Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Manual? Will there be backlash?

I am curious about the following:

If a manual is offered, would you choose the manual option or DCT?
    Assuming DCT is, in fact, the only option, do you think there will be significant backlash among corvette enthusiasts?

When the 991.1 GT3 was introduced, no manual was offered. The response from Porsche enthusiasts was strong. In response, Porsche introduced the uber low production 911R, which offered the GT3RS motor with a manual (however, you had to be Jesus to get your hands on one for $400k+). So, that was not good enough for the Porsche community and the backlash continued until Porsche decided to bring back the manual which is now being offered on the 991.2 GT3.

I am a die-hard manual guy. To me, a DCT can never mimic that kind of driving engagement. Years ago, my buddy and I swopped cars for a weekend. He took my C6 ZO6/ZO7 and I took his Nissan GTR. When I first got behind the wheel of the GTR, the DCT experience was a novelty. It was new, exciting and a different experience for me. I enjoyed it...initially. By day 2, I was bored and wanted my manual back.

Do you think the backlash from Corvette enthusiasts will be similar to what Porsche corporate experienced (assuming no manual is offered)? Unfortunately, I really don’t think the corvette community will complain if no manual is offered. At least not in great enough number to force Chevy to reverse course.

Are we really looking at the death of the manual? ? Will you be protesting with me?
    Last edited by PaulChristian; 09-12-2018, 07:28 PM.

The last numbers I saw said that the take up rate for autos was approximately 80% of total sales. I would prefer the manual but wouldn’t be surprised at a DCT only configuration. I bet there will be some backlash similar to what Ferrari and Lamborghini saw but probably not enough for them to redesign. Porsche had the advantage of basically not having to change much on the design other than making sure it could handle the torque.
    Current Car - 550 HP 370Z Twin Turbo
    Current Motorcycle - 2018 Tuono 1100 Factory
    Future Car - ME Corvette!

Comment

Interesting question. I think that this new design is directly aimed at attracting new blood, a newer, younger generation of enthusiast. In my opinion, I think GM will lose many of the older, die-hard loyalists, but will also gain (unknown) new people who do not even know how to drive manuals. Im with you, Paul, theres nothing like spinning tires going sideways while holding the gear until redline, listening to that engine scream -and then slamming it into second.

I'd rather lose a second 0-60 instead of have an automatic… but if a manual is not offered, im still getting the auto...… That alone will not deter me from this new machine.

Comment

I'm a manual lover also...but times, they are a changing. If I love the car in every other way, I'd probably go ahead with it. It would be my 7th Corvette, and the first auto. Just need to move forward and enjoy...if it's a great machine?
        '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
        '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
        '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
        '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
        '14 Black Z51 Coupe
        '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Good points VH1 and USVTRN! I think one of your conclusions echoes what is happening nationwide, for only 2% of all vehicle sold in America last year were stick shifts. As for Corvette, 22% who bought a manual in 2018, when they replace it are either going to try and find something else that would meet that need, for, as we are going to do, make a massive change and try the DCT (after 53 manuals in a row).

I sure understand the 22% are either outright really angry, others resigned to their making that change, yet some are happily going to embrace the change to a DCT in their future.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I Prefer DCT due to the performance benefits as well as the daily driver ease of just hitting the auto button and forgetting about it when in traffic. If a manual was offered, I certainly wouldn't buy it.
            Sigmon - Hamilton, Ohio, USA
            2021 Elkhart Lake Blue Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 3LT Z51, D30, BV4, E60, EYK, FA5, FE4, Q8T, ZZ3, J6N
            Deposit: March 20/20, 1100: Nov 17/20, 2000: Feb 12/21, 3000: Feb 17/21, 3300: April 15/21, 3400: April 23/21 TPW 5/3/21, 3800: 5/4/21, 4200: 5/10/21, 5000: 5/10/21, 6000: 5/10/21

Comment

The only reason I bought the Z06 and had extensive modifications to the engine done was because it was an automatic. The day of the stick are dead and buried. Technology changes and I for one am glad the new ME will not be offered in a stick. GM will not have to recover the NRE that the manual qualification in this car would entail. Means a car that cost less money for me and will not require any compromises in design to accommodate the manual form factor.

Comment

Camaro, mustang, challenger, mazda mx5, fiat 124, lotus, bmw m3,m4, porsche 718 cayman and boxster as well as porsches 911 offer both a manual and automatic sometimes including dct as the automatic and those lower volume and often times lower priced vehicles offer both autoamtic and manual transmissions.

i fully expect the manual transmission to be offered as the standard c8 transmission and the dct will continue to be the optional transmission.

ease of prodiction may preclude at launch the availability of a manual transmission but as prodiction ramps up we will surely see a manual transmission.

suppliers are ready willing and able to meet gm s requirements for a manual transmission corvette.

rumors to make corvette enthusiasts upset are just that. Rumors.

wait for the official release in January and or april pricing guide before continueing the often spoken of no manual transmission corvette..

i just dont see any level headed gm corvette engineer or marketing man telling executives lets pass on offering a manual transmission corvette.

just my two cents..l

maybe not at release to increase speed of prodiction.but once caught up..the manual will be added into the production mix.

Comment

I would definitely prefer a manual. Manuals are more involving, and the whole point of driving a high performance sports car is to DRIVE. As in actively be involved in driving, not just going places. But that's just me and an admittedly small number of others.

If the ME ticks all my buttons otherwise, I won't refuse to buy it because of the DCT. I would refuse to buy it if the only transmission offered was a slushbox auto.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by JBsC6 View Post
                    Camaro, mustang, challenger, mazda mx5, fiat 124, lotus, bmw m3,m4, porsche 718 cayman and boxster as well as porsches 911 offer both a manual and automatic sometimes including dct as the automatic and those lower volume and often times lower priced vehicles offer both autoamtic and manual transmissions.

i fully expect the manual transmission to be offered as the standard c8 transmission and the dct will continue to be the optional transmission.

ease of prodiction may preclude at launch the availability of a manual transmission but as prodiction ramps up we will surely see a manual transmission.

suppliers are ready willing and able to meet gm s requirements for a manual transmission corvette.

rumors to make corvette enthusiasts upset are just that. Rumors.

wait for the official release in January and or april pricing guide before continueing the often spoken of no manual transmission corvette..

i just dont see any level headed gm corvette engineer or marketing man telling executives lets pass on offering a manual transmission corvette.

just my two cents..l

maybe not at release to increase speed of prodiction.but once caught up..the manual will be added into the production mix.
                    I am saving this one for the future. It makes no sense. Time will tell that is for certain as it waits for no man ….

Comment

Manual transmission is honestly starting to become old and out dated technology as automatic transmissions become faster and smoother. Most high end manufacturers are starting to phase out manuals and some such as Ferrari and Jaguar already completely stopped offering it. Sure you won't get the "feel of the car" experience that you do when driving stick, but automatics are becoming better and better. In a few years time, it will be impossible or next to it to find a new vehicle that's a manual. It's just evolution of technology =) same reason people no longer use flobby disks, CRT tv's (the ones with the big box on the back), or any other old technology that is no longer used.
                      Last edited by Bluevette; 09-12-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post

I am saving this one for the future. It makes no sense. Time will tell that is for certain as it waits for no man ….
                        I have no imside information as none of us do...logic should prevail and if not ill buy the first round...

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post
                          The only reason I bought the Z06 and had extensive modifications to the engine done was because it was an automatic. The day of the stick are dead and buried. Technology changes and I for one am glad the new ME will not be offered in a stick. GM will not have to recover the NRE that the manual qualification in this car would entail. Means a car that cost less money for me and will not require any compromises in design to accommodate the manual form factor.
                          Dead? Based on what? The fact that it is the inferior performance option? To that I say it is not just about performance. We are all different. Some prefer the additional driver engagement the manual offers. Simple as that. I couldn’t care less about modifying 500+hp cars as I can’t even drive a car with 300hp at its limit. Additionally, I am not thrilled about the prospects of keeping a DCT equipped car out of warranty. I don’t trade my cars in every 3 years and tend to keep my cars longer term.

I do agree with you on one point, however. I do think it makes good business sense for Chevy to offer just one trans option....and I only say this because too few in the corvette community are opting for the manual. There are just not enough people out there like me. It seems Every corvette I see is an auto. I’ve been taking a mental note....and it’s almost always an auto. An auto simply ruins the experience for me.

Sadly, I think most will reason like you within the corvette community...but not truly for the added performance gains (as most will claim) but rather because they just prefer the ease of use. Not saying this is you, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevette View Post
                            Manual transmission is honestly starting to become old and out dated technology as automatic transmissions become faster and smoother. Most high end manufacturers are starting to phase out manuals and some such as Ferrari and Jaguar already completely stopped offering it. Sure you won't get the "feel of the car" experience that you do when driving stick, but automatics are becoming better and better. In a few years time, it will be impossible or next to it to find a new vehicle that's a manual. It's just evolution of technology =) same reason people no longer use flobby disks, CRT tv's (the ones with the big box on the back), or any other old technology that is no longer used.
                            Well apparently Porsche doesn’t think it is dead yet.

Comment

Auto DCT for ME , Manufacturers can tune the ECM for the proper engine RPM and less wear and tear on both engine and transmission. I'm sure it makes more sense from a cost point of view over people tearing things up by missing shifts and grinding gears and chewing up syncro rings , bearings , seals etc. Not to mention the added stress on the now advanced engines and expense of repair while under warranty.
                              Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X