MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Interviews Harlan Charles Re The C8 & More: ON NOW

What a wonderful Corvette Today podcast!!! Steve Garrett sits down with Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...enea/a-a2qtt60. Harlan talks about his early years with Chevrolet and how he became Product Manager for Corvette. He also discusses the cohesive work done by the entire Corvette team-from C5 through C8.  You'll learn about the evolution of the new mid-engine C8 Corvette and the steps taken to bring it to market. Plus, Harlan delves into the launch of the C8, the development of the strategy behind the mid-engine car.
See more
See less

WARNING - Official GM outdoor car cover staining car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING - Official GM outdoor car cover staining car

Warning to everyone, the fancy black GM outdoor car cover will stain your car after a few months of use, GM part # 84865968
    I purchased my cover from shopchevyparts.com on April 21st 2020 and began using it after delivery about two weeks later. I recently noticed a yellowing/discoloring occurring at all of the contact points where the car cover touches my car on the front nose and hood area of the car. Fortunately I have XPEL clear bra on the car so the staining has mostly affected it but there is a small section on the A pillar by the drivers door that I will have to have worked on by a detailer to remove. I am currently at American Wrap Company having the clear bra pulled and replaced which is costing me $1200.00 dollars.
    I have started a claim with GM via my dealer to reimburse me this as I am using their official GM outdoor cover that has a 12 month warranty, I will keep everyone posted on how they handle it.
    On a white car its extremely noticeable, some colors it would not be noticed so much but the cover is bleeding/staining wherever it has contact with the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	172979Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	172980

Darkk

Wow...i never used a cover nor have I ever planned too...yet I am sure those that would have appreciate your post.

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope someone other than you takes responsibility.
      Deposit on 2021 C8 June 18, 2020 - Dreaming of 2021 Red Mist 2LT Z51
      Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by darkkaangel View Post
        Warning to everyone, the fancy black GM outdoor car cover will stain your car after a few months of use, GM part # 84865968
        I purchased my cover from shopchevyparts.com on April 21st 2020 and began using it after delivery about two weeks later. I recently noticed a yellowing/discoloring occurring at all of the contact points where the car cover touches my car on the front nose and hood area of the car. Fortunately I have XPEL clear bra on the car so the staining has mostly affected it but there is a small section on the A pillar by the drivers door that I will have to have worked on by a detailer to remove. I am currently at American Wrap Company having the clear bra pulled and replaced which is costing me $1200.00 dollars.
        I have started a claim with GM via my dealer to reimburse me this as I am using their official GM outdoor cover that has a 12 month warranty, I will keep everyone posted on how they handle it.
        On a white car its extremely noticeable, some colors it would not be noticed so much but the cover is bleeding/staining wherever it has contact with the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	172979Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	172980
        Did the car cover ever get wet and then warmed up by the sun? I had a cover on my 911 and water got under the cover and then the sun heated it up and moisture seeped into the clear coat (according to the dealer) and yellowed it. Mine looked like a hazy yellow fog was under the clear coat and the hood had to be repainted and clear coated. I never used an outdoor cover after that incident.

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post

Did the car cover ever get wet and then warmed up by the sun? I had a cover on my 911 and water got under the cover and then the sun heated it up and moisture seeped into the clear coat (according to the dealer) and yellowed it. Mine looked like a hazy yellow fog was under the clear coat and the hood had to be repainted and clear coated. I never used an outdoor cover after that incident.
          No it never got rained on but a lot heat from the sun for sure as its black and it had faded in just the short few months I had used it but I can tell you I will never use an outdoor cover again after this experience. Its an official GM part so I thought it would be the perfect solution to keeping the car cleaner and protect it since its parked a lot with me working from home right now, but sadly it did not turn out that way.
          Darkk

Comment

That's truly a shame it happen. Hoping all works out for you
            Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

I really feel sorry for you. But just because something is sold doesn't mean it's a good product. I bet GM will blame it on the PFF.
              Zeus Bronze HTC, 3LT, Natural Dipped, Q8T Spectra Gray Trident Wheels, NPP Performance Exhaust, ZYC Carbon Flash Exterior Mirrors, DRG Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, E60 Adjustable Front Lift, D84 Carbon Flash Convertible Top and Nacelles, and R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

The cover is Black. The yellowing you are seeing is from the adhesive side of PPF. This has been a common problem with PPF for many years. The heat and glue on the underside of the film discolors in high heat conditions. Usually only noticeable on light color vehicles.
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                  The cover is Black. The yellowing you are seeing is from the adhesive side of PPF. This has been a common problem with PPF for many years. The heat and glue on the underside of the film discolors in high heat conditions. Usually only noticeable on light color vehicles.
                  Sorry but that is not correct, the yellowing is also on the paint on the A pillar where there is no film at all and where the cover has contact with the car and the only yellowing on the film protected areas is the high contact points of the car (the creases for lack of a better word) and no where on the flat sections of the film and if what you say was true it would show yellow everywhere in the film and not just the creases/contact points where the cover touches the car.
                  I had the same XPEL 10 year film on my 2015 Arctic White C7 for 6 years and never had this issue, the difference is I never used a car cover on my C7.
                  Its very clear what happened and it is heat related but its the cover causing the damage and the only thing that saved the back of my car from damage is the high wing spoiler kept the cover off of the car so it never touched.

On a positive note, the film has been replaced and it looks like new again and my detailer is coming tomorrow to address the A pillar area and then I will be good to go and just be left with trying to get GM to stand behind their product.
                  If not I will make quite the issue out of it and I would prefer not to have to do that but **** it its their cover they created the issue.
                  And if anyone does not want to believe this, then feel free to buy the GM outdoor cover and use it, but don't say I did not warn you.
                  Last edited by darkkaangel; 07-30-2020, 10:50 PM.
                  Darkk

Comment

Thanks for the warning, I'm using the same cover.

Haven't noticed any discoloration yet but I've got a Torch Red car so it would probably be harder to see. I'll check it out more closely on the weekend. I normally use CoverCraft's Weathershield but they didn't yet have a pattern for the C8 back when I needed to buy an outdoor cover.

Comment

Similar situation, I use coveral tire dressing, I got some on the white paint and it stained. The manufacturer suggested letting it sit in the sun, that worked. Didn't want to use compound on a new car.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post
                        I normally use CoverCraft's Weathershield but they didn't yet have a pattern for the C8 back when I needed to buy an outdoor cover.

BTW CoverCraft now has the Weathershield for both base and Z51 C8s. I have the C8 Weathershield HD cover sitting here now while I wait to pick up my car. I've used the Weathershied HD cover often on my 2014 C7 for six years with no prob and am very pleased with it.

Comment

I included one of the car covers in my order. Too late to make a change at 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post
                            Thanks for the warning, I'm using the same cover.

Haven't noticed any discoloration yet but I've got a Torch Red car so it would probably be harder to see. I'll check it out more closely on the weekend. I normally use CoverCraft's Weathershield but they didn't yet have a pattern for the C8 back when I needed to buy an outdoor cover.
                            Yeah keep a close eye, it took a few months of use before I noticed what was happening so it is not some overnight thing. My detail guy was able to get the staining off my paint today so everything is good except for all of the money I am currently out. Whoever is making the GM outdoor cover is using a cheap material/dye and when it heats up that is when the trouble starts and on an outdoor cover that should never happen.
                            Darkk

Comment

DO NOT COVER YOUR CAR INDOORS OR OUTDOORS for at least 3 months. the paint on the car needs that time to fully cure..............
                              says a dealer with 25 years experience.........

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X