MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Interviews Harlan Charles Re The C8 & More: ON NOW

What a wonderful Corvette Today podcast!!! Steve Garrett sits down with Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...enea/a-a2qtt60. Harlan talks about his early years with Chevrolet and how he became Product Manager for Corvette. He also discusses the cohesive work done by the entire Corvette team-from C5 through C8.  You'll learn about the evolution of the new mid-engine C8 Corvette and the steps taken to bring it to market. Plus, Harlan delves into the launch of the C8, the development of the strategy behind the mid-engine car.
See more
See less

Which has the greater WOW factor: visible engine bay or HTC roof operation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which has the greater WOW factor: visible engine bay or HTC roof operation?

The coupe and convertible have an awesome visual characteristic unique to each model. In your opinion, which has the greater WOW factor?

For me it’s the HTC operation. Please vote!
    Visible engine bay
    55.81%
    Hard top roof operation
    44.19%

This may be a way back behavior but standing and staring at an engine with “hood” open contemplating life’s mysteries is ingrained into some of my fondest early gear head memory and that very fact that the engine is NOT visible with the HTC made my choice simple. This is a mid-engine Corvette and that engine (imo ymmv) demands to be on view and stared at.......😎
    2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
    4150: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
    2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C

Comment

In my humble Opinion it’s a mid engine sports car, not the Louvre. I guess that’s why my 2015 Stingray convertible has 42,000 miles on it. I think it’s made to be seen going away, fast.

Comment

I much prefer the coupe, for many reasons. However, I voted for the HTC's WOW factor with all that is involved with the engineering. Fun to watch the operation.
        Recently sold:
        Shark Grey '15 Z51 Coupe : White / Blue Diamond '13 427 60th roadster ( really miss the 'stripe delete' 427 )

Status 3000 - 7th Corvette... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

After watching the Jay Leno Video, I Love the Convertible. But, even though my order hasn't been moved up to a build date on the Coupe, I am sticking with it because I want that view of the Engine compartment that it gives. I voted Coupe
          Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Both are impressive BUT after seeing Jay Leno driving around in the HTC , I messaged my dealer and switched to the conv, it just looked like tooo much fun . Yes , you give up the visible engine ( and a few more bucks ) but I thought I would regret it later if I didn't do it . By the way - I remember someone mentioning they were going on a road trip when picking up their car, I'm flying to Ohio sometime next spring ( summer ) to get mine , plan to drive it back to AZ by way of Maine- got to get some fresh Lobster. Anyone interested in meeting up touring together. Have done this in past - was fun for all. Trip / route / destination all to be determined.

Comment

I like both. When I am out and lower the top anyone around always stops and watches the top going down. It is fun to watch--if not hard to believe by non Corvette folks. I am biased and will stick with the option to buy a convertible. However I like the coupe. Wish I could buy both. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

The C8 will be my first Corvette Coupe!

Of course, both Coupe and HTC are beautiful, and I had always thought I'd get the HTC but after reviewing both in detail I like the Coupe more.

My decision factors:
                • I really like the exposed engine. This lends a more masculine appearance to the Coupe, IMHO.
                • You still have a removable roof on the coupe.
                • The HTC looks a bit "pregnant" over the engine bay (to make room for the hard top), and I was a bit surprised by how high the tonneau reaches during hard top retraction.
                My C8:
                '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

The HTC just isn't open enough to get me to switch. I'm throwing that upgrade money into Z51/FE4.

Comment

For me it is the roof operation, and seeing the engine makes no difference to me. Further more, if you are trying to WOW people looking at your car seeing the engine they could not care less. The average Joe on the street would be WOWd by the top going up or down.

Comment

For me it has to be the visible engine. That is on display all the time while the HTC would only get a WOW factor when in operation. They are both very nice features and both have a WOW factor over the C7's, but it will be the individual preference since you can't have both.

Comment

I have always liked seeing the engine in an exotic car. I think that is one of the visual cues that a car is something special. I am staying with my coupe order...but I am keeping my current Corvette convertible also so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Have to see the engine, that is one of the biggest reasons I am buying it. Ceramic matrix gray ,red and black 2 tone interior , red engine cover . it is going to look awesome .

Comment

Definitely the Vert. Being the first Vette made with a Hard Top Convertible. I own a couple HT Mercedes Vert's and people freak out when you put the top down because they never for a second thought it was a convertible. And likewise when you put the top up most never realize it's also a hardtop. If you have not had the pleasure of owning a Hard Top Convertible before, Go For It. You only live once.
                            Last edited by Frenzy36; 11-21-2019, 01:08 PM.
                            Rocket City Florida

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 SLK1.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	91268Click image for larger version

Name:	2012SLK12.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	91269
                              Rocket City Florida