MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

Losing money on sub 80k builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

As posted earlier in this thread, the C7 was one of GM's most profitable vehicles. The C8 will be, too. Cars like the Cruz are the real loss leaders. GM (and the rest of the industry) barely makes any money on compacts, and sell them only to meet CAFE standards. SUVs and pickups are where the real profits are, but the Corvette isn't far behind.
    I disagree. :P
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

No, the casing is completely different. I would post up the leaked photo again but John had to take down that photo before. We don't want to get in trouble again. And the C8 is a transaxle and not just a DCT. The transmission and separate differential were far simpler configurations. Both are Tremecs.
      Last edited by Skank; 11-30-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

I disagree. :P
        Fine. Do some research and look at industry numbers. The data is out there. Compact cars are a drag on every manufacturers profits, often requiring large incentives to move off dealer lots. There's a reason Ford is stopping production on every passenger car except the Mustang.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Marketing 101 Volume makes a profit and can lower product price. Just saying. Anyway, I can't argue with your numbers. I only know what I learned in marketing class (45 years ago, so don't quote me LOL).
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

Unfortunate comment about the Associated Press, inappropriate and incorrect.
            I add another yes, and thank you.
            Recently sold:
            Shark Grey '15 Z51 Coupe : White / Blue Diamond '13 427 60th roadster ( really miss the 'stripe delete' 427 )

Status 1100 - 7th Corvette... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

As posted earlier in this thread, the C7 was one of GM's most profitable vehicles. The C8 will be, too. Cars like the Cruz are the real loss leaders. GM (and the rest of the industry) barely makes any money on compacts, and sell them only to meet CAFE standards. SUVs and pickups are where the real profits are, but the Corvette isn't far behind.
              You are right. My Dad worked for GM for 42 years, much of it in front line management in a plant that built cars on one side, and full size pickups on the other. The plant later transitioned to building full size SUV’s. It was a general rule of thumb that GM was making at a minimum $10,000 on every truck/SUV they sold. There is a reason they stopped building the Cruze, and continue to build every SUV and pickup they can.
              The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Thanks TAdams65. Even since Mary Barra took over, they cut their ties with several major and perennial financial losers. She would never have allowed the C8 program to proceed unless it was a significant financial winner.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I have been told by several reliable sources that the Corvette is the highest margin car GM makes, period. There may be some trucks (GMC, Cadillac Escalade, etc.) that do better but for cars, the Corvette is tops. WRT profit or loss on the Corvette C8 MY2020 version - that is almost impossible to determine from our vantage point. The break even is likely a year or two down the road, IF you count all the R&D and new plant, tooling and equipment, but GM does not use program accounting like the aerospace business does. I am certain John E. is right that if you just count the PBOM and Labor to assemble the car at BGA, (i.e. Cost of Goods Sold), GM is making money on every unit shipped. The overhead costs are another matter, but GM has been pretty profitable since the bankruptcy, so they must be doing something right.

WRT small car profitability - NOBODY is making money on them right now. They have become a commodity, which why GM is offshoring the manufacture of the Cruze to Mexico, and Ford is getting out of car manufacturing altogether. Bob Lutz's discussion on Autoline about a month ago was pretty interesting WRT industry profitability and who is headed where. Lutz is not at all sure that Ford's "trucks + Mustang" approach is going to work in the long run. He also said (and GM confirmed) that GM has TWENTY EV's in the pipeline for introduction to the market over the next five years. EV's, with the exception of the battery, are much simpler and cheaper to manufacture than IC-engine cars. They will also be much cheaper to operate and maintain. GM has some battery technologies they will introduce which could make life difficult for Tesla.

In another change for the marketplace, EV's don't really wear out. Electric motors last 20 years in your furnace, other appliances, and cars, and early auto Li-Ion battery life is exceeding all expectations. You could drive your EV for 20 years or 500,000 miles and not have to do much, if any, maintenance. The impact of that change has yet to be felt, but it could be huge.

Comment

Both free cash flow and EBITDA should improve substantially when C8 sales begin. Especially important since free cash flow and EBITDA are important to the fiscal health of a business.

Comment

Originally posted by TAdams65 View Post

You are right. My Dad worked for GM for 42 years, much of it in front line management in a plant that built cars on one side, and full size pickups on the other. The plant later transitioned to building full size SUV’s. It was a general rule of thumb that GM was making at a minimum $10,000 on every truck/SUV they sold. There is a reason they stopped building the Cruze, and continue to build every SUV and pickup they can.
                      Wasn't the Silverado truck plant the last to shut down during the strike and one of the first to start back up... ?

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                        In another change for the marketplace, EV's don't really wear out. Electric motors last 20 years in your furnace, other appliances, and cars, and early auto Li-Ion battery life is exceeding all expectations. You could drive your EV for 20 years or 500,000 miles and not have to do much, if any, maintenance. The impact of that change has yet to be felt, but it could be huge.
                        And this is part of the reason BEVs won't be cheaper to buy, even if they're cheaper to make. The manufacturers know they need to compensate for the longer life. (Sort of like cell phones - as people started keeping their phones longer, the prices went up, even though the cost of electronics typically drops over time. The cost per year of ownership remains relatively constant, though.)
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Speaking of EVs Tesla sells used ones with four year 50K mile warranties. There was a Model S with under 26K miles, listed as 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds, top speed of 155 mph, and range of 294 miles, for $50K, Got my attention.

Comment

A Tesla Model S with 26,000 miles at $50K is a bargain if it is not dinged up. Those are pretty nice luxury cars. Lutz on Autoline said that the Tesla S outsold the Mercedes S-Class, the BMW 7-Series and the Audi 8-Series COMBINED in Europe this year. It is having a big impact over there because of high gas taxes and the relatively shorter distances.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkk View Post

Wasn't the Silverado truck plant the last to shut down during the strike and one of the first to start back up... ?
                              He worked at the Janesville, WI plant. It closed in 2008 and was destroyed last year. Over 4 million square feet, it is now slabs of concrete and piles of metal to be hauled away.
                              The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                                EV's, with the exception of the battery, are much simpler and cheaper to manufacture than IC-engine cars. They will also be much cheaper to operate and maintain. GM has some battery technologies they will introduce which could make life difficult for Tesla.

You must of missed the Autoline where it was stated that EVs are not cheaper or simpler to manufacture. Just different. We can't discount the complexity of the battery, or it is not a fair comparison. No EV will run without a battery, just like no ICE car will run without an engine and transmission.

We don't have any statistically significant Lithium Ion EV data showing the battery will not degrade significantly over 20 years. We do have data showing significant degradation on some vehicles after only a few years.

Unfortunately, there is a contingent hyping EVs, so it gets difficult to get the real pictures.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X