MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

Randy Pobst Drives C8 at VIR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice positive review, no glaring handling defects , just minor tuning. However my surprise, as well as Randy's (he uses the word "interesting"), was un-noteworthy low speed power oversteer, yet high speed power oversteer was (80-100mph power oversteer, yet very tractable 40-60 mph). That's very surprising/interesting to me as well since that's usually the opposite, and that characteristic didn't go away between street/track alignments. I drive on track with all nannies off too. Nannies will be ON while I learn the C8, until I get more comfortable with the car. This is going to be a lot of fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by TraxsterII View Post
      Nice positive review, no glaring handling defects , just minor tuning. However my surprise, as well as Randy's (he uses the word "interesting"), was un-noteworthy low speed power oversteer, yet high speed power oversteer was (80-100mph power oversteer, yet very tractable 40-60 mph). That's very surprising/interesting to me as well since that's usually the opposite, and that characteristic didn't go away between street/track alignments. I drive on track with all nannies off too. Nannies will be ON while I learn the C8, until I get more comfortable with the car. This is going to be a lot of fun!!
      I noticed that too. Could it be the aero. ?? I wonder if a better wing would make the car less prone to yaw at speed. In any case it didn't sound too hard to correct - just a bit more throttle in this thing tends to straighten it out....kinda like a 911.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I strongly suggest you go to the track if you want to turn them off.
        It's not like I race on the streets. lol. I just like to know how the car drives without the aids. I have disabled my traction control on the Camaro because it becomes an interference and happens unexpectedly when I am entering an intersection etc. I hate being stuck without any throttle when it's needed. I can modulate the throttle myself, thank you GM. Now, I also know that the 2000 Camaro traction control is archaic compared to current technology, but I just need to know how the car acts in its natural form.
        Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
        Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

It's not like I race on the streets. lol. I just like to know how the car drives without the aids. I have disabled my traction control on the Camaro because it becomes an interference and happens unexpectedly when I am entering an intersection etc. I hate being stuck without any throttle when it's needed. I can modulate the throttle myself, thank you GM. Now, I also know that the 2000 Camaro traction control is archaic compared to current technology, but I just need to know how the car acts in its natural form.
          Understood. At the same time, I've seen far too many videos of Corvettes, especially Z06s, spinning off into trees, telephone polls, parked cars, etc., because the driver thought he had better reflexes than the computer. The nannies on my C7 aren't noticeable 99% (internet statistic ) of the time, but when the road is unexpectedly slippery they've kept me pointed straight a few times. I've never had Stabilitrak cut throttle when there's adequate traction for the throttle I'm asking for.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Understood. At the same time, I've seen far too many videos of Corvettes, especially Z06s, spinning off into trees, telephone polls, parked cars, etc., because the driver thought he had better reflexes than the computer. The nannies on my C7 aren't noticeable 99% (internet statistic ) of the time, but when the road is unexpectedly slippery they've kept me pointed straight a few times. I've never had Stabilitrak cut throttle when there's adequate traction for the throttle I'm asking for.
            These modern supercars' natural form is nannies on. I'd sooner turn off ABS than Stabilitrak especially in slick/cool weather.

Comment

Craziest thing I ever saw was on I-55 headed to Chicago one afternoon headed to work. A C6 came off an ramp to merge onto I-55. He nailed it, car fish tailed, he went into the ditch at full speed, *** end trying to come around the front, bounced out of the ditch back into traffic on I-55 into the center lane and did not hit anyone, or cause any of us to hit anyone else. It was unbelievable. He did get off at the next exit.
              The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post

These modern supercars' natural form is nannies on. I'd sooner turn off ABS than Stabilitrak especially in slick/cool weather.
                Hmmm... I disagree. If it’s dry and warm outside, and the driver understands some basic performance driving principles, traction control is entirely unnecessary. ABS on the other hand, is almost always helpful. I literally never drive with traction control on when the weather is good.

Comment

In one of my cars, I can't launch properly with TC on, and in the truck I can't motocross at all with it on. I always leave it on for travels in inclement weather in all cars. It really helps with braking on uneven surfaces.
                  C8er

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post

I noticed that too. Could it be the aero. ?? I wonder if a better wing would make the car less prone to yaw at speed. In any case it didn't sound too hard to correct - just a bit more throttle in this thing tends to straighten it out....kinda like a 911.

Good question. IIRC C8Z51 aero creates net downforce, not just reduced lift. I'd imagine relative balance F/R would have to change to account for this inverse power oversteer. The proposition becomes IOW, the C8 gains more front downforce vs rear as speeds climb to +80mph. I'm puzzled at how that can be accomplished without canards or front wing, and merely a splitter. I'm guessing there is not much more than 2-300# total downforce 80-100mph, not enough to make a stark transition of the car's balance. IDK. This is very strange or "unusual" as RP put it. I'm thinkin it's the e-lsd.

RP writes, "I found a consistent gradual side-slip in third and fourth gears, exiting faster sweepers. The C8 has more power oversteer at 80 mph than it does at 40. Unusual."
                    Last edited by TraxsterII; 12-04-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The article focused exclusively on the narrow issue.

The article does not talk about the lap times. Must be saving that for later article and later release.

The track-setting car was 2 0r 3 seconds faster ? Than what ? is what?

The street-setting car was 2 seconds slower than the McLaren 600 and 3 seconds slower that the fastest car at Thunder Hill West, with the terrible oversteer. What does 2 or 3 seconds mean in comparison with other cars?

Tell us Randy.
                      Last edited by SheepDog; 12-04-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I think the increase in oversteer with speed is aero. The Z51 splitter provides more CL (force coefficient) than the Z51 mini-wing spoiler. As speed goes up the nose gets more loaded than the tail. I wonder if the high wing is the fix for this - I've wondered why it is offered at all. I'm starting to think its not just cosmetics, sports fans.

The C8.R also has a much bigger wing than the Z51, but the splitter looks similar (looks can be deceiving).

Comment

I believe the track setting alignment was 2 or 3 seconds than the street settings alignment.

how the c8 compares to other cars I believe was just the very quick c7 z51.
                          Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                            Does the camber swing out when you dial in track mode?
                            No, you have to hoist the car up and change the settings on each wheel individually. At least it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by TraxsterII View Post
                              Yes, the C8 on street settings has more power oversteer at 80 mph than it does at 40. To me it's not a good sign, as it makes the car less predictable, and will take experience getting used to.

In the video Pobst says track camber adjustments "...reduced understeer, and guess what, it reduced oversteer as well. Grip was up on both ends of the car, and the balance was better. The gorilla in the room is why do you need to decrease the camber to reduce this understeer. We drive a lot of cars that are well balanced and handle beautifully without radical amounts of camber."

Those settings seem preferable to me, but will not be viable on the street due to tire wear.
                              Last edited by Gadgety; 12-05-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                                The article focused exclusively on the narrow issue.

The article does not talk about the lap times. Must be saving that for later article and later release.

The track-setting car was 2 0r 3 seconds faster ? Than what ? is what?

The street-setting car was 2 seconds slower than the McLaren 600 and 3 seconds slower that the fastest car at Thunder Hill West, with the terrible oversteer. What does 2 or 3 seconds mean in comparison with other cars?

Tell us Randy.
                                There was a follow up article stating the time difference between the two settings was 1.77 seconds. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...nt-understeer/

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X