MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

Advice on 4-post lift for C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a bit of a process to swap the cars I'll admit that. However I don't drive my Vette a lot in the winter once PA starts slinging salt all over the roads. In the summer most of the time the Vette is on the bottom. If I want to switch in the morning before work it might be a five minute process.

So there are things you have to watch out for. Yes it is tighter but not to the point I worry about side swiping. The biggest lesson I learned is that in my case, since I only have 10' ceilings, my clearance between the 430xi and the lift isn't a lot. With my older 328 I inadvertently popped the trunk and it hit the lift and put a nice ding in the trunk lid. I strategically placed some truck cap tape underneath the cross bar as added protection so that cannot happen again. Also, the 430xi hatch opening position is adjustable so it's not a problem anymore.

Other advantages of the lift are for cleaning and maintenance. I've actually had my F-150 up there to do a suspension upgrade. Advantage makes an accessory hydraulic jack that allows you to lift one end of the vehicle. It's worth every penny.

Comment

+1 on the hydraulic jack. Added it to my order as well.

Comment

Check out GREG SMITH EQUIPMENT.

Comment

It's getting closer. Lift was delivered to the shop last week, and I brought it home yesterday. This is a big and heavy package! Another week wait for the garage doors to be replaced. I hope to have it done before christmas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	95839

Comment

When I got mine, I couldn't wait to fix up my barn and I assembled it in my garage. It was a pain to drag to the barn. lol. Did you get the wheels with it? Anyway, you won't lift it with those forks Have fun! Kids love looking at the bottom of cars.
            Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
            Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
              When I got mine, I couldn't wait to fix up my barn and I assembled it in my garage. It was a pain to drag to the barn. lol. Did you get the wheels with it? Anyway, you won't lift it with those forks Have fun! Kids love looking at the bottom of cars.
              I've already measured and see that problem in my future. Another two car garage is going to be built about where the back of my tractor is, and the lift will go in there. Yeah, it has the casters, but the lift won't fit out of the garage door. I'll have to disassemble it, move it in pieces, and reassemble it.
              Little johnny there was used to take the accessories crates off the truck. That gave me room to put the pallet jack in, turn the lift 90 degrees, and just push it right back to the lift gate. It worked much better than anticipated. I had my brother in law come over, and the green giant is my son, but I think I could have done it myself if need be.
              I've measured another half dozen times today. If I'm right, I'll have just over an inch above the corvette when I get it high enough to lock and unlock the lift at the highest landing height I can get to, and with it landed at that point, my work car should fit underneath with just about two inches of clearance. My daughter hopes I'm wrong, as she's the only one with a car with a low roofline.

Comment

I bought an Advantage Lift SS9000XLT (120V) 3 years ago & works excellent. Did a lot of research first. XLT is "Extra Long, Extra Tall" as I use this lift to the max, being a mechanic for 25 yrs as a living & now for fun. So I've used a lot of different lifts. Loaded my 2003 1500HD QS to 9000# and it had no problem lifting that. Dimensions: Track 16' long, inside 38" wide, outside 75" wide to which I welded on 4" angle iron extensions on each side to widen it to 83". Width between the cables (for mirror clearance) is 98.5". Air/hydraulic jack (TK608-5) is heavy & hard to move, feet extend to only 44" wide but lifts well & I will be doing improvements on it for better foot extensions, bearing wheels vs. bushing wheels for better movement, etc. This a China made, exact duplicate of the US made Backyard Buddy lift, both are almost identical quality, if not exactly the same. IMO, this is the most robust, safest and strongest lift out there in large part due to the corner posts being full box iron, not slotted like most which tend to spread under severe use during heavier lifts. Also, the tracks have more support underneath to minimize spreading as well, especially when using the jack. I got together with my neighbor who was also a HD mechanic in the armed forces for years -- we both got the same lifts along with another neighbor -- none of us have had any problems with the lifts. The width between the cables is 98.5", which I think will be just enough to fit my 2020 3500HD dually (when they finally start making them -- yes, waiting on another Chevy product!)
                Also have to share this pic of a Jeep that is about as happy and patient as I am waiting for my C8!
                I bought an Advantage Lift SS9000XLT (120 volt) 3 years ago & works excellent. Did a lot of research first.I got together with my neighbor who was also a HD mechanic in the armed forces for years -- we both got the same lifts along with another neighbor -- none of us have had any problems with the lifts. XLT is "Extra Long, Extra Tall" as I use this lift to the max, being an Auto & HD mechanic for 25 yrs as a living & now for fun. So we've used a lot of different lifts.This a China made, exact duplicate of the US made Backyard Buddy lift, both are almost identical quality, if not exactly the same. IMO, this is the most robust, safest and strongest lift out there in large part due to the corner posts being full box iron, not slotted like most which tend to spread over time under severe use during heavier lifts. Also, the tracks have more support underneath to minimize spreading as well, especially when using the jack. Loaded my 2003 1500HD QS to 9000# and it had no problem lifting that. Dimensions: Tracks: 16' long, inside 38" wide, outside 75" wide to which I welded on 4" angle iron extensions on each side to widen it to 83". Head clearance under the hoist at full height is 84" -- lots of room above with 18' clearance on my 20' ceiling height. Air/hydraulic jack (TK608-5) is heavy & hard to move, feet extend to only 44" wide but lifts well & I will be doing improvements on it for better foot extensions, bearing wheels vs. bushing wheels for better movement, etc. For side mirror clearance, the width between the cables is 98.5", which I think will be just enough to fit my 2020 3500HD dually (when they finally start making them -- yes, waiting on another Chevy product!).
                I also have to share this pic from Canada!
                The Jeep looks about as happy and patient as I am waiting for my C8!
                TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

This thread opened my eyes to the world of 4 post lifts. Today I ordered a Mayflower Blacksmith Pro 8000 for $2,100, free shipping to local terminal (I don't have access to a forklift) and no tax.

I have a two car garage, with two cars inside and my daily driver outside under a Harbor Freight portable garage. I'm hoping to sell one car I keep inside before I get the C8, so that will leave me with three cars. If for some reason I don't sell the one by the time I get my C8, I will have four cars, ****, I will need more space! If I'm lucky and sell the one car, I can bring my daily driver back inside with an addition of a lift.

I have a 11' ceiling, a 16x10' door and when the door is up there's 10 feet of clearance to the floor. I shouldn't have any trouble with clearance since all my cars are small and low to the ground, no full size trucks or vans, etc.

Cheers, PB
                  Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current toys, 1973 Vega Wagon, SBC 355, 600hp and a GM LS1 powered 1992 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

On order, 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Battery Protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Panic Button View Post

I have a 11' ceiling, a 16x10' door and when the door is up there's 10 feet of clearance to the floor. I shouldn't have any trouble with clearance since all my cars are small and low to the ground, no full size trucks or vans, etc.

Cheers, PB
                    Perfect height! With the garage door closed you can even stand under a car (assuming a height of 6'1" or less)

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
                      Perfect height! With the garage door closed you can even stand under a car (assuming a height of 6'1" or less)
                      Yes, perfect height and I'm 5' 9". This lift should be great once installed.

Only issue is, I have a portable two post lift that I leave anchored to the floor all the time with 92" between the two posts. I ran the hydraulic hose overhead so I could leave it in place. This new lift will fit in-between the two posts with room to spare. I think the runway width is 77".

I'm hoping the two will co-exist with each other and I should be able to still use the two post to raise a car off the 4 post lift if I need to take the wheels and tires off and do any mechanical work that needs to be done. I will make sure the new lift is centered on the existing two post lift.

The two post has its pros and cons. The pro is there is nothing under a car when lifted, completely free of obstacles when crawling around under the car. I will lose that ability once the 4 post is installed and in the way. The con is, it only lifts a maximum of 48" (when using the 3" extension, which I can never use with my cars, too low to the ground) and I can't walk under it either.

I might move the 4 post to the other side but that's where the work/storage benches are and there's 86" between the benches and the post for the two post lift. Access to benches would be limited with two cars there. Good thing it has casters and can be moved around once assembled so I can play around and figure out what works best.

Cheers, PB
                      Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current toys, 1973 Vega Wagon, SBC 355, 600hp and a GM LS1 powered 1992 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

On order, 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Battery Protection.

Comment

I use my four post lift mostly for just changing wheels and oil changes. It's pretty easy to use a jack to raise the car to change tires. Did you get a jack tray with your hoist? If so you can use a bottle jack to raise the pumpkin etc. I have never needed to do that, but I have both if I ever do need it.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X