Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 11/1: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

C8 Wheel Gap Is Amazingly Large. And It Flies Too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Wheel Gap Is Amazingly Large. And It Flies Too!

Watch a C8 fly! For real.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8C53E6A5-79F8-40CA-812B-1FA82F95C734.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	81824
    Picture credit and thanks to Marc Urbano.

Thanks to Car and Driver for this teaser to this Wednesday’s embargo end. We look forward to reading their article in less than 48 hours. There’s a reason why I have subscribed to this great magazine for over 40 years.

Originally posted by CarandDriver
    Watch 2020 Corvette Stingray Fly in Our First Track Test

Our full test of the new mid-engine Corvette drops on October 16. Here's an inside look at the process while we wait.

By RICH CEPPOS
    OCT 14, 2019
    • We tested two C8 Corvette Stingray coupes, both equipped with the track-capable Z51 Performance package, at three different locations.
    • We drove the new mid-engine Corvette for a week on local roads, put it through a battery of performance tests, and pitted it against an identically prepared C7 Z51 on Grattan Raceway's road-racing circuit.
    • Yes, the C8 caught big air over Grattan's infamous jump. But was it quicker than the C7 around Grattan? You'll know at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, October 16.
    We have now probed and prodded the new mid-engine Corvette like a NASA doctor giving a physical to an astronaut. We've weighed it, measured it, and put it through multiple stress tests to see what makes it breathe hard, and figured out whether it can stay calm under pressure.

Just two days from now, you'll learn what we've discovered about the C8 when we reveal the results of our testing. Here's what we did to uncover the new mid-engine Vette's secrets:

For our test, we actually drove two nearly identical Stingray coupes—all C8 coupes come with lift-off roof panels, so they're technically targas. One was Torch Red, the other Sebring Orange Metallic Tintcoat. Both were top-spec 3LT models equipped with the Z51 track-capable Performance package—plus multiple other options including carbon-fiber interior and engine-bay trim, custom-colored seatbelts, extra-cost alloy wheels, and front-end lift mechanisms designed to keep the front splitter from scraping speed bumps and steep driveway approaches. Not surprisingly, both Vettes stickered far above the base C8's $59,995 asking price.

The red car was designated for road driving and photography, which is exactly what we did with it. Virtually the entire C/D editorial staff sampled the red rocket extensively on local roads, including numerous circuits of our challenging 10Best loop.

The orange coupe went first to Grattan Raceway along with an identically equipped C7 Z51 coupe, where the two generations of Corvettes fought for quickest lap time. Then the orange car, fitted with a fresh set of Michelins, was put through our comprehensive track-test regimen to quantify its acceleration, braking, cornering grip, and interior sound level.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...y-fly-testing/
    Last edited by John; 10-14-2019, 12:16 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

And I thought this was Another post about lowering the C8. I want my click back! But looking at the photo, I see negative camber on all 4 wheels in full droop. Very interesting suspension geometry , I may have to look into this. Can’t wait for the car so we can plot all the geometry and see what the GM engineers did. Looks very good so far. It’s not your daddies Fiero
    i do hope this was not a photo chop. It does look like the old photo of the car we saw several months back when it was still in cameo
    Last edited by Racer86; 10-14-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

There’s a video at the linked Car and Driver article that shows it flying. It is for real. Maybe we will need a pilot’s license.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Landing from video looks a little brutal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.37.11 PM.png
Views:	366
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	81844

Comment

And animated...

Name:	CD-corvette-jump1.gif
Views:	364
Size:	968.9 KB
ID:	81846

Comment

Good screen capture, both the pic and for your video importing. You are skilled lashedup, for which we thank you!

Guess I will not be motocrossing my C8.

Comment

I never did quite understand the wheel gap complaints, but if what you see on normal cars is what I now see in this screen grab I am starting to understand your fixation

That being said, can't wait to go flying in my C8

Comment

What the video doesn't show is that immediately upon landing heavy braking is required to make a fairly tight right turn at Grattan. A fun track with elevation changes that once cost me the left front corner on my DB-6. Nice airborne picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift93 View Post
                  What the video doesn't show is that immediately upon landing heavy braking is required to make a fairly tight right turn at Grattan. A fun track with elevation changes that once cost me the left front corner on my DB-6. Nice airborne picture.
                  Land short, turn quick. Kinda like Lime Rock

Comment

the red rocket...
                    I think that statement right there is a hint about how it performs.

Originally posted by lashedup View Post
                    Landing from video looks a little brutal...
                    Actually, watching the actual video, it looks remarkably well controlled, all things considered.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Looking at the photo, I wouldn't be surprised if it scraped the splitter on landing. Maybe he should have programmed the E60 lift for that touchdown location!

Anyway, I know what I'm doing at 8 am Wens. Need a big pot of coffee at the ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
                        But looking at the photo, I see negative camber on all 4 wheels in full droop. Very interesting suspension geometry, I may have to look into this.
                        Do you think that might mean there's positive camber going the other way, i.e. in compression from loading one side during a corner? That would be unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Do you think that might mean there's positive camber going the other way, i.e. in compression from loading one side during a corner? That would be unfortunate.
                          Good god I hope not. No positive camber. The camber curve can be set to do camber increase on bump, and if done correctly ,also on a small value of droop. just depends on where you set the camber curve and on the static ride height you want. Most street car do have positive camber on the inside front tire when turning. Racing stock cars do use a lot of positive camber on the inside tire on circle tracks. It can help but usually not used on road racing cars.

Comment

The skies are getting crowded. Motor Trend got into the flying Vette game too.

Originally posted by Motor Trend
                            We kindly informed our friends at Chevrolet of our airborne excursion, as a matter of professional courtesy. We know press cars go to other outlets, so as part of our test policy, we try to always inform auto manufacturers if their loaners have been raced (especially if they had a shunt), taken off-road, or gone flying through the air. Some automakers react poorly to the latter, but to Chevy's credit, its PR and engineering handlers didn't blink. In fact, they asked us what PTM mode we used. When we told them Tour, the response was, "Why not Sport or Track mode?"

Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Jump.gif
Views:	271
Size:	1,004.0 KB
ID:	81932
                            Last edited by Klinn; 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
                              But looking at the photo, I see negative camber on all 4 wheels in full droop. Very interesting suspension geometry , I may have to look into this. Can’t wait for the car so we can plot all the geometry and see what the GM engineers did.
                              Immediately noticed that as well. Very very unusual. Looking at the cutaway pics of the suspension there doesn’t seem to be anything that immediately jumps out that would indicate an opposite camber arc than the normal. The upper control arms must be shorter than what we’ve been accustomed to on the Vette. Interesting days ahead.
                              Last edited by RoketRdr; 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X