MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 11/1: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

Potential HTC Top Issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Potential HTC Top Issue

    First let me say I love the new HTC and I’m going to order one.

    But I was thinking about what happens if there is a problem opening or closing the top. As I understand it, the C8 top mechanism is controlled by electric motors - not hydraulic like my C6 (and C7’s I think). If I have a problem on my C6, I can raise or lower the top manually.

    So I asked my Chevy concierge. I was told the top “is power only, but a service tech can lower or raise it with tools if service is required”.

    Imagine the top failing while down in a hard rain, or it fails during operation with the hatch all the way up!

    Hopefully the process to override the motors will be expedient and no special tools will be required so we can at least close it ourselves.

    Since some of the exotics out there have have a similar convertible top arrangement, can anyone provide some insight?

  • #2
    Or your battery is low and quits 1/2 way......Great question.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Garabaldi View Post
      Or your battery is low and quits 1/2 way......Great question.
      As long as the engine is running and the alternative spinning, there should be enough power to operate the top.

      And I'm not sure if put much stock in the concierge's answer. In normal operation, the C7 top is "automatic only." The ability to move it manually is strictly an emergency capability. Also, the concierge are not part of the engineering team. There's been lot they don't know and things they've gotten wrong. I certainly don't know, but I won't be surprised if GM has thought of this.

      In any case, convertible top failures don't seem to be a common issue on the C7.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

      Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >35,000+ miles

      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

      Never grow up - It's a trap.

      Comment


      • #4
        We had an SSr for 13 years and currently have Ferrari and a BMW i8. If we add in the C6 and C7 I can say that in all the years of ownership and operation, we NEVER had an issue or failure on any of 'em related to the operation of the top. Based on my experience, I believe that an injury due to a meteor shower should be of greater concern than the top failing in the rain.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

          As long as the engine is running and the alternative spinning, there should be enough power to operate the top.

          And I'm not sure if put much stock in the concierge's answer. In normal operation, the C7 top is "automatic only." The ability to move it manually is strictly an emergency capability. Also, the concierge are not part of the engineering team. There's been lot they don't know and things they've gotten wrong. I certainly don't know, but I won't be surprised if GM has thought of this.

          In any case, convertible top failures don't seem to be a common issue on the C7.
          For what it’s worth. The concierge stated that the information was provided by the engineering team.

          Comment


          • #6
            Same argument used to be back in the day "what if" your power windows fail. I don't think its an issues. Same manufacturer and mechanism as Ferrari's and others, it's tried and true.
            2020 C8 Spider: Torch Red GKZ, Natural HUV, 2LT, J6E, 5V7, 5ZU, NPP, 3F9, E60, ERI.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparro View Post
              Same argument used to be back in the day "what if" your power windows fail. I don't think its an issues. Same manufacturer and mechanism as Ferrari's and others, it's tried and true.
              What he said. The same company that designed and developed the HTC for Ferrari is the same company that designed and developed the C8 top. Quality design with quality parts. And like someone else stated...in all my years of vert ownership I’ve never had a top failure nor do I know of anyone else that has. And IF your top got stuck open in the rain just think of it this way...you have a funny story to tell your grandkids.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not savvy on ordering a new Corvette series - because I was not going to order a coupe I did not study all the material.
                Where/How do I order my HTC or can I even order at this point? My local dealer says his 3 allotments in December are filled (too early for HTC anyhow) but he has 5 coupes allocated in March April. How do I know if he can use one for a HTC? I do not want to get months into this and find out he can not get a HTC. I was told the info is not even out to price the HTC - I did not think that was correct.

                I have gone to the site and built my HTC - love the site............was not going to go for the coupe in 2020 but want the HTC. I like to pull my top off my C7 Z06 but it is a PITA to pull off and on all the time especially for short trips - which is my normal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Recruiter Rick View Post
                  I am not savvy on ordering a new Corvette series - because I was not going to order a coupe I did not study all the material.
                  Where/How do I order my HTC or can I even order at this point? My local dealer says his 3 allotments in December are filled (too early for HTC anyhow) but he has 5 coupes allocated in March April. How do I know if he can use one for a HTC? I do not want to get months into this and find out he can not get a HTC. I was told the info is not even out to price the HTC - I did not think that was correct.

                  I have gone to the site and built my HTC - love the site............was not going to go for the coupe in 2020 but want the HTC. I like to pull my top off my C7 Z06 but it is a PITA to pull off and on all the time especially for short trips - which is my normal.
                  Read through some of the material here and then go to the bottom of the home page and get a hold of one of the forum dealers. They will tell you straight.
                  https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...r-new-corvette
                  Rocket City Florida

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    John
                    I went to your post on the HTC and the price list is appreciated - grayed out but still readable.......I gather by this that the HTC pricing is not automated to build ones order. .... I must be jumping the gun and should apply a little more patience ...as suggested just sent message to a national sales guy to get the scoop and get on his list, if he has allocation for HTC remaining
                    Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I guess you can call AAA.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Carry an extra 70 lb battery and long jumper cables in frunk. It also works as ballast.
                        C8er

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wonder if one of those lithium battery jump starters would have enough power to operate the top. If it will start the car, you would think so. And they only way a couple of pounds.
                          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                          Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >35,000+ miles

                          Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                          Never grow up - It's a trap.

                          Comment

                          MECF_728x90_bottom

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X