Z51 with mag ride or go HTC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z51 with mag ride or go HTC?

Hey everybody, maybe ordering C8 soon, never owned a corvette before. Can anyone help me with this decision.... Is the standard suspension harsh riding? I’m thinking if the mag ride w/Z51 ($7k) option, I will never track the car OR go with HTC option for roughly same cost. I’m liking the 2LT pkg for base starting point and trying to keep options and cost reasonable. Any advice appreciated.
    2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Zeus Bronze riding on aftermarket wheels 😎

Great first post MidLife. Like your forum name; welcome to MECF!

Darn good question, IMO, but more importantly from the reviewers, one calling it “having a Rolls Royce ride,” you do not need anything other than an entry car without a single option to have one terrific around town and/or cross-country spirited but highly comfortable cruiser — however transforming in a neck snapping, cornering-capable exotic sports car with right foot “exercising.”

Save your money, and buy the color in a 2LT with the minimal options you are wanting. As you can see from my signature box, I am going the Z51, mag ride and much more path, but I see no need for anyone to do so, instead you will tremendously enjoy your entry C8 without all the other options.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks! I wish the mag ride option didn’t require Z51. But my wife and I really like the HTC option with the front lift and GT2 seats. She currently has a 18 2SS Conv Camaro that we really love! Going tomorrow to talk details on a C8 preorder.
      2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Zeus Bronze riding on aftermarket wheels 😎

Comment

We haven't seen any write-ups about the C8 with standard suspension. On the C7, the standard suspension is not harsh at all, to me.

For me, for my use cases (street driving, and maybe an occasional track day), the answer is convertible. I know I'll never exceed the limits of the base car. I've had my base C7 on the track a few times, not racing, but driving fast and hard. (I used to race motorcycles, so I do know something about going fast on a track.) Even on those laps I didn't fade the brakes or overheat the coolant or oil. These cars have higher limits than most of us will ever tap.

I expect the base C8 will be even better than the C7. The only weakness, if you really want to spend time on the track, will probably be the all season tires. But since you say you'll never track the car, even that won't be a concern.

The mag ride is great technology, but for me not worth the entry price of Z51 + FE4. MHO, YMMV.

And regarding the front lift? The base car without front lift has more generous clearance in front than the Z51 with the lift, so that may not be something you really need, either.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...pproach-angles
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Good comprehensive post meyerweb. As Tadge noted during the 7.18.19 reveal, on the C8 “we were able due to soften up some suspension components compared to the C7” (slight paraphrase). The A/S 4’s on the entry C8 are also softer riding than the C7’s entry PSS tires.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If your digging convertible open air motoring...go for the HTC instead of the z51 fe4

Comment

Thanks for the posts so far!!! This has been racking my brain the last few days, and since these cars don’t really exist yet, it’s hard to get those reviews. Was going over all the options last night prepping for tomorrow.... your posts have helped put my mind at ease a little bit!!! Thanks!

Comment

My same dilemma! When I knew that I would not track the car, went vert.

Comment

Originally posted by Busstuf View Post
                  My same dilemma! When I knew that I would not track the car, went vert.
                  Yeah, the HTC is such a beautiful car with top down!! The Z51 w/mag ride would be nice, but the HTC is priority and more useable than track pkg. all it needs is some bad *** wheels to complete it!!

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post

Yeah, the HTC is such a beautiful car with top down!! The Z51 w/mag ride would be nice, but the HTC is priority and more useable than track pkg. all it needs is some bad *** wheels to complete it!!
                    I was debating going htc or z51 + mag ride... I said forget it and got both and gave up the GT2 seats with 2 tone and just got the plain jane black interior with blue seatbelts to limit my over budgetness

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

I was debating going htc or z51 + mag ride... I said forget it and got both and gave up the GT2 seats with 2 tone and just got the plain jane black interior with blue seatbelts to limit my over budgetness
                      Lucky.... sounds nice! Tryin to keep it under $80k

Comment

I was in the same dilemma ... I couldnt do everything so I decided on HTC and no Z51 ... I won't track it ... And I cant get passed the beauty of that drop top ... And just the ease of use with the touch of a button.

Comment

No brainier in my opinion, 2LT convertible if you aren't going to track it.

Sometimes it's best to think about what are you going to use the most. It's basically impossible to use any of the z51 features off the track (brakes, e lsd, spoiler, gearing). Even the stock suspension for the base will be set great for street driving.

Now imagine how often you will use that power top

I would hands down be getting the vert (even in Seattle). Unfortunately it doesn't have stock rollover protection for the track.
                          '03 4Runner V8 4x4
                          '16 Subaru WRX STI
                          Corvette coming soon

Comment

The non-Z51 ride on relatively good roads should be similar to the Z51 with MSRC in Tour. Don't get a Z51 without MSRC if a compliant ride is important to you.
                            Where the Z51 with MSRC shines in a non-track environment is during spirited driving on twisty roads, especially if the road is less than perfect.
                            If you want the HTC and it is an either/or situation I'd pass on the Z51 with MSRC.
                            On Deposit: 2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post

Lucky.... sounds nice! Tryin to keep it under $80k
                              I was shooting for under $75.... I ended up at $85,030. I may still change my mind and delete the Z51 and MRC to save the $7k when I get the final confirmation call before they place the order.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X