X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM in the news again

GM, Toyota, FCA back Trump on California emissions standoff

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/28/...nia-emissions/

Does this help them, hurt them, or just don’t care?
    Last edited by Meldoon; 10-28-2019, 09:19 PM.
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

I think pretty much any vehicle made today complies with CA emissions. I'm sure back when there were CA only smog items on engines the manufacturers probably were not to fond of having to build them specially for the CA market.
    The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

It seems that there are now two separate groups of auto makers. Those with or for the California standards, and those against. This may be a factor for consumers purchasing new automobiles. Time will tell.
      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
        GM, Toyota, FCA back Trump on California emissions standoff

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/28/...nia-emissions/

Does this help them, hurt them, or just don’t care?
        As a CA resident, I am disappointed that GM didn’t take the high road here.

Comment

46.7 mpg average fleet fuel economy by 2026 is a pretty big jump. 37 mpg seems alot more attainable, and remember we will be the ones paying for the developement costs for these vehicles not the car companies.

Comment

I am incredibly disappointed in GM’s decision on this matter. Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70’s and 80’s, the air was so bad that you could not see nearby mountain ranges, outdoor activities were suspended on smoggy days, and I have memories of my lungs burning from playing sports outside. The air quality now is much better, but it can still be dirty and disgusting on certain days. Millions of people will have serious long term health issues because of air pollution.

California has millions of cars on the road, and they are one of the leading causes of air pollution – not a unique problem by any stretch, but it is more of an issue because we have more cars than anywhere else in the country. The air quality in California has improved largely as a result of the state’s ability to control auto emissions. GM supporting what is effectively increased pollution levels in the state in order to maximize their short term profitability is just the wrong thing for them to do.

I have never owned an American car in my life, and the C8 is the first American car I have had any interest in. My generation has always viewed American cars as behind the times in comparison to their Japanese and German rivals. Part of that perception results from **** like this where they push back on the government against safety and environmental standards. With the C8, GM had the opportunity to re-introduce themselves to a new generation of perspective buyers, but the younger generation also wants GM to be a responsible corporate citizen. They have just shot themselves in the foot with this decision.

The good news is that BMW and Porsche (VW) understand this are on the right side of history in this debate.

Comment

Originally posted by TAdams65 View Post
              I think pretty much any vehicle made today complies with CA emissions. I'm sure back when there were CA only smog items on engines the manufacturers probably were not to fond of having to build them specially for the CA market.
              Then there's always the early 80s Corvette that could only be had with the 305 in California.
              Save the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pinkoboe View Post
                I am incredibly disappointed in GM’s decision on this matter. Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70’s and 80’s, the air was so bad that you could not see nearby mountain ranges, outdoor activities were suspended on smoggy days, and I have memories of my lungs burning from playing sports outside. The air quality now is much better, but it can still be dirty and disgusting on certain days. Millions of people will have serious long term health issues because of air pollution.

California has millions of cars on the road, and they are one of the leading causes of air pollution – not a unique problem by any stretch, but it is more of an issue because we have more cars than anywhere else in the country. The air quality in California has improved largely as a result of the state’s ability to control auto emissions. GM supporting what is effectively increased pollution levels in the state in order to maximize their short term profitability is just the wrong thing for them to do.

I have never owned an American car in my life, and the C8 is the first American car I have had any interest in. My generation has always viewed American cars as behind the times in comparison to their Japanese and German rivals. Part of that perception results from **** like this where they push back on the government against safety and environmental standards. With the C8, GM had the opportunity to re-introduce themselves to a new generation of perspective buyers, but the younger generation also wants GM to be a responsible corporate citizen. They have just shot themselves in the foot with this decision.

The good news is that BMW and Porsche (VW) understand this are on the right side of history in this debate.
                You mean the BMW and VW who were outright caught cheating on fuel mileage with secret code in the PCMs to lie on smog testing and are you talking about 10 million illegals in that state with no drivers licenses, plates and insurance and millions of cash for clunkers that were to be crushed and instead are driving those vehicles pumping **** into the air ?

Smog has been **** in Ca back in 1970s and is as bad today even with all their strict smog rules, why worry about EPA when ever year they burn the state down to the ground ?
                Tired of Ca dictating what we all do in the other states.

Who is dreaming as the C8 looks at best at 27 MPG and you expect it to hit even 45 MPG by 2024 ?
                and 54 MPG 2 years later ?

EPAs new MPG specs are more doable and even better then required this year and BTW shove that Ethanol junk in Corvettes that reduces mileage.
                Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

You mean the BMW and VW who were outright caught cheating on fuel mileage with secret code in the PCMs to lie on smog testing and are you talking about 10 million illegals in that state with no drivers licenses, plates and insurance and millions of cash for clunkers that were to be crushed and instead are driving those vehicles pumping **** into the air ?

Smog has been **** in Ca back in 1970s and is as bad today even with all their strict smog rules, why worry about EPA when ever year they burn the state down to the ground ?
                  Tired of Ca dictating what we all do in the other states.

Who is dreaming as the C8 looks at best at 27 MPG and you expect it to hit even 45 MPG by 2024 ?
                  and 54 MPG 2 years later ?

EPAs new MPG specs are more doable and even better then required this year and BTW shove that Ethanol junk in Corvettes that reduces mileage.
                  Right on, haha haha. Selective memory , or totally out of touch with the real world and fact based news . never intend on going to California, ever.

Comment

The health of our environment should be everyone's concern.

Comment

LOL you must be joking ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance's tops View Post

Right on, haha haha. Selective memory , or totally out of touch with the real world and fact based news . never intend on going to California, ever.
                        Only one selective is state of Ca and idiot rules
                        I lived over 20 years in the Silicon Valley (Sane Jose area)

1. Bought a 1999 Corvette from a dealer out of state, only had 500 miles on it.
                        A stupid Ca law that intent is to protect dealers in that state is a person cannot buy a out of state car with less then 2,500 miles on it and get it titled and licensed in Ca.
                        In my case had to license it from the state I bought it

2. Car insurance was costing me over $1,800 a year in Ca, state I am in now, $600 a year

3. License tags in Ca, over 1,000 per year, state in now, less then $150 and that is for 2 years

4. Ca highest gas rates in country

5. Hardest smog rules and testing where it suits is to wack a car as a "gross polluter" and have the owner for 2 years running around with forced multi smog tests

6. Interesting the state I am in now, county I live, zero smog testing and air is clean,

Yea, and they want to dictate the rest of the country when Ca has some of the worst smog in all of the USA.

I recall like in the 1980s GM had to have Corvettes that met Ca smog and all other states used another calibration and Ca had the worst smog then the others

Yea selective stupid Ca laws and rules that have always failed and nameplates should not bare the extras costs (passed onto the customers) to comply to CARB
                        that has never succeeded cleaning the **** air quality in all their cities
                        Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                        1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

We are again getting back into social and political commentary. This is now the fifth such thread closed because of our forum rule that political and social commentary is not allowed.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinions, judgments, and similar in other places.

​​​​​​ Thanks for taking your valid thoughts on these issues elsewhere.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X