MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Interviews Harlan Charles Re The C8 & More: ON NOW

What a wonderful Corvette Today podcast!!! Steve Garrett sits down with Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...enea/a-a2qtt60. Harlan talks about his early years with Chevrolet and how he became Product Manager for Corvette. He also discusses the cohesive work done by the entire Corvette team-from C5 through C8.  You'll learn about the evolution of the new mid-engine C8 Corvette and the steps taken to bring it to market. Plus, Harlan delves into the launch of the C8, the development of the strategy behind the mid-engine car.
See more
See less

Randy Pobst Drives C8 at VIR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would highly recommend to all those that haven't done it, is to go to the track at least once. You will never understand your car more or faster. Most tracks have clubs or schools with instructors. As I've been told more than once. "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!" While you can also do autocross (racing in parking lots around cones) these cars do not perform as well in tight courses. I like to pick a track where there is no concrete barriers and lots of run-off space "Just In Case" but I've rarely seen anyone need it. Many clubs have lapping days also where cars are spaced out without passing. Some have controlled passing using turn signals. But all I've done are completely safe. Again, I highly recommend it.
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, 3300: July 15/20 3400: July 21 3800: July 30! Delivered?
    TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27.

Comment

Originally posted by ltomn View Post
      Take the incentive to explain to those that are not as savvy.
      ¿Que?

Just kidding. I know you meant "cue."

I'm very excited about Randy's opinion. As an autocrosser, I've been waiting to hear his perspective. In my eyes, he's more credible on the track than all the other journalists combined.
      Intended toy: C8 HTC with Z51, MRC
      Current toy: Saturn Sky Redline, lots of performance enhancements
      Former toy: Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
        I would highly recommend to all those that haven't done it, is to go to the track at least once. You will never understand your car more or faster. Most tracks have clubs or schools with instructors. As I've been told more than once. "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!" While you can also do autocross (racing in parking lots around cones) these cars do not perform as well in tight courses. I like to pick a track where there is no concrete barriers and lots of run-off space "Just In Case" but I've rarely seen anyone need it. Many clubs have lapping days also where cars are spaced out without passing. Some have controlled passing using turn signals. But all I've done are completely safe. Again, I highly recommend it.
        I agree....and there is not a better place to get the experience and knowledge of professionals specifically for a Corvette than Spring Mountain with the Corvette Owners School. Especially with the new generation mid engine C8 Corvette! You will leave...you will not want to though....being a better driver on and off the track.

Comment

At 2:08 in the MT video, Randy mentions that he encountered trailing throttle (lift off) over-steer. He didn't say it was an issue, but he noted it.

The video below describes over-steer in some detail, and lift off over-steer at 8:05...

And here's a fun video (featuring Randy) on over-steer...
          Last edited by Mobius; 12-02-2019, 12:54 PM. Reason: added 2nd video
          My C8:
          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

As much as I respect Pobst's skill on the track, this test has about as much to do with the typical driver's use of the car as the movie Ford vs. Ferrari (which I highly recommend) has to do with my driving. Even on the track, I've never turned off all the nannies, and I bet that's true of 99% of members here.

The complaints about severe understeer in the original test reports were "with the default settings" which means stabilitrak fully engaged. Setting track mode on the dial does not turn off stabilitrak. Randy's driving impression "in race mode" doesn't tell us one thing about how the car drives with all the nannies turned on.

Dialing in understeer with stabilitrak on is undoubtedly a good thing for 99% of us, but how much understeer there is isn't answered by the story.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I have no nannies in my 2k Camaro SS but I'd guess that turning them off gives one the idea of what the nannies are doing. In other words what the car is capable of by itself. I'd want to try it. I won't know until I try. Maybe I'm in the 1% but I'd like to know everything I can about the car.
              Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
              2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
              Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, 3300: July 15/20 3400: July 21 3800: July 30! Delivered?
              TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27.

Comment

Mid and Rear Engined cars are "supposed" to exhibit some level of throttle off oversteer. This is NORMAL + DESIRABLE and Its how you get a car with the engine someplace other than the front to rotate through a corner. Typical technique for a well set up Porsche 911 is as follows. Perform 90-95% of the pre corner braking in a straight line, Turn in and trail brake to bleed off the last 5-10% of max apex speed. Then apply enough pre apex power until the front starts to push ever so slightly, then lift off slightly to rotate the rear end. Once you assess track out is achievable, floor the throttle and allow the power to help you track out to corner exit.

Mid Engined cars are mostly the same...Although depending on the make model and set up, some mid engine cars prefer a-little more trail braking than a rear engined 911 to help with the pre apex and mid corner rotation.

Will any C8 ever do this on the street...almost certainly not unless the driver is crazy. Is trailing throttle oversteer fun to do at the track. Yep! and its the fastest way around if your engine is in the back (or middle)
                Last edited by brainf18; 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Here is another article that dives a little deeper into the street vs track alignment testing. I also took a screenshot from the motor trend video showing off the new PDR. It looks great.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...ent-understeer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-154029_Chrome.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	910.6 KB
ID:	93512
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ACMX92; 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM.
                  In Garage: 1985 Corvette Z51 Two-Tone Blue

On Order: 2020 Zeus Bronze (GUI), Natural Interior (HTN) 2LT Z51 Coupe

Additional Options: AH2, R8C, E60, 5DG, ZYC, FE4, VQK, TU7

Click here for a handy list of 2020 Corvette RPO Codes

Comment

Originally posted by brainf18 View Post
                    Randy’s positive comments are basically a repudiation of all the “so called” expert automotive journalists like Matt Farrah who spoke harshly about the C8 without any fundamental mid engine driving technique or skill.

Perhaps those guys should get some track days with expert instruction and earn a SCCA or NASA competition license before they voice there clearly uneducated opinions. At least then they’d have some credibility to write about 10/10ths handling characteristics

kudos to MT for actually following up and providing an actual expert (Randy P.) to give his thoughts and provide the facts.
                    Agree. When I saw all the early celebrity journalist reports about understeer, it did not phase me at all. I am not likely to be pushing the car hard, but Pobst is a much better authority than all those other yahoos.
                    2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Sounds like an extremely positive review.

btw it wasnt matt farrah it was that other young man jason camissa that gave us a good not great.

id suggest that given gm had some more time to firther develop the suspension setting as we all suspected the c8 s handling improved from good to almost great.

im happy with very close to great over good.

i knew corvette engineers would work their magic and improvements will be coming that we can add to the c8 we will own.

i still think when my tires wear out Ill look into a wider front rim and slightly wider front tires...

i need two sets of wheels anyway one for winter snow tires and one for summer tures...at that time Ill decide if I want to powdercoat the oem second set or if I just want an aftermarket set of slightly wider front rims and tires...

i still think wider front wheels and tires up front (just slightly) could be advantageous..GM was very intent on minimizing a complaint that much wider front tires did cause tram lining. tram lining is when the front end follows the ruts in the highways. Often times 245 tires are chosen to minimize that.

jim Mero probably will have a mrc or ptm computer update in the near future .or gm will offer an over the air update as an aftermarket track day update as well in my opinion.

not that any of this will be necessary for us...it might be a cool aftermarket consideration if it became available for $350...

@ll that said overall the motor trend article was a very positive review.

as a soon to be owner of a 2020 c8 like so many of you guys...how could we not enjoy a positive review like this.

JB

thank you for posting up.

Comment

Originally posted by ltomn View Post

I agree! I hope that more knowledgeable members will take the que and explain this to we mortals.
                        The B*TCH HANDLES ‼️

Comment

Randy Pobst is as good as they come in both driving and describing what he feels. I would call him the "Gold Standard". What he describes is EXACTLY the same phenomena that Ross Bentley (of Indycar and IMSA fame) described for R&T - ie. "power-on understeer exiting slow corners; fast corners can produce a bit of oversteer, REQUIRING THROTTLE TO BALANCE THE CAR". That gentlemen, is the definition of "trailing throttle oversteer."

Bottom line this car is a GREAT handler - better than the C7 and better than the McLaren 720S and you can steer it with the throttle !! In addition, for you track rats, it has enough adjustability (camber and caster) with the coil-over suspension to be setup for any track you want to run on. Given what Randy found with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, can you imagine how good this baby will be with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires ? As majic1980 so eloquently put it, "The B*TCH HANDLES" - INDEED !!

I can't wait to get one, and am looking forward to having the NCM and / or Spring Mountain guys teach me how to drive it "properly".

Comment

The article is good - the video is even better take a look here: https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...ent-understeer This is an awesome car - as Ross Bentley said in R&T, it handles like a race car. The adjustments Pobst and Reynolds are discussing on the video are highlighted in this table from from Reynold's article. Apparently a change of 2.5 degrees of camber makes a big difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8 Street and Track Alignments.png
Views:	258
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	93558

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
                              I have no nannies in my 2k Camaro SS but I'd guess that turning them off gives one the idea of what the nannies are doing. In other words what the car is capable of by itself. I'd want to try it. I won't know until I try. Maybe I'm in the 1% but I'd like to know everything I can about the car.
                              I strongly suggest you go to the track if you want to turn them off.
                              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Anybody feel the tire pressure is so low in track mode to compensate for the stiff sidewalls of the runflat tires.

seriously the c5, c6 and c7 was skittish out back often because of the stiff sidewalls of the standard runflat tires even the michelin cup 2 s.

dumping runflats dramatically minimized mid corner bump steer on real world surfaces IMO

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X