Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 12/2: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...ehicleID=21905
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

Are the rear window side vents open to the elements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the rear window side vents open to the elements?

I forgot to look closely at this in person when the car came to my local dealer. But I've recently been browsing thru some high rez pictures the rest of you have taken and I think I'm seeing the mesh "vents" that run vertically to the left and right of the rear window are open. Meaning when the rear lid is closed those are still open to the elements.

Is that true? And if so - what portions of the engine area are exposed to the elements?

I ask because mines going to be a daily driver, rain snow or otherwise bad weather included, and we get plenty of that here in Ohio.
    (and yes I daily'd my C7 for years and loved it)

Thanks in advance

Yes, they are open. GM says not to worry if it gets rained on or gets wet when you wash it. Just don't drive it through a carwash or use a high pressure wand there.

But it probably does mean more frequent engine bay cleaning if water gets in their. It looks like water will mostly run to either side of the engine, not the engine itself. If you get the engine appearance package, with the CF pieces that cover the frame rails and sides of the engine bay, those are probably what will need cleanup most. Without those pieces, it might take a fair bit more effort.

Another plus for the convertible. No need to clean the engine every time you wash the car.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

On the C8 coupe, there is a similar opening into the “engine compartment,” though of a different nature. That is due to the rear of the hatch glass being “floating.” Thus under certain conditions, water will get into the coupe’s engine compartment as meyerweb noted. And for those who wish to keep a tidy ship, the engine compartment will take cleaning.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, this is a great opportunity for someone connected to the C8 to have a "mat" produced in rubber or lightweight plastic that would fit on the rear window during washing. It would keep the water out during washing and cleaning. Should be the first accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBluster View Post
          As I mentioned earlier, this is a great opportunity for someone connected to the C8 to have a "mat" produced in rubber or lightweight plastic that would fit on the rear window during washing. It would keep the water out during washing and cleaning. Should be the first accessory.
          Yeah, that would work.

I've been assuming that the aftermarket would provide foam pieces that would snugly fit it place during a wash.

We shall see...
          Upcoming Vette:
          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

What about when you park a c8 outside etc during the day or night and we get 6 inches of snow on the ground and on the rear window vents...?

quite honestly that happens quite often as a daily driver so I imagine corvette engineers planned for it....

cant imagine snow country is taboo for use of any corvette...

snow melts and drains down the openings in the rear window edges as planned by Corvette engineers.
            Last edited by JB; 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM.
            Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

I really don’t see what the issue here is, my 2002 ferrari 360 has similar vents on each side of the rear window and hosing down the engine and blowing it dry has never caused a problem...high pressure isn’t necessary but the car isn’t so fragile that it needs to be pampered...just use common sense..if you are using the c8 as a daily driver or parked outside or driven through rain storms etc you will have a dirty engine bay...the engine compartment will get dirty as air flows through it ...I don’t intend to care for my c8 any different than my 360....and I don’t anticipate any problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Hillslam View Post
                I forgot to look closely at this in person when the car came to my local dealer. But I've recently been browsing thru some high rez pictures the rest of you have taken and I think I'm seeing the mesh "vents" that run vertically to the left and right of the rear window are open. Meaning when the rear lid is closed those are still open to the elements.

Is that true? And if so - what portions of the engine area are exposed to the elements?

I ask because mines going to be a daily driver, rain snow or otherwise bad weather included, and we get plenty of that here in Ohio.
                (and yes I daily'd my C7 for years and loved it)

Thanks in advance
                Assume the design was done well there should not be a problem

Much less open space then the hood I did 20 years ago has never leaked down into engine bay
                Either in weather or using a pressure washer, as long as not directing water force directly into the openings
                but still the drainage design prevents water seeping into the engine bay

Couple of images when I did the hood which is still on my 99 C5 today

Click image for larger version  Name:	extracthood.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.9 KB ID:	89118

Click image for larger version  Name:	hood3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	89117
                Last edited by Teamzr1; 11-10-2019, 09:25 PM.
                Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Tbob View Post
                  I really don’t see what the issue here is, my 2002 ferrari 360 has similar vents on each side of the rear window and hosing down the engine and blowing it dry has never caused a problem...high pressure isn’t necessary but the car isn’t so fragile that it needs to be pampered...just use common sense..if you are using the c8 as a daily driver or parked outside or driven through rain storms etc you will have a dirty engine bay...the engine compartment will get dirty as air flows through it ...I don’t intend to care for my c8 any different than my 360....and I don’t anticipate any problems...
                  I never cleaned an engine bay other than wiped off the top of the engine compartment with a rag once or twice a year...

so if you could fill is in on exactly what you did that would be cool.

otherwose Ill just ask the corvette tech after I get the car and do its first or second service...

might be in the c8 owners manual?

window for the engine compartment ? This is a first for many of us.
                  Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

My experience with the 360 is that dirt gets in from underneath the engine as well as the vents feeding air into the engine compartment and the window vents...if the engine is not to dirty I will hose off the entire area and then use a master blaster to blow out all the water especially low lying areas that hold water....if the engine is really dirty I use a bucket of water with meguiars car wash and just wipe everything, then blow it out... for the inside of the rear window and the window separating the cabin from engine area, I use a special window cloth and windex.... that’s it basically.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ACF1E9B4-35B1-4C59-89C3-B63CD171B2F9.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	89154Click image for larger version

Name:	D236EEFE-FAAD-40E8-A5D0-A31C1A88D6E0.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	89155Click image for larger version

Name:	E97D64E7-F95C-4517-B2F7-DA9024EBD087.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	89156

Comment

This car is now almost 18 years old and I am very happy with the condition of the car and the engine bay...I bought the car with 500 miles on it in 05 and I think it’s in pretty good shape...these pics were taken this morning...

Comment

Thanks that's very helpful info!

Comment

Maybe some lo-tackiness painters tape would help to cover vents for spirited washings.
                          C8er

Comment

Bob-Great info and a great looking engine!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X