Speaking of wheels and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of wheels and tires

So, not being up on Corvettes I must ask. When you buy aftermarket wheels do you have to get a tool to program the new tire pressure sensors? I had to with our 2014 Malibu, but I've heard some cars can be done through the console.
    Murray - Torch red / Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

I switched back and forth between summer and winter wheels and just had the dealer reprogram the sensors each time.

I think for 80 dollars the tire pressure sensor resetting device is quite reasonable to purchase as well and you basically just start at the front passenger tire to the rear passenger tire then the drivers side rear tire, then the front drivers side...
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      I switched back and forth between summer and winter wheels and just had the dealer reprogram the sensors each time.
      I bought the tool for my Malibu from Amazon for C$20. So, do the corvettes still need the tool then?

Comment

We have not yet heard whether the C8 will require any special tools nor any dealership visits. Might it be simple owner changing a small part of the IP settings? Might it be an OTA update? Might is be literally noting more than driving ten miles down the road (as it was in my C7 Z06), with the system re-setting itself that way all by itself?
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

The C7 would, 99% of the time, automatically recognize and program itself for new sensors within the first few hundred yards. On the very rare instances is didn't, there is a procedure you can do from the driver's seat, with no tools or gadget necessary. I swap between winter and summer tire/wheel setup twice a year and have never once had to manually reprogram anything.

I would be surprised if the C8 goes backwards in that regard.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
            I swap between winter and summer tire/wheel setup twice a year .....
            Different tire question. What tires are louder, All Season or Summer only?

Comment

Depends on the tread pattern. I've had both styles noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

I would think all season are more noisy due to more tread blocks compared to a summer or performance tire that have less tread blocks and more continuous strips of rubber. Just my theory.

Comment

The AS are louder and slightly bumpy. i have had both on my Mercedes and the 4S are magnificent.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

So....

I put Michelin run-flat A/S tires on. They are quieter, especially on concrete highways, than the summer tires. It's not something I notice so much on asphalt, but on concrete it's pretty significant. I still wouldn't call them quiet. I've read online from people who put non-runflat A/S tires on that they're quite a bit quieter.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

So....

I put Michelin run-flat A/S tires on. They are quieter, especially on concrete highways, than the summer tires. It's not something I notice so much on asphalt, but on concrete it's pretty significant. I still wouldn't call them quiet. I've read online from people who put non-runflat A/S tires on that they're quite a bit quieter.
                      Excellent report. Getting the AS on my C8. Do you think the noise difference will be similar with the C8?
                      Last edited by Boomer; 11-29-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Excellent report. Getting the AS on my C8. Do you think the noise difference will be similar with the C8?
                        Given that both the A/S and summer tires on the C8 are brand new, and none of us have any experience with them yet, who knows? But the magazines have all commented on how quiet the interior is with the summer tires, so I really don't imagine it's going to be an issue with either tire.

Tire noise on the C7 seems to come mostly from the rear tires directly into the cargo area right behind the driver. In the C8, the tires are separated from you by a solid bulkhead and thick glass. GM claims it's the quietest Corvette ever made.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >35,000+ miles

Comment

Hopefully the exhaust will eliminate any tire noise. If not the 14 speaker system will be able to.
                          Rocket City Florida

Comment

My pressure sensors on my second set of wheels is quirky. This September, when I put them on, I could not get the car to talk to the sensors at all. None of them. Then, suddenly, after two weeks, the warning light went out and all four wheels were reading pressure perfectly.

Comment

In the C8, the tires are separated from you by a solid bulkhead and thick glass.
                              Plus that LT2 humming!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X