Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Brand Manager, Harlan Charles Talks Everything E-Ray

Corvette Marketing & Brand Manager, Harlan Charles returns to CORVETTE TODAY with your host, Steve Garrett, to talk about the new 2024 Corvette E-Ray. https://youtu.be/3u0WMcgtnWI ; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...GToHlBAjuBPZxz. Harlan gives us an extensive overview is this revolutionary new Corvette and give us insight never heard before about the upcoming E-Ray. www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Corvette Today News & Headlines: Late January, 2023

With the announcement of the 2024 Corvette E-Ray, your CORVETTE TODAY host Steve Garrett, and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger have a lot to tell you about !!! https://youtu.be/734VgDupTBI; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...UAAEX2obMOXMml
Plus, we get a possible glimpse into the Corvette future with Manny Katakis from Muscle Cars & Truck with what the C9 Corvette could look like. Besides the E-Ray, here are some of the other stories Steve and Keith will discuss....
1. Corvette beats the Porsche 911 as Consumer Reports most satisfying car to own.
2. GM delivers over 9,000 Corvettes in the 4th quarter of 2022
3. Corvette Racing debuts the GT3.R on January 27th at the Rolex 24
4. The Mecum Auction at Kissimmee sells the very first Corvette Sting Ray
5. The National Corvette Museum hosts exhibits to celebrate 70 years of Corvette
All the Corvette E-Ray news you want and need plus much more on next week's CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines show!
Listen to the podcast, watch the YouTube video, join the Facebook group, sign up for email notifications and shop in the Merchandise Store at: www.CorvetteToday.com
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including E-Ray, SR & Z06 Pricing, SR & Z06 Visualizers, 70th Anniversary Info, Press Releases for SR & Z06 & Their Build & Price, Order Guides & Visualizers

E-Ray Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Official E-Ray Press Release: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-press-release
Official GM E-Ray Pictures: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...and-visualizer
+ 25 KEY E-Ray Components/Factors: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rs-information
E-Ray Leaked Info/Visualizer: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tte-e-ray-leak
Z51 & Z06 GM Track Specs: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ecommendations
Z06 BUILD & PRICE: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
Z06 Order Guide: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=22412&type=0
Z06 Pricing Spreadsheet: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...9Chvp%E2%80%9D
Z06 MSRP and Options Pricing: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...freight-charge
2023 SR Build & Price: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...up-and-running
*2023 SR & Z06 Official Owners Manual: https://www.corvetteblogger.com/docs...ersManual.pdf; and,
https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...owner-s-manual
* 2023 GM Bash Major Seminar with HQ video: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ore-bash-video
*2023 Stingray Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
* COPMPLETE 2023 STINGRAY PRICING: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ion-Center.pdf
*2023 Stingray (ONLY Order Guide: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=22412&type=0
*70th Anniversary Combined Press Release For SR & Z06: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...iversary-model
*Z06 Press Release: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-press-release
*Z06 Reveal Pictures: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eveal-pictures
*Z06 Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Order Guide (unofficial): https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-action-center
*Z06 vs Z07 Aero Components: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...s-similarities
See more
See less

No Manual? Will there be backlash?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Manual? Will there be backlash?

    I am curious about the following:

    If a manual is offered, would you choose the manual option or DCT?
    Assuming DCT is, in fact, the only option, do you think there will be significant backlash among corvette enthusiasts?

    When the 991.1 GT3 was introduced, no manual was offered. The response from Porsche enthusiasts was strong. In response, Porsche introduced the uber low production 911R, which offered the GT3RS motor with a manual (however, you had to be Jesus to get your hands on one for $400k+). So, that was not good enough for the Porsche community and the backlash continued until Porsche decided to bring back the manual which is now being offered on the 991.2 GT3.

    I am a die-hard manual guy. To me, a DCT can never mimic that kind of driving engagement. Years ago, my buddy and I swopped cars for a weekend. He took my C6 ZO6/ZO7 and I took his Nissan GTR. When I first got behind the wheel of the GTR, the DCT experience was a novelty. It was new, exciting and a different experience for me. I enjoyed it...initially. By day 2, I was bored and wanted my manual back.

    Do you think the backlash from Corvette enthusiasts will be similar to what Porsche corporate experienced (assuming no manual is offered)? Unfortunately, I really don’t think the corvette community will complain if no manual is offered. At least not in great enough number to force Chevy to reverse course.

    Are we really looking at the death of the manual? ? Will you be protesting with me?
    Last edited by PaulChristian; 09-12-2018, 08:28 PM.

  • #2
    The last numbers I saw said that the take up rate for autos was approximately 80% of total sales. I would prefer the manual but wouldn’t be surprised at a DCT only configuration. I bet there will be some backlash similar to what Ferrari and Lamborghini saw but probably not enough for them to redesign. Porsche had the advantage of basically not having to change much on the design other than making sure it could handle the torque.
    Current Car - 550 HP 370Z Twin Turbo
    Current Motorcycle - 2018 Tuono 1100 Factory
    Future Car - ME Corvette!

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting question. I think that this new design is directly aimed at attracting new blood, a newer, younger generation of enthusiast. In my opinion, I think GM will lose many of the older, die-hard loyalists, but will also gain (unknown) new people who do not even know how to drive manuals. Im with you, Paul, theres nothing like spinning tires going sideways while holding the gear until redline, listening to that engine scream -and then slamming it into second.

      I'd rather lose a second 0-60 instead of have an automatic… but if a manual is not offered, im still getting the auto...… That alone will not deter me from this new machine.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm a manual lover also...but times, they are a changing. If I love the car in every other way, I'd probably go ahead with it. It would be my 7th Corvette, and the first auto. Just need to move forward and enjoy...if it's a great machine?
        '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
        '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
        Several others including two C7's

        '20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

        Comment


        • #5
          Good points VH1 and USVTRN! I think one of your conclusions echoes what is happening nationwide, for only 2% of all vehicle sold in America last year were stick shifts. As for Corvette, 22% who bought a manual in 2018, when they replace it are either going to try and find something else that would meet that need, for, as we are going to do, make a massive change and try the DCT (after 53 manuals in a row).

          I sure understand the 22% are either outright really angry, others resigned to their making that change, yet some are happily going to embrace the change to a DCT in their future.
          2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

          Comment


          • #6
            I Prefer DCT due to the performance benefits as well as the daily driver ease of just hitting the auto button and forgetting about it when in traffic. If a manual was offered, I certainly wouldn't buy it.
            Sigmon - Hamilton, Ohio, USA
            2021 Elkhart Lake Blue Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 3LT Z51, D30, BV4, E60, EYK, FA5, FE4, Q8T, ZZ3, J6N
            Deposit: March 20/20, 1100: Nov 17/20, 2000: Feb 12/21, 3000: Feb 17/21, 3300: April 15/21, 3400: April 23/21 TPW 5/3/21, 3800: 5/4/21, 4200: 5/10/21, 5000: 5/10/21, 6000: 5/10/21

            Comment


            • #7
              The only reason I bought the Z06 and had extensive modifications to the engine done was because it was an automatic. The day of the stick are dead and buried. Technology changes and I for one am glad the new ME will not be offered in a stick. GM will not have to recover the NRE that the manual qualification in this car would entail. Means a car that cost less money for me and will not require any compromises in design to accommodate the manual form factor.

              Comment


              • #8
                Camaro, mustang, challenger, mazda mx5, fiat 124, lotus, bmw m3,m4, porsche 718 cayman and boxster as well as porsches 911 offer both a manual and automatic sometimes including dct as the automatic and those lower volume and often times lower priced vehicles offer both autoamtic and manual transmissions.

                i fully expect the manual transmission to be offered as the standard c8 transmission and the dct will continue to be the optional transmission.

                ease of prodiction may preclude at launch the availability of a manual transmission but as prodiction ramps up we will surely see a manual transmission.

                suppliers are ready willing and able to meet gm s requirements for a manual transmission corvette.

                rumors to make corvette enthusiasts upset are just that. Rumors.

                wait for the official release in January and or april pricing guide before continueing the often spoken of no manual transmission corvette..

                i just dont see any level headed gm corvette engineer or marketing man telling executives lets pass on offering a manual transmission corvette.

                just my two cents..l

                maybe not at release to increase speed of prodiction.but once caught up..the manual will be added into the production mix.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would definitely prefer a manual. Manuals are more involving, and the whole point of driving a high performance sports car is to DRIVE. As in actively be involved in driving, not just going places. But that's just me and an admittedly small number of others.

                  If the ME ticks all my buttons otherwise, I won't refuse to buy it because of the DCT. I would refuse to buy it if the only transmission offered was a slushbox auto.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

                  Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

                  Never grow up - It's a trap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JBsC6 View Post
                    Camaro, mustang, challenger, mazda mx5, fiat 124, lotus, bmw m3,m4, porsche 718 cayman and boxster as well as porsches 911 offer both a manual and automatic sometimes including dct as the automatic and those lower volume and often times lower priced vehicles offer both autoamtic and manual transmissions.

                    i fully expect the manual transmission to be offered as the standard c8 transmission and the dct will continue to be the optional transmission.

                    ease of prodiction may preclude at launch the availability of a manual transmission but as prodiction ramps up we will surely see a manual transmission.

                    suppliers are ready willing and able to meet gm s requirements for a manual transmission corvette.

                    rumors to make corvette enthusiasts upset are just that. Rumors.

                    wait for the official release in January and or april pricing guide before continueing the often spoken of no manual transmission corvette..

                    i just dont see any level headed gm corvette engineer or marketing man telling executives lets pass on offering a manual transmission corvette.

                    just my two cents..l

                    maybe not at release to increase speed of prodiction.but once caught up..the manual will be added into the production mix.
                    I am saving this one for the future. It makes no sense. Time will tell that is for certain as it waits for no man ….

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Manual transmission is honestly starting to become old and out dated technology as automatic transmissions become faster and smoother. Most high end manufacturers are starting to phase out manuals and some such as Ferrari and Jaguar already completely stopped offering it. Sure you won't get the "feel of the car" experience that you do when driving stick, but automatics are becoming better and better. In a few years time, it will be impossible or next to it to find a new vehicle that's a manual. It's just evolution of technology =) same reason people no longer use flobby disks, CRT tv's (the ones with the big box on the back), or any other old technology that is no longer used.
                      Last edited by Bluevette; 09-12-2018, 09:40 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post

                        I am saving this one for the future. It makes no sense. Time will tell that is for certain as it waits for no man ….
                        I have no imside information as none of us do...logic should prevail and if not ill buy the first round...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post
                          The only reason I bought the Z06 and had extensive modifications to the engine done was because it was an automatic. The day of the stick are dead and buried. Technology changes and I for one am glad the new ME will not be offered in a stick. GM will not have to recover the NRE that the manual qualification in this car would entail. Means a car that cost less money for me and will not require any compromises in design to accommodate the manual form factor.
                          Dead? Based on what? The fact that it is the inferior performance option? To that I say it is not just about performance. We are all different. Some prefer the additional driver engagement the manual offers. Simple as that. I couldn’t care less about modifying 500+hp cars as I can’t even drive a car with 300hp at its limit. Additionally, I am not thrilled about the prospects of keeping a DCT equipped car out of warranty. I don’t trade my cars in every 3 years and tend to keep my cars longer term.

                          I do agree with you on one point, however. I do think it makes good business sense for Chevy to offer just one trans option....and I only say this because too few in the corvette community are opting for the manual. There are just not enough people out there like me. It seems Every corvette I see is an auto. I’ve been taking a mental note....and it’s almost always an auto. An auto simply ruins the experience for me.

                          Sadly, I think most will reason like you within the corvette community...but not truly for the added performance gains (as most will claim) but rather because they just prefer the ease of use. Not saying this is you, of course.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bluevette View Post
                            Manual transmission is honestly starting to become old and out dated technology as automatic transmissions become faster and smoother. Most high end manufacturers are starting to phase out manuals and some such as Ferrari and Jaguar already completely stopped offering it. Sure you won't get the "feel of the car" experience that you do when driving stick, but automatics are becoming better and better. In a few years time, it will be impossible or next to it to find a new vehicle that's a manual. It's just evolution of technology =) same reason people no longer use flobby disks, CRT tv's (the ones with the big box on the back), or any other old technology that is no longer used.
                            Well apparently Porsche doesn’t think it is dead yet.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Auto DCT for ME , Manufacturers can tune the ECM for the proper engine RPM and less wear and tear on both engine and transmission. I'm sure it makes more sense from a cost point of view over people tearing things up by missing shifts and grinding gears and chewing up syncro rings , bearings , seals etc. Not to mention the added stress on the now advanced engines and expense of repair while under warranty.
                              Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X