MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today With Keith Cornett: Latest Corvette News

Even though we're into the holiday season, there's still a lot of Corvette news! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-en2b43 Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com fill you in on what's going on.  Here are a few of the headlines discussed in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY:
1.  First pictures of the new right-hand-drive C8 Corvette headed to Japan
2. Lawsuit with GM about cracked Corvette Grand Sport wheels has been dismissed
3. C8 Corvette named to Car & Driver’s annual “10 Best” list for 2nd year in a row.
4. 2020 C8 Corvette goes on sale in the Middle East
5. Final production stats for the 2020 C8 announced
6. Nick Tandy to replace Oliver Gavin on Corvette Racing Team
7. Chevrolet celebrates IMSA championships with new commercial
8. The ’63 Split Window makes Hagerty’s list of coupes worth more than their convertible siblings
9. Procharger teases of a supercharged C8 Corvette
10. OnStar thwarts the theft of a 2020 C8 Corvette
Happy Holidays!
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Winter Storage of Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage of Corvette

I will be storing my car for the winter. Although I am sure that she would handle it; I won't drive her in -40 with 3 feet of snow on the ground.

For those that store their cars over the Winter what steps do you take?

For my past summer cars all I did was remove the battery, add some fuel stabilizer and kept it in a separate garage.

My Corvette will be in my double garage sharing space with my winter car.

My Plan (and please provide comments and suggestions)

1. Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer (Keep moisture out)
    2. full wash
    3. Battery tender plugged in
    4. Parking it on wood planks so that it doesn't sit on my concrete garage floor

Any other considerations? Should I use a car cover? I have always been concerned that car covers just become things that trap dirt and smack it against the paint if a breeze blows in to my garage. It also means that I can't look at my car....

Thanks!

For the C7, it is recommended to store with 1/4 tank of fuel or less (too keep the fuel level sending unit out of the fuel).

I wonder if GM has a similar recommendation or the C8?

I also inflate the tires to 45 psi during Winter storage, and rotate each wheel 180 degrees mid-Winter, to avoid tire flat spots.

A car cover is also used, to keep off dust and prevent scratches.
    My C8:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I use to Store my Vette, but after the last several years here in the Midwest you never know ...

If it's nice out and NO Salt on the Roads ... I have in the Garage Ready to go.

Besides, after waiting for this GD Car for Hell knows how long ... it's going to be in my Garage if I'm not driving it.
      Last edited by Plentyfast; 08-11-2020, 10:26 AM.
      Deposit placed w/Criswell on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone Sky Cool Grey
      Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I've done pretty much the same as you mentioned but use carpet with rubber bottoms rather then wood planks. But now I'm wondering given what Mobius mentioned about 1/4 tank. Anybody do anything extra for their C5?

Comment

leaving the tires at 45lbs for months seems a little concerning when it comes to sidewall shape. Goodyear suggests 25%, which would be 7 to 8 lbs above normal, at least for my C6.
          Status 3000. 2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
            leaving the tires at 45lbs for months seems a little concerning when it comes to sidewall shape. Goodyear suggests 25%, which would be 7 to 8 lbs above normal, at least for my C6.
            You definitely want to stay below the max rated pressure, which is 51 psi for the C8's all-season Michelins.

Adding pressure is largely to offset natural tire pressure loss over time. As an example, my C8 lost 3 psi in all four tires over the last 5 weeks, before I added air.

If you're more comfortable with 38 psi for winter storage, I'm ok with that.
            My C8:
            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
            '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Frank20 View Post
              I've done pretty much the same as you mentioned but use carpet with rubber bottoms rather then wood planks. But now I'm wondering given what Mobius mentioned about 1/4 tank. Anybody do anything extra for their C5?
              RaceRamps Flatstoppers 14" for anytime longer than a month

Deposit placed w/Criswell on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone Sky Cool Grey
              Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Here are the procedures that I followed for my 6th gen Camaro that I modified for my C8.
                Wash and vacuum car
                Fill up gas tank and put fuel stabilizer
                Inflate tires to 40psi
                Use carpet tiles to put under my tires
                Put fleece sheet inside the car and both the frunk and trunk to keep mice away
                Steel wool or fleece sheets inside the exhaust to keep mice away
                Plug in my trickle charger
                Put car cover on
                Put my 200 day countdown counter on and dream of the good times I had with my car and the ones to come

Comment

Up here in Canada, I'll drive as often as possible through the winter. It's surprising how many dry sunny days we can get. Not with snow on the road, but otherwise it'll go out for a drive. Don't want to waste the heated steering wheel and seat. My tires have had absolutely stable pressure. I don't expect air loss at all. The 2 sets I have for the Golf are the same. Keep pressure for months of storage.
                  2020 C8 Corvette
                  Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                  2LT, Z51 + MRC
                  Spectra Grey Tridents
                  Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
                    Up here in Canada, I'll drive as often as possible through the winter. It's surprising how many dry sunny days we can get. Not with snow on the road, but otherwise it'll go out for a drive. Don't want to waste the heated steering wheel and seat. My tires have had absolutely stable pressure. I don't expect air loss at all. The 2 sets I have for the Golf are the same. Keep pressure for months of storage.
                    How's the salting situation in Canada? I'm debating getting a set of winters in Chicago. I live in a high rise with people going in and out bring in salts and steaming them in the garage anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KK87 View Post

How's the salting situation in Canada? I'm debating getting a set of winters in Chicago. I live in a high rise with people going in and out bring in salts and steaming them in the garage anyway.
                      Varies by City. In Toronto it's heavily used. Where I live it doesn't seem to be used.
                      2020 C8 Corvette
                      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                      2LT, Z51 + MRC
                      Spectra Grey Tridents
                      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                        For the C7, it is recommended to store with 1/4 tank of fuel or less (too keep the fuel level sending unit out of the fuel).

I wonder if GM has a similar recommendation or the C8?

I also inflate the tires to 45 psi during Winter storage, and rotate each wheel 180 degrees mid-Winter, to avoid tire flat spots.

A car cover is also used, to keep off dust and prevent scratches.
                        , C8 is recommended to have 1/4 tank of fuel , per Corvette Expert Paul Koerner

Comment

Here in New Jersey I'll be taking the C8 out unless there is snow, then I'll take the Subaru.
                          Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Modern radial tires simply don't need anything to prevent flat spotting. No need for carpet, rotating tires, flatstoppers, or anything else. This was a problem with cotton ply bias ply tires, but not now. Any minor flat spots will disappear within a few miles of driving.

Adding a little extra pressure won't hurt, but isn't really needed, either. See above.

Unless you can make sure the paint is absolutely 100% free of even the tiniest amount of dirt, I think a cover is more likely to cause scratches when you put it on and take it off than to protect the paint. Unless maybe you're worried about cats climbing on your car.

Yes to a battery tender.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I have 9 collector cars and have covers on every one. Including my C8. I have never experienced scratches from the covers in decades. One of the cars is black. Just need the right covers.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X