engineer came in, he also drove another C8 that was in for service that day. It was a cooler day and I suspect that he did not drive each car more than several miles or enough to heat up the drive train, which is when the noise becomes very noticeable. The engineer did claim that he heard the noise in both cars but that it was “within an allowable level". I feel that Chevrolet is trying to avoid this problem and that I will have to escalate the issue by other means.

Black/ Natural (GBA/ HUV) Z51, 2LT, GT1, FE4, E60, NPP, Q8Q, VQK,...Was # 465 at Kerbeck,.TPW: 2/17/20, Status to 6000 on 3/20/20

Comment

Does the sound change when the brakes are applied?
                    I've never tried this with a Parking Brake like the C8, but does the sound change when the Parking Brake is applied?
                    I'm thinking it might be a brake pad rubbing. Either way that would eliminate a brake issue.
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

There is also on many cars, a metal panel that protects the rotor from debris. As a poor example, our Malibu has corrosion build up on it that rubs against the rotor until it clears itself.
                      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                      2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                      Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                      3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X