MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Brake Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Calipers

My C8 was delivered May 4th. Upon inspection, my yellow brake calipers had defects in finishing.
    Finish texture was Matte with metal on one wheel, 50% glossy with matte area on 2 and the last was almost totally gloss finish with matte areas at metal angles and attachment points. Dealer stated the calipers would be replaced. Service manager contacted Chevy....engineer stated, “this is normal” and the calipers would not be replaced. I think not! All four should match. Would greatly appreciate new owners feedback regarding special order color caliper finish...matte or glossy and color. Thnx

@ 3000 status........great ANOTHER defect to worry about on a long list of many.........sorry for your problems

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyjedi View Post
      My C8 was delivered May 4th. Upon inspection, my yellow brake calipers had defects in finishing.
      Finish texture was Matte with metal on one wheel, 50% glossy with matte area on 2 and the last was almost totally gloss finish with matte areas at metal angles and attachment points. Dealer stated the calipers would be replaced. Service manager contacted Chevy....engineer stated, “this is normal” and the calipers would not be replaced. I think not! All four should match. Would greatly appreciate new owners feedback regarding special order color caliper finish...matte or glossy and color. Thnx
      You paid a premium price for colored calipers. They should be perfect.

Have your dealer contact the area rep, and complain until they are replaced and to your satisfaction.
      Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
      Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
      3000 TPW ????????????

Comment

do the CALIPERS come from ITALY ?

Comment

Brembo seems to take great pride in their quality - maybe an email to Brembo with good photos might help your case?

Comment

Yes, Brembo paints their calipers.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Sounds like a bad experience. I am sure if you get to the right person they will be replaced. A little surprised an Engineer?? got involved to give you untruthful information. They should all match perfectly. The profit margin on painted calipers is extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by COBB*4191 View Post
                @ 3000 status........great ANOTHER defect to worry about on a long list of many.........sorry for your problems
                If all you do is worry, perhaps a Corvette is not for you. Every car has isolated issues. This is the first set of C8 calipers with this problem.

Instead of worrying as you are, Disneyjedi will instead positively follow USCANAM’s exact and excellent advice.

Comment

I have done all the leg work tracking this car...dealer little help. The buying experience of this vehicle is too difficult to describe. I’ve spoken with GM, I’ve spoken with Concierge, dealership service manager regarding calipers. The defect is unacceptable. Conceirge stated they would escalate my concern. I’m most disappointed that the service manager is in agreement the finish is defective but his hands are tied obtaining replacement. Another infinite loop. Talk to dealer who talks to Chevy, told to contact Conceirge who sends me back to dealer.
                  iIn addition a vehicle costing way north of $100K...it’s not a worry it’s a QC issue. And this is my 5th Vette. I drive Tesla’s a MX P100D and Hummers, many other GM’s. All with minor issues that were solved quickly if their were defects upon delivery.

Comment

I guess I got lucky. I did not order colored calipers.

Comment

Let us not assume that one badly painted set is a reason to not order something wants. Living life that way truly would be horrid.

I have seen over 100 C8’s and every one of them had excellent caliper paint. I am sorry for the OP, but this will get resolved via the zone rep (exactly as USCANAM
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Pictures of the matte one and a glossy one?
                        Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyjedi View Post
                          I have done all the leg work tracking this car...dealer little help. The buying experience of this vehicle is too difficult to describe. I’ve spoken with GM, I’ve spoken with Concierge, dealership service manager regarding calipers. The defect is unacceptable. Conceirge stated they would escalate my concern. I’m most disappointed that the service manager is in agreement the finish is defective but his hands are tied obtaining replacement. Another infinite loop. Talk to dealer who talks to Chevy, told to contact Conceirge who sends me back to dealer.
                          iIn addition a vehicle costing way north of $100K...it’s not a worry it’s a QC issue. And this is my 5th Vette. I drive Tesla’s a MX P100D and Hummers, many other GM’s. All with minor issues that were solved quickly if their were defects upon delivery.
                          I don't understand why the service manager is not going to bat for you. The dealership is paid by GM for any warranty work.

When I mentioned that you have to talk to the area rep, I stated that from bitter experience.

Unfortunately, if GM does not resolve this quickly for you, you are going to have to start the process in motion and be relentless.

This is what I had to do.
                          I basically picked up my new 2015 C7 from the dealership in East Providence R.I. and drove it almost 4000 to Florida and back.
                          Noticed the car had a tendency to pull slightly right. Tire pressures were equal and doing some research while away found that sometimes swapping front wheels will cure the problem.

On the way back I timed it so the dealer would be open. Complained about the steering and they put car on hoist and swapped front wheels. No difference noted on 44 mile drive home.

Next was to go back to dealer for an alignment and they said all numbers were in the green. I asked them to keep numbers in the green, but on the edge and build a little left steering into the alignment. No improvement.
                          Then the service manager said to me that he was not going to put a new steering rack in the car. I told him it didn't need a new steering rack, just plug in the computer and adjust the electric power steering. Can't do that I was told. This should have alerted me then,

Finally, I decided to let an experienced friend that ran a Chevy dealership at one time, drive the car and give me an opinion. After a while I got the comment that it appeared that it was easier to turn the car to the right, then to the left.

Took car home, raised the front wheels off the ground, started engine, and hung a one pound weight on right side of steering wheel and photographed the amount of movement. Did the same thing with left side of steering wheel and took a photo. Result was about 45's more movement on right side. Sent the results to dealership service manager. Dropped car off and he claimed he tried same thing and steering was fine. Then he admitted he did it with wheels on the ground and used the centering cones from the wheel balance machine as weights.

Finally, after over a year of this hassle, I got a call from the service manager that the area rep was coming over to evaluate the problem. He and the service manager took the car for a 72 mile ride, came back and said it was fine.

Then my next step was to the sales manager , then the owner of the dealership..

Few days later I got a call from the service manager that under the guise of the Customer Satisfaction Program, GM was going to replace the steering rack at a warranty cost of about $3000.

After rack was installed, just driving the car out the dealership's driveway, I could tell I had a different and correct car.

When I got home, I started reading the service report, and besides stating a new rack was installed, it also said programmed rack. Immediately got on phone and asked service manager why they didn't do that from day one. Reply was that it's a one time program, and cannot be reset. So the problem was when it was is programmed at the factory.

The service manager knew what the problem was all the time, and was probably hoping that I would just drop the issue. Remember he said he was not going to change the rack!

Obviously what I have described here is different from your problem, but you might have to adapt some similar tactics in order to achieve satisfaction.

Probably put over a 1000 miles on car over the 14 months it took to resolve this issue, going back and forth to the dealer.

Be diligent, and you will be successful.
                          Just too bad you have to be put through the hassle.
                          Last edited by USCANAM; 05-23-2020, 07:28 PM.
                          Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
                          Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
                          3000 TPW ????????????

Comment

Chevy Customer Service is now on the forum. I would raise this with them, as well.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...t-svc%E2%80%9D
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                              I guess I got lucky. I did not order colored calipers.
                              Good move, my experience with Porsche brakes was that red calipers fade to orangish when used to their full potential
                              LT2
                              Ceramic Gray Metallic
                              HTM Trim Jet Black
                              5ZZ LPO High Wing Spoiler
                              T19 Seat Belt Color Black
                              AE4 Seat Competition Sport Bucket
                              E60 Front Lift
                              Q8Q 5-open spoke Carbon Flash
                              FE4 Suspension Z51 Magnetic Selective Ride Control
                              Z51 Performance package

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X