See less

PDI: What Do I Need To Know/Tell Dealer/Verify For My Pre Delivery Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDI: What Do I Need To Know/Tell Dealer/Verify For My Pre Delivery Inspection

Some insight will help me here as a first time Corvette owner. Here are a couple things that come to mind but am sure there are many others? Also, when I go to pick up the car what do I need to verify/look for?

1. Make sure they don't install front license plate

2. Make sure they don't put some type of dealer tag on the body of the car

3. Make sure they fill with Premium gas NOT regular

4. ???
    Last edited by jeff58; 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM.

Great thread Jeff. We will more into it over time.

Really good cautions. One to double up on, is that most dealerships only have regular fuel, so I always tell them “do not fuel,” then go down the street to the Shell station.

Here is our earlier thread on this same PDI subject. There is critically important info with it.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...di-dealer-prep
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

My strongest section caution: Take an OCD gear-head friend with you to accompany you during your inspection. Each to have your own notepads/cells to write things down that you see as you separately work your way around the car; each shall inspect100% of the exterior, 100% of the interior; 100% of the frunk and the trunk/engine compartment.

Once the PDI is done, and as noted in the attached thread your own inspection has also been completed done, then and only then is when you first head to the finance person. If there is anything amiss, you need to have it placed into writing into their computer file, with a copy printed out for you noting every item and that form must be on the dealership letterhead signed/date by both the Service Manager and by the Salesperson.

A cell phone is your friend and hopefully you have taken a picture of every single item you have noted. Have you politely then taken the Service person and your Salesperson and gone around the car so he/she has also seen everything you have seen.

I can not post this enough times, to take your time to do your own inspection. Make sure you wear clothes that will allow you to get on your knees, that you have the best possible flashlight with great batteries with you, that you inspect the outsides and insides of every wheel and every tire, the front and rear four corner of the vehicle (the undersides too), and the undersides of exhaust tips —for while the car’s often leave the factory excellent, it is the loading and unloading onto the transporters, the “lot persons” driving them around the dealership that, if there is any damage, such damaged has typically been caused after it has left the factory.

Fact: Whether it is a Ferrari, a Rolls Royce, or a Chevy Sonic, 1% of ALL MOTOR vehicles are damaged in transit. Ferrari even has a dedicated facility in the Port of Baltimore where they again inspect every Ferrari coming into the U.S., where they fix 100% of what they have found that has been damaged in transit from Italy.

Now jumping to the other side of the fairness issue, that if you come back to the dealership two weeks after you initially picked it up, and now have a scuffed outer wheel rim, I understand if the dealership is not willing to replace a wheel under warranty, for did you do it during the last two weeks?
      Had you done your outstanding, lengthy inspection, and documented everything before you went in to the finance person before you left the dealership, there would never be such potential contentious issues.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

One thing that is of concern is the capability of the dealership to properly detail the car without causing harm to the paint surface. I have seen many dealer prepped cars that can cause you alot of work correcting all the swirl marks and actual damage caused by incompetent "detailers." My dealer has a pretty good, professional detail team that I have faith in. I would make it your business to ascertain the level of competence of the dealer's detailers by speaking with others who have purchased cars there. You may want them to do nothing with the paint if you or someone you know possesses the skills to detail the car the right way.

Congratulations on your first Corvette!!

Comment

Since torque is limited to 75% for the first 500 miles I wonder if the octane of the gas matters during this period.

I picked up my new Golf R last year on a cold dull day. Only later under bright sun did I notice a scratch across the roof. Looked like someone dragged off a cover. Luckily a local place was able to buff it out, but I've been kicking myself since for not paying enough attention when I picked it up.

That front licence plate issue mentioned by the OP doesn't exist any more, does it?
          Last edited by Bikerjulio; 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM.
          2020 C8 Corvette ....... TPW 2/03/20
          Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
          Z51 + MRC
          Spectra Grey Tridents
          Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Comment

I’m planning on a Museum Delivery, any suggestions / experience on PDI there?

Comment

I do my own PDI and I can report that dealers that I have used failed to do a good PDI. I mean all of them. When ask for a survey I try to be constructive so I recommend "why not train one or two people to PDI and post delivery work on the Corvette. I have a few friends who had their cars overfilled with oil. A little messy. Un educated tech. If a dealer had qualified Corvette techs then I would drive a hundred plus miles to get the advertised service. I do believe the museum does it right. I will try the museum next Corvette. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

Originally posted by jeff58 View Post
                Some insight will help me here as a first time Corvette owner. Here are a couple things that come to mind but am sure there are many others? Also, when I go to pick up the car what do I need to verify/look for?

1. Make sure they don't install front license plate

2. Make sure they don't put some type of dealer tag on the body of the car

3. Make sure they fill with Premium gas NOT regular

4. ???
                I would not allow them to wash the car. The last thing you want is a lot porter using dirty rags and a broom on your C8 paint. I intend on doing courtesy delivery and will instruct them to not wash or prep the exterior. I have always been a 2 bucket w/grit guard and micro towels kinda guy

Comment

Excellent SnakeSlayer! For sure. My Service Manager had long agreed that I along would wash my C7 Z06 when it arrived, (“work for my folks; sounds good”). It was a nasty 34 degree, windy day (day after Christmas). I went armed to the dealership with my full two bucket materials, brand new microfiber wash mitt, new MF’s, my washing soap and more. I got to the wash area, to see a 17 year old lot person with a bucket of very dirty water and the same worn out washing pole/mitt he had been using for months. finishing up a farm pick up. He offered to wash my Z. I was polite and said “no thank you, but if you would please, take my new bucket and put nothing into it but hot water.” As I was washing it, several times he moved toward his equipment wanting to help. Each time I politely but firmly told him NO. Finally to insure he did not do something when I was not looking, I handed him the hose and asked him to wash down the panels when I told him too. When we were done, he said, “I learned a lot this morning about how to properly wash a car.”

Having successfully finished the wash, I drove it in their detailing bay which the SM said was mine for the whole day if I wanted. It was inside and about 55 degrees, out of the wind, OH SO NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post
                    One thing that is of concern is the capability of the dealership to properly detail the car without causing harm to the paint surface.
                    Congratulations on your first Corvette!!
                    Ya, I bought a new car once that had swirl marks in the paint. They didn't have a person that washes cars, they took them through an automatic (NOT touchless) car wash!

Murray - Torch red / Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X