MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

This whole C8 thing reminds of the porsche Boxster in 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This whole C8 thing reminds of the porsche Boxster in 1996

This whole C8 thing reminds me so much of the release of the Porsche Boxter in 1996 is was the same madness trying to get a car but by model-year 1997 everyone that wanted one got one so **** the torpedos full speed ahead

I agree. I was right in the middle of that madness. I ended up with a 1998 that still required advance purchase and a several month wait for delivery.
    As painful as that wait, it is no where close to this wait for the C8.
    B&B

Comment

Yes and Porsche enthusiasts had little or no tolerance for any kind of humor at all. I remember in the boxter forums they were much more rabid then what you have here

Comment

Originally posted by BlkandBlueVette View Post
        I agree. I was right in the middle of that madness. I ended up with a 1998 that still required advance purchase and a several month wait for delivery.
        As painful as that wait, it is no where close to this wait for the C8.
        B&B
        X2, has some similarities but no where in the same realm. Every muscle head I know is interested!

Comment

Back in 1998 i had test drove a new c5 corvette z51 with newly announced active handling. I was invited to a autox by GM with no sales pressure or salemen etc...i think it was july?

I remember driving home thinking for around 40 grand I can have that car...i ordered it over the phone and 6 or seven weeks later the saleman called from out of state your corvette came in..

wonderful buying experience...

As far as the boxster today? I think porsche just relocated its production facility and the porsche dealers are sending massive amounts of email for me to buy a cayman or boxster...

its like the porsche dealers know the 500 hp rear mid engome corvette for 60 or 70 grand is coming...
          Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

Originally posted by stryker1969 View Post
            This whole C8 thing reminds me so much of the release of the Porsche Boxter in 1996 is was the same madness trying to get a car but by model-year 1997 everyone that wanted one got one so **** the torpedos full speed ahead
            Just like so many C5 lovers not getting theirs when they wanted, instead getting theirs in the early part of the 1998 (second C5 year of production). Let we forget also a much more recent Corvette delivery timing matter, that 1,150 folks who were told that they would be getting their 2014 C7 that year, never did, and theirs become the first produced 2015’s. GM nicely did some create “financing” and those 1,150 were spared the 2015’s price increase (and as they got it before the second one went into effect that year, missed that second 2015 price increase too).

Whenever demand exceeds supply...

There will be thousands who still have not awakened to the C8, have not yet talked with a dealer, who will wake up in the next few months and try to get a 2020 C8. Unless they are willing to pay mega-thousands over stickers, or luckily walk into a 1 in 1,000 fluke, they will have to wait until the 2021’s.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by stryker1969 View Post
              In June 1996, my wife and I were in NC for a family reunion, and spent a night at a motel just off an exit on Interstate 95. That evening, an "entourage" of vehicles arrived and crowded into the back parking spaces of the lot. Three or four of them were very heavily camo'ed Porsche Boxsters and several vans as support vehicles. I took a bunch of pictures and talked with some of the guys working around the cars. They all had German accents that I spoke with, and all were very friendly and not at all opposed to my questions and interest in the cars. The next morning, as we were getting ready to leave, I noticed 4 or 5 of the German drivers/engineers/technicians standing in the parking lot staring at a brand new Boston Whaler on a trailer that had arrived overnight. I had to take a picture of that! What they were excited and talking about were the twin V6, 300 HP Merc cruisers hanging off the stern. They were very impressed, and said they would never see anything like that in Germany. Gearheads are the same all around the world - always interested in new and different technologies.

Somewhere in my many boxes of 35mm slides are those early Boxster photos. Someday, I'll find them and scan them into digital to share.
              The twisty back roads of NH's Monadnock Region surrounding my hometown wait patiently for our Torch Red HTC, Z51 & MRC equipped (to smooth out the leftover Frost Heaves), to come cruising after a Springtime Museum Delivery. A 55 year dream come true.

Comment

I just hope that new 1st time potential Corvette owners don't get so frustrated either by their local dealer's ignorance or deceptive practices or just the overwhelming demand for the C8, that they give up and move on! I had a frustrating experience when I ordered my 2015 C7 from a local dealer. Unfortunately, that same scenario seems to play out every day with so many forum members that don't understand the system with their frustrations being documented on the forum. It's been said many times as well, Chevrolet needs to do a better job of upgrading their dealer's service for Corvettes specifically. I often say that I return to a restaurant that gives good service more than I do to one that just has good food!
                GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

Couldn't agree more! All I want to know is where I stand in line and that the line won't be changed or others allowed to break in.
                  Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by whl3 View Post
                    I just hope that new 1st time potential Corvette owners don't get so frustrated either by their local dealer's ignorance or deceptive practices or just the overwhelming demand for the C8, that they give up and move on!
                    The problem is how, it seems, Chevrolet was ignorant of the demand for the C8. They have been totally unprepared (aside from the strike). I shouldn't have to wait more than 6 weeks for a car! In my ignorance I didn't know the C8 was coming until I saw it in the papers (or equivalent). And then I had no idea what the demand would be, but I wasn't going to put down a deposit until I was certain it was going to be produced (July 19 2019). I checked with my wife and the bank and 2 weeks later I put down a deposit. AND I will likely have to wait 10 to 12 months since putting down a deposit for my C8. Just doesn't seem reasonable.
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

In some ways it's like shopping at the supermarket the longer you are waiting to check out the more things people put back and decide they really want to buy. Corvette people are going to buy this car no matter what the waite, People like myself, people given eight months to wait for a car the people you hooked, in the beginning, might not decide to stick around. I need a car in a cretin time frame when my lease is up I need a car if it's not a corvette it will be something else. Don't say it doesn't matter someone else will take my spot, that only lasts so long then they will looking for fannys to be putting in those seats. otherwise, there would have never been any c7 on Chevrolet dealer lots

Comment

Murry20c8 and Stryker1969, I didn’t stutter! Since you joined this forum, I would think that above all others who haven’t joined or participated, you two and other new forum members are probably more avid gearheads/automotive enthusiast than those who have abstained and have no clue! I somewhat disagree that CHEVROLET hasn’t taken steps to increase production. Only two years ago, Kia Spande, the BGA manager was quoted as saying that BGA would never produce more than 28,000 Corvettes a year. At the final unveiling Mary Bara announced 500 additional new hires for a second shift which they had never previously had. Bringing those 500 people up to speed will take some time. Also, demand for the C8 was not predicated on previous Corvette owners accepting a ME Corvette. Hell, they didn’t like abandoning round taillights on the C7! More than anything, the six week strike after the C8’s announcement killed them. The whole 800 million BGA expansion for the C8 was a real crapshoot! And as John has many times stated, Chevrolet is not making a dime off that investment until the first customer car is released from BGA. I think Tadge is long past losing sleep over the C8’s acceptance. He and Mark and Mary and Kia lose nightly sleep in trying to figure out how they are going to quickly satisfy the current demand for the C8 without sacrificing quality! I feel your pain as I mentioned my anguish with my C7. I’ve been on a “list” since August of 2018 and I was frustrated in not making 2000 in this December consensus! As I told Mike, when the good lord was giving out the virtue of patience, I was in the beer line! My time and your time will come. I hope you and others will stay the course! In the meantime, come to the Museum’s BASH in April and get the straight “skinny” from Tadge himself!

Bill
                        GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

I'm a full believer that If Jesus was alive he would be standing on 446 W holding up a neon sign screaming "Now Is The Time"

Comment

Originally posted by whl3 View Post
                            Murry20c8 and Stryker1969, I didn’t stutter!
                            Sorry? Not sure what you mean. I just stated my opinion about GM. Running a business is all about informed decisions. If GM wasn't informed, who is at fault? GM has always lagged behind the competition. Why? I don't know but I have an opinion. They were glutted. Now they have reduced their belly fat and seem to be trying to lead. Leading is always a gamble. BUT it is an informed gamble. What was that term in the other thread? "preparation". I am not deterred. A mid engine supercar at an affordable price? I'm in! Whatever it takes!
                            Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                            Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

The Boxster was a remarkable sports car at a bargain price ,,,,,, but the C8 will never be know as a secretaries car....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X