MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
2 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 4 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Touch up paint from Home Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch up paint from Home Depot

I'm sure this will horrify most of you, but I discovered I can repair a small curb rash on my torch red car with a can of Rust-Oleum red gloss paint from Home Depot. Here are the before and after pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200715_085023~2.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	171268Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_154029.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	171269
    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Well, there's a good reason to to with TR. No way you'll find a Rustoleum that matches Red Mist.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

If you like Torch Red...
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

A very cheap DIY.
        Looking forward to our ME arriving.

Comment

Imagine trying to match Zeuss Bronze
          I'm sure this wont be the last time. A little sanding with paper ranging from 100 to 1200, 3 coats of Rustoleum, and I'll be more careful around curbs.

This could be a warning to those of you who have not yet received your car. First, the bodywork will hit the curb before the tire does, but you won't hear a sound, you'll just notice the scratch later. Second, if you have a narrow garage entrance like I do, my garage is actually a hundred year old carriage house, do not rest easy once the mirror passes the entrance, because you could still hit the side scoop on the way in.
          Last edited by WillRockwell; 07-26-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            If you like Torch Red...
            My wife said I could have any car I want as long as it's red. Also, since I got the car 2 weeks ago, I've had at least a dozen people say it looks like a Ferrari. The red helps.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              If you like Torch Red...
              I do. If my car isn't Red Mist, it will be TR.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                I'm sure this will horrify most of you, but I discovered I can repair a small curb rash on my torch red car with a can of Rust-Oleum red gloss paint from Home Depot. Here are the before and after pictures

Name:	20200715_085023~2.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	171268Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_154029.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	171269
                Oh, I am not as horrified as the second owner will be.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

My wife said I could have any car I want as long as it's red. Also, since I got the car 2 weeks ago, I've had at least a dozen people say it looks like a Ferrari. The red helps.
                  It does look like a Ferrari. Just don't go slapping a prancing horse decal on it!

Comment

Curious, did you topcoat it with a Clear coat? I have purchased "matching paint" from companies in the past, usually right before lease turn in..., and it never looks like a match "until" I apply the clear coat. Then it all blends in and matches the gloss.

BTW, I bet you are the only guy on here that would spray his new C8 with a $3 rattle can from Home Depot, lol! A guess part of the benefit of paying $60k for a midengine sports car, vs. $300k+ for a midengine sports car! : )

Comment

Good Job, just remember, a scratch only builds character for the car and ulcers for the owner 😂
                      Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
                      Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Todds911 View Post
                        Curious, did you topcoat it with a Clear coat? I have purchased "matching paint" from companies in the past, usually right before lease turn in..., and it never looks like a match "until" I apply the clear coat. Then it all blends in and matches the gloss.

BTW, I bet you are the only guy on here that would spray his new C8 with a $3 rattle can from Home Depot, lol! A guess part of the benefit of paying $60k for a midengine sports car, vs. $300k+ for a midengine sports car! : )
                        Or you can file a claim and fork over the deductible 😜
                        Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
                        Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post

Oh, I am not as horrified as the second owner will be.
                          (Cringe) MY eyes are bad too with out my glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Todds911 View Post

I got lucky feathering the paint together and didnt want to push my luck with clear coat, but I considered it. My body shop looked at it and would have happily done the job, but this will probably happen again.
                            I noticed in my pictures that a bit of red got on the black skirt, I got it off today with mineral spirits.

Comment

The paint I used is Rustoleum Gloss Cherry, 248568. It's an exact match for Torch Red.

Name:	20200727_140551.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	171617Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_140557.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	171618

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X