Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 12/2: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...ehicleID=21905
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

C8 Current & Upcoming Processes: What’s Happening This Coming Week and Afterwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Current & Upcoming Processes: What’s Happening This Coming Week and Afterwards

What is currently happening? The following is our best collective learning as to what is happening now, and what is coming next. As none of these are official GM released dates, lots of tea leaves have had to be sorted to get to these probable but not confirmed timeframes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	0124DA52-F415-4A5C-8796-D2C2A7C21804.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	93185

Week of December 2nd:

*Finishing up of BGA employee skill level four mastery training.

*Completion of physical changes within the Plant necessary for exclusive C8 production.

*Announcement of constraints for December consensus. There will be some very good news here, but do not expect “the floodgates to be totally locked open.”

Week of December 9th:

*Full scale assembly of 350+ captured test fleet vehicles commences.

* Dealers are advised as to the specific number of their December 19th allocations.

Week of December 16th: (New/rupdated info).

*1st December consensus is Thursday the 12th

Weeks of December 23rd & 30th:

*BGA closed for annual two week Christmas/New Year’s vacation.

Entire Month of January:

*Progressively faster ramp up assembly line speed. We do not know those exact rates. However, they will echo the ever-increasing rate that occurred during the first few months of the C7’s production. While we know that there was progressively faster assembly line speed that occurred during December, probably first at 1 C8 per hour, then 2 per hour, during January we are probably getting to a rate of at least four per hour — and perhaps faster??? As to when the line reaches its designed C8 final rate of 11.6/units per hour, that is currently unknown to us, and is probably also unknown to GM at this time.

Week of January 13th:

*First January coupe consensus.

Week of January 20th:

*First HTC consensus; it will be integrated with regular (2nd) coupe consensus (e.g., one combined allocation for both models).

Week of February 2nd:

*C8 coupe customer production starts. HOORAY!

*Could the assembly rate ramp up process still be ongoing or might the full production rate been achieved by then???

Looking Further Out, We Expect These Milestones:

*During February and maybe into early March, an up to four week quality control hold (QCH) of the first batch of C8 customer cars.

*During late March, again an estimated time period, the start of customer HTC assembly.

* First customer HTC’s ship probably in April (for they too will have a QCH).

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Hoping there are lots of customer C8s parked at the museum during the Bash at the end of April.
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

*1st December consensus is Thursday the 12th

*During February and maybe into early March, an up to four week quality control hold (QCH) of the first batch of C8 customer cars.
      I'm curious. Why the 12th? Just curious why you think it's that and not the 1st and 3rd Thursdays which seem to make more sense to me.
      Also, what is a QCH? Does it just mean they don't ship them until they are inspected?
      Murray - Torch red / Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Because of two things. First it was the second and third weeks of September when there a consensus, and secondly that is what little birdies are whispering. However, whether the consensus in December is the first, second or third Thursday would not result in a C8 being made one day earlier, so while emotionally all who are waiting are wanting December 5th to be the next consensus, again that would mean nothing in terms of production schedules.

QCH stands for quality control hold. Every single new model year of a Corvette, they keep them within BGA grounds; the first of the new model year, it is typically around two weeks; however for a generation change, they keep them there an average of four weeks.

Why they do this, and it was critical BTW during the earliest C7 production, is that when/if they find and issue, they have the best trained personnel, with the best tools, with the greatest likelihood of repair parts (if parts are needed), to perform that change while all of them are readily accessible. They might not find anything during each night’s sporadic inspections, they might not find an issue in every morning’s 7:00 AM quality review meetings — but they might during the QCH, and if so, they fix them before shipping them.

The alternative to a QCH (which BTW is done by all brands with new vehicles for some length of time), would be to ship them the assembled, getting them to the dealerships ADAP. But if the latter, and if an issue is found, the dealership Tech might not have ever seen a C8 before (or only been trained on some of its systems), the service department definitively des not have parts to enact the fixed, nor the specialized assembly (and/or disassembly) equipment.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Does that schedule indicate all or virtually all retooling at BGA is completed by next week?

Comment

That was the original schedule. It is possible that all such changes necessary to facilitate C8 full production have already been accomplished. We know that part of the three week process was to remove the specialized C7 chassis-assembly initial robot processes. That could be done by now, or conversely, it might not be done by the end of this next week, but as C7 robot chassis assembly was done in a separate area from C8 robot chassis assembly production, even if it were to take a touch longer, it would not interfere with C8 production.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Entire Month of January:

*Progressively faster ramp up assembly line speed. We do not know those exact rates. However, they will echo the ever-increasing rate that occurred during the first few months of the C7’s production. While we know that there was progressively faster assembly line speed that occurred during December, probably first at 1 C8 per hour, then 2 per hour, during January we are probably getting to a rate of at least four per hour — and perhaps faster??? As to when the line reaches its designed C8 final rate of 11.6/units per hour, that is currently unknown to us, and is probably also unknown to GM at this time.
              What happens to THESE cars? Assuming they are making them at this time.
              Murray - Torch red / Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Great post, but it reminded me my car was originally supposed to go into production this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

What happens to THESE cars? Assuming they are making them at this time.
                  These are the captured test fleet cars. They are going to such places as Spring Mountain, NCM Motorsports park, and to GM testing staff (Milford, Yuma and other places). Some will become modified to become initial test beds for 2021+ C8 options. Many will be later sold at auctions.

Comment

John, wondering how the required purchase of C8 specific tools, attending (I would think) a mandatory tech training session, and a participation in a Spring Mountain driver orientation might affect a dealer"s ability to receive C8's?

Bill
                    GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

Yes; all are specific requirements prior to a dealership selling a C8 (including courtesy deliveries). BTW, the complete tools set costs the dealership $1,484/dealership. The so most expensive one are specialized cradles to hold up the motor and the DCT if/as necessary. If I remember correctly those two cost about 50% of the total set.

Comment

I thought I was correct in assuming such. I brought it up for those forum members who might be purchasing their C8 through a local small Corvette dealer who might not see those three items as pressing and not have them completed or even worse, scheduled. Besides smaller allocations, constraints, and consensus, if a dealer is not compliant with these three items, his C8’s my sit in a “Bayed” status (or worse) for much longer than necessary delaying delivery to their customers!
                        GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

My super Tech, when I asked him if he had taken off any C7 rear fascia’s to do work underneath (vis a vis his putting on my C8’s medium wing), he said, “oh yes; got you covered.” Having watched him worked for over a decade on my and my friend’s Corvettes, with never a mistep, I know he will. Nicely, he is scheduled to head to Spring Mountain next month and will also be getting regional Tech training too.

Comment

Thanks John for a very informative thread. This is the first time I bought a first year corvette. I never knew it was so detailed a launch process.

very specific ...btw the wait is killing many of us who reserved in may much less after the launch..

i would like to imagine Ill have a 2020 c8 if possible.

Everybody who knows me keeps asking me when the car is coming in.

i jist keep saying I expect it by next summer sometime and mention tje gm strike as the factor delaying the car.

before i expected the c8 around april may...now im just pushing it back a couple of months as a guess...

should be fun once it comes..

they say that absense makes the heart grow fonder.
                            Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Will every Thursday in January involve allocations being assigned to dealers?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X