MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Corvette Today” Podcast Interview Justin of HorsePower Obsessed On Now

Steve Garrett delves into the world of YouTube re Corvettes for the first time! He speaks to Justin from HorsePower Obsessed. Learn how people make money on YouTube, hear about Justin's 2019 Black ZR1 Big Wing, and about the C8 he has on order. And also hear about Steve's C7 Stingray Carbon Fiber Edition Corvette. For current and past podcast links: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-available-now
See more
See less

1st Autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Autocross

With all that is happening now we finally got to our first autocross Sunday. Temps were about 70 degrees and sunny. The track was at an airstrip where we have run before. to say the learning curve was steep going from a C7 Z06 to the C8 would be an understatement. In race mode understeer or oversteer was so dependent on throttle you are really rewarded for being smooth. Too much throttle coming out of a corner and it would push. Turn in on the brakes was wicked good. The 4s tires were finicky as they warmed up so you have to keep an eye on pressures. Understeer became more noticeable as the tires warmed up.

The engine is very quiet and shifting manually by ear was not easy. In a few places the DCT would upshift to 3rd for a second before slowing for the next gate and not downshift, and then I was in the wrong gear, so manual mode worked better. The HUD rev counter was hard to see with my sunglasses on. I will try other tints of sunglasses to see if one works better.

Overall the car was easy to drive fast and my best time was 0.4 sec slower than a C7 GS who he and I have traded fast times of the day for the last 2 years. My fastest run was far from perfect on my part so I would say the first day out was a success. My wife also loved day 1. Z mode makes setup easier for her and the DCT worked well. Lots of smiles all around, including in the pits!

Born Feb 26, 2020! GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet black/suede interior; Yellow stitching and belts. Z51 & Mag Ride; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers;

Was it only corvettes? Interested in how you did against other type of cars.
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/19, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 now July 27. tomorrow? Who knows.

Comment

Sounds like a fun day and the weather sounded wonderful. 94 here and no C8.

Comment

I am sooooo envious!

Our autocross season is still on hold and I really, really miss the action. Your comment about being smooth is interesting since that's the way I tend approach things, rather than man-handling a car to try to get around its deficiencies.

A few questions if you don't mind:
        • You mention being in Track driver mode, what PTM setting did you use? Do any experimenting with different ones?
        • Any issues with helmet clearance, not just vertically but also did you feel the headrest was too close or far enough away?
        • What was the surface like, e.g. old runway with lots of cracks around the expansion joints or in better condition?
        • About how long was the course?
        • Where did you put the car number? On my C6 I use the glass just behind the B-pillar, but that's not going to work on the C8.
        Thanks for the report, you lucky dog!

Comment

Nice write-up. Can I assume that the car was run with the factory alignment settings?

My car was built last week and it looks like I will have the dealer perform the trans fluid addition, do a moderate lowering, align to the recommended track settings. Dealer has a tech that does track day/autox prep work so I have full confidence that it'll be done as if I had the time to do it myself. I've already got a set of Finspeed wheels with Bridgestone RE-71R tires ready to go. With autox events opening up here in the upper midwest, I'm ready to get out there with the C8 as soon as I get it and put on the break-in miles (long road trips every day as soon as I get the car). Ran my first event, as well as the first event of the SCCA Northwest Ohio Region yesterday in my C5 Z06 (pictured in the avatar).
          Al Chan
          C8 configuration: Z51/FE4 2LT Coupe; Long Beach Red/Natural Napa competition bucket seats; some other minor stuff
          Other Corvette experiences: '69 427/390 coupe; '92 Z07 coupe; '03 Z06; '09 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by acrace View Post
            I've already got a set of Finspeed wheels with Bridgestone RE-71R tires ready to go.
            Did you go with a 19" rear wheel to get the RE-71R's? I was under the impression that a 305/30-20, or anything close, was not available yet.

Hope you get your car soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Did you go with a 19" rear wheel to get the RE-71R's? I was under the impression that a 305/30-20, or anything close, was not available yet.

Hope you get your car soon!
              Yes, I got a set of 18"/19" wheels and am running (or more accurately, will be running) the 265/18 in the front and the 305/19 in the rear.
              Al Chan
              C8 configuration: Z51/FE4 2LT Coupe; Long Beach Red/Natural Napa competition bucket seats; some other minor stuff
              Other Corvette experiences: '69 427/390 coupe; '92 Z07 coupe; '03 Z06; '09 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post
                I am sooooo envious!

Our autocross season is still on hold and I really, really miss the action. Your comment about being smooth is interesting since that's the way I tend approach things, rather than man-handling a car to try to get around its deficiencies.

A few questions if you don't mind:
                • You mention being in Track driver mode, what PTM setting did you use? Do any experimenting with different ones?
                • Any issues with helmet clearance, not just vertically but also did you feel the headrest was too close or far enough away?
                • What was the surface like, e.g. old runway with lots of cracks around the expansion joints or in better condition?
                • About how long was the course?
                • Where did you put the car number? On my C6 I use the glass just behind the B-pillar, but that's not going to work on the C8.
                Thanks for the report, you lucky dog!
                To answer the questions:

It was a sports car club event open to all makes. Our Corvette slalom season was cancelled but the local Sports car club is running 2 day weekend events the rest of the summer to play catch up. I was about 2 seconds off the race prepped street cars ( full mod and prepped gt350 or M3, SCCA Champ) on a 58 second lap.
                It was stock alignment. I believe the track alignment would make a big difference.
                PTM track. no issues with control. The car does not overpower the tires so no close calls. I did not try other settings yet.
                helmet clearance was better than C7 by about 2 to 3 inches. The C8 definitely has more headroom ( I am 6'2"). No issues with headrest.
                Old runway that was in fairly good shape with few seams. It gained traction as it was cleaned off.
                Car number was using painters tape on the rear side window and hatch. I like to run with the windows down.
                I think RE71R's would be a big difference. The car could definitely handle more outright grip. The chassis on the brakes is amazing, I was underbraking for most runs. The chassis works very well and reacts great, I need to adapt my driving style to the ME.

If the stars align there is an Autocross at a different airport this weekend which is much wider and has very good pavement. I hope to take both the C7 and C8.
                Born Feb 26, 2020! GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet black/suede interior; Yellow stitching and belts. Z51 & Mag Ride; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers;

Comment

Originally posted by BYBY4RE View Post
                  With all that is happening now we finally got to our first autocross Sunday. Temps were about 70 degrees and sunny. The track was at an airstrip where we have run before. to say the learning curve was steep going from a C7 Z06 to the C8 would be an understatement. In race mode understeer or oversteer was so dependent on throttle you are really rewarded for being smooth. Too much throttle coming out of a corner and it would push. Turn in on the brakes was wicked good. The 4s tires were finicky as they warmed up so you have to keep an eye on pressures. Understeer became more noticeable as the tires warmed up.

The engine is very quiet and shifting manually by ear was not easy. In a few places the DCT would upshift to 3rd for a second before slowing for the next gate and not downshift, and then I was in the wrong gear, so manual mode worked better. The HUD rev counter was hard to see with my sunglasses on. I will try other tints of sunglasses to see if one works better.

Overall the car was easy to drive fast and my best time was 0.4 sec slower than a C7 GS who he and I have traded fast times of the day for the last 2 years. My fastest run was far from perfect on my part so I would say the first day out was a success. My wife also loved day 1. Z mode makes setup easier for her and the DCT worked well. Lots of smiles all around, including in the pits!
                  Great review. Love your precise analysis and descriptions!. I am not surprised with your one sentence, “to say the learning curve was steep going from a C7 Z06 to the C8 would be an understatement,” is itself an understatement. I ran the same 38 miles of curvy Corvette cornering road about 50 times in my C7 Z06, and my first time in my C8 last week was neither as fast nor as relaxed. But doing it in reverse was faster and I was starting to grin. I expect it will take me five to ten more runs to know that I am going faster in our C8. Hence why I am already enrolled in Spring Mountain for a fall class. I will use the time between now and then to become totally relaxed and even faster in our car, then SM’s training and track time to built on that confidence and my skill level.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_140055.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	162186 Another beautiful day autox . But my son is much faster than me.Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_113250.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.50 MB ID:	162182
                    Last edited by BYBY4RE; Today, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BYBY4RE View Post
                      Another beautiful day autox . But my son is much faster than me.
                      Nice! Looks like perfect weather. Has the son been banished from future events?
                      (just kidding, it's always great to involve the family in these things)

We're having a Test 'n' Tune in a couple of weeks, which also acts as a test for the new Covid-19 era procedures, so hopefully I'll be able to get my fix soon!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X