Buying an entirely new Vette the first year during a strike year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an entirely new Vette the first year during a strike year

I think the new C8 appears to be a great car but I am hesitant to buy one in the first year especially in a strike year. it is sure to have issues to be corrected and it will be assembled by perhaps some not too happy union employees.

"Unhappy" workers who got everything they wanted.

I doubt there will be any shoddy workmanship by the line workers.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ted. We are glad you joined us.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG
Views:	1325
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	85501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	1275
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	85502 I had this discussion with someone the other day while checking out his corvette collection. I asked his thoughts about the C8 and he suggested I wait till the 2021 model year for all of the obvious reasons. I was also told that the first model year of the completely new platform would likely see some changes in the second year of production which may devalue the vehicle. I was surprised by all of his comments and he told me he was getting one of the first 2021 models. It definitely made me think about that for a while. I however plan on using the car for a driver and then purchasing the Z06 C8 or whatever they may call it in the future for my garage queen. So that may be something for some to consider as I will not be selling mine anytime soon and I am confident if there may be any issues they will be handled accordingly.
        ​ ​​​​​​​
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

Sure, but the 2022 model year will be even more refined, and less bugs. Maybe wait for 2023. 2024 might be even better. Alternatively, live life now and drive an amazing car while others wait on the sidelines.

Comment

I consider these Gm production workers professionals and as such they take pride in their work.They are as excited as we are about the future that this new era in corvette represents for them and their families. They know the demanding C8 purchaser expected something more for their money and they have delivered in the past and will do so in the future. IMO your concerns about a “strike year” production purchase is over blown and unfounded.
            Some individuals are early adopters and some are not. I have not had anything of concern with my 2014 C7 and I anticipate it will be so with my C8.
            jmoymmv

2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
            1100 status 😊
            2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Originally posted by TED CARLISLE BLUE VETTE View Post
              I think the new C8 appears to be a great car but I am hesitant to buy one in the first year especially in a strike year. it is sure to have issues to be corrected and it will be assembled by perhaps some not too happy union employees.
              If you have any concerns, just wait for a year or two.

As for me, I'm looking to have mine arrive in the March/April 2020 time-frame.
              Upcoming Vette:
              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

3 years, 36000 miles for any problems to become evident. I'm not apprehensive.

Comment

I think of strikes by unions as a way of life. My father was a big union guy. I don't think it means the UAW has a grudge against the poor, unsuspecting C8 buyer. Think how many people are in the UAW, and what % of them work on building the C8. My problem is just a bit more delay for delivery.

Comment

I'm hoping more people feel the same way as you. That way I'll get my 2020 sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by The Pinkoboe View Post
                      Sure, but the 2022 model year will be even more refined, and less bugs. Maybe wait for 2023. 2024 might be even better. Alternatively, live life now and drive an amazing car while others wait on the sidelines.
                      My sentiments exactly.

Comment

I did over 30 factory tours during the C7 era. Did VIP tours, Buyers Tours and more — the latter two when you really get a chance to talk with many line workers. Ditto, that BGA workers are good people, are excited that we are excited at what they are building.

Remember “it starts at $169,000: confirmed,” “its reveal is delayed again,” “it is going to have a V6,” and many other emotional challenges we have weathered to get to today.

​​​Today starts the next and positive chapter, and like the earlier ones, we will weather this one too — and move forward from now on!
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by TED CARLISLE BLUE VETTE View Post
                          The employees just got a signing bonus and some future guarantees. I always think they see that making the best product possible is in their and the companies and customers interest. I believe that the employees are prideful of their work. But the first year is always "rookie" even for superstars and supercars. I am confident in their good heart and bless them.

Comment

I personally am choosing to not buy a first year version of such a totally new product. I made that decision before the strike. The strike may add a little bit of support to my decision, but it's not the primary factor. But note that the BG facility apparently voted against ratification.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Hooray for GM and it’s workers ,and with a signing bonus the employees look forward a great Christmas and we are looking for a fantastic SPRING..........👍😍🍾
                              2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                              1100 status 😊
                              2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X