Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Nurburgring Testing - Underbody Protrusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurburgring Testing - Underbody Protrusions

Has anyone else noticed these protrusions on the underside of the cars testing at the Nordschleife? At first I thought they may be ducts for brake cooling or something of the like, but I wonder if these could also be part of an active suspension system for the car. It seems there’s one for each wheel and the patent for the system indicated sensors to measure the height of the car from the road surface. What do you guys think?
    ​​​​

Skid plates? Temporary while testing.

I only say that because in the last video there's a moment when the car is in the bumpy carousel section and the sound of a scrape is noticeable.

Definitelty there is something hitting the ground at 1:19

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-09 at 8.33.48 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	8345
    Last edited by ABorC; 09-09-2018, 11:50 AM.
    2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
    Spectra Grey Tridents.
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

I heard that scraping in the first video, less in the following ones one the same section of the track. I am sure that “back at their garage” after each day’s run, or maybe even mid-day, they are constantly adjusting, e.g., maybe ride height adjusters in this case?
      Last edited by ABorC; 09-09-2018, 11:47 AM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-09 at 8.33.48 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	8345
        Off topic, but I really like the aggressive profile of the C8 in your screen cap. Reminds me of a Lamborghini Diablo.

(Image via TopGear)
        1999 Coupe - Black
        2002 Coupe - Millennium Yellow
        2008 Jaguar XKR - Liquid Silver

Comment

I sure hope the C8 doesn't ride so low it need skid plates. It would be totally impractical in the real world, with potholes, speed bumps, driveway aprons, etc.

Sort of like this:

Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/17: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Scraping in the carousel is what all cars do there. Its the right front bumper/facia. Watch any vids of any cars going through there at speed and they all scrape the right front and make that horrible noise. Just my opinion but it appears that they may be using active underbody aero similar to what Lambo is doing. I know GM applied for some patents on this and there are some images somewhere showing the aero enhancements.

Comment

Thank you RoketRdr. Here, BTW is the active aero patents; while on a C7, all said when it was first discovered by CorvetteBlogger on March 23, 2017, that the patents were for the C8.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-active-aero
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Thank you RoketRdr. Here, BTW is the active aero patents; while on a C7, all said when it was first discovered by CorvetteBlogger on March 23, 2017, that the patents were for the C8.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-active-aero
                Yep thats the one I remember seeing. Looks like they relocated the active underbody "panels" from the original patent or the camera images are just playing tricks on the eyes. Either way it looks like they're finally adding the new technology needed to get up to speed with the exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
                  Skid plates? Temporary while testing.

I only say that because in the last video there's a moment when the car is in the bumpy carousel section and the sound of a scrape is noticeable.

Definitelty there is something hitting the ground at 1:19

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-09 at 8.33.48 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	8345
                  If you had the opportunity to watch the C7 Z06 being tested at the Nurburgring with Mero driving, it too made the same scrape sound on that same corner. I believe that the front splitter is what is making the sound. The photo illustrates how close the passenger side splitter is at that point. Nothing new, just a severe loading of the suspension in that hard and banked left hander. JMHO

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X