Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Official Z06 Speculation Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    replied
    Since the average price of an out the door C8 Stingray is now over $85,000 and will be closer if not exceeding $90K in 2023, most will have a choice, i.e., do I want my really loaded SR for $100K or will I get a minimalist Z06?

I saw this happen during the C7 era many times, but the one I remember the best is when a person shared with me via a PM his identical dilemma. In the end he decided that he truly did not need the Z06’s power and went with a massively loaded C7 Stingray including the Buyers Tour with his lifelong car buddy (“an experience I will never forget” as he wrote me later).

The question become as it is for 99% of us, what are our priorities? I have a friend who always stays in 5-star places on his many vacations to faraway places, weekly eats in the finest restaurants, but bemoans he can not afford a new Corvette (though he now has 6 non daily driver vehicles including three Corvettes and also a massive Match Box collection he won’t “ever sell” that itself could come close to buy him a new Stingray. Choices and options…

Leave a comment:

• Frenzy36
    replied
    I don't believe they would make the blocks of magnesium. There is a creep fracture factor when heating magnesium. It basically becomes weak and causes cracking with excessive heat cycles.

Article on Creep https://matmatch.com/learn/property/creep-strength

This also from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnessium
    High-temperature creep and flammability
    Research showed that magnesium's tendency to creep at high temperatures is eliminated by the addition of scandium and gadolinium. Flammability is greatly reduced by a small amount of calcium in the alloy.[24] By using rare-earth elements, it may be possible to manufacture magnesium alloys with an ignition temperature higher than magnesium's liquidus and in some cases potentially pushing it close to magnesium's boiling point.[26]
    Last edited by Frenzy36; Yesterday, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SheepDog
    replied
    GM has has in-house[in China] Magnesium casting expertise. Perhaps the cost will be spread across the company's many products and facilities internationally. Do not see how the Stingray is 60K. But it is. And buyers are not cheaping-out at the base price. People are loading up on extras. So if they set the Z06 pricing consistent with Stingray pricing strategy, buyers will option 3LT and all the trimmings, carbon fiber everything. The money will be in the options. The conspicuous reasonable base price creates appetite for the desserts. I'm finger crossing on the notion of consistency.

90K$ would be 50% above the base car. Even 85K$ would be a giant step. Somewhere between 80 and 90K$ for the rock bottom Z06. ??? Why more. ??? There can be several variations of the product with higher prices.

$79,999.00 for the no option rock bottom base car out the box. A 130K$ for a full specked car.
    But. I know absolutely nothing but wish.
    Last edited by SheepDog; Yesterday, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Another good two questions? I do not think the C8.R’s motor is magnesium. Anyone know?

Leave a comment:

• pageda
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    I have revised my own thinking about the Z06’s price upwards in the last few weeks due to re-factoring in the increased cost of a DOHC compared to a OHV. Now including in also what appears to be a magnesium inclusion as the DCT case, and imo if it is there they would again use magnesium for its engine cradle as we learned from CorvetteBlogger they did for the 2019 ZR1, I am revising it upward again.

Maybe we have an updated poll on Z06’s MSRP?
    Will the engine be magnesium, is the C8 R engine magnesium?

Leave a comment:

• NaturallyAspirated
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark2021C8+ View Post
    I think the base 2023 Z06 will be $99,900 with a good optioned car at around $125k.

It makes sense. Some people have suggested it will definitely be 80 or 85k. I don't know how they could think that.

But i think GM will try their best to keep it under 100k, like 99 just so they can say, the best "supercar" you can buy for under 100k.

Leave a comment:

• Mark2021C8+
    replied
    I think the base 2023 Z06 will be $99,900 with a good optioned car at around $125k.
    Last edited by ABorC; Yesterday, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I have revised my own thinking about the Z06’s price upwards in the last few weeks due to re-factoring in the increased cost of a DOHC compared to a OHV. Now including in also what appears to be a magnesium inclusion as the DCT case, and imo if it is there they would again use magnesium for its engine cradle as we learned from CorvetteBlogger they did for the 2019 ZR1, I am revising it upward again.

Maybe we have an updated poll on Z06’s MSRP?

Leave a comment:

• NaturallyAspirated
    replied
    Rick c's video that was posted today on youtube has got me really excited except for the fact that i think it's going to be all motor.

But of course if they did make the car all motor, the car had to be lighter. But that combination drives the price up.

We aren't going to see this car start at 80 or 85 grand. Sorry guys. This is going to be a 100+ thousand dollar car.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    What we know is limited, but we do know that every dealer gets to handle their own customer lists differently. It is possible that at dealer “X” that they could interchange what you order. BUT that is extremely unlikely because of one overriding factor, that GM will allocate differential allocation amounts for each model.

Let’s take the 2019 model year. In a given month, dealer X might have received this mix of their allocations: 20 Stingrays, 8 Z06’s and 1 ZR1, while dealer Y got that same month: 30 Stingrays, 17 Z06’s and yet still one ZR1 — showing that the ratio’s of the allocations between dealers are not transferable (nor linearly predictable)

In the last couple of weeks I have talked with a key representative of the very top dealers and while they all strongly believe that GM will again divide allocations by model for 2023, they have no idea as to how many nor what percentage of their allocations for then would be Z06’s. Perhaps we could start to get some information when we/they learn at the Z06’s reveal within the next 149 days as to how many Z06’s GM is planning on making for 2023 — for GM did say in their teaser video that they would share “availability” information at the reveal. My thinking is that GM meant when they said we would learning availability info at the reveal is when production is estimated to start rather than total 2023 model year production, i.e., I doubt we would be getting Z06 MY production even at the reveal, and we much later end up watching allocations unfold month by month as the 2023 model year production approaches (just as three days ago dealers heard just their first month’s 2022 allocations).

Leave a comment:

• VetteStromWing
    replied
    Originally posted by Nasty2ss View Post
    I have a question.If you put your name on the list for a C8 and your turn comes up after they introduce the Z06 can you change from a stingray to the Z06? do you have to be on a Z06 only list?
    I personally am on four different Z06 only lists. As of more than two years ago.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    God questionsNasty, and really good answers Missileer and Frenzy. Bottom line is exactly as their posts noted AND of course GM has yet to even officially announcement there ever will be a Z06.

So we all wait and conjecture and maximize our own options. As an example, right now I am on a Z06 and an E-Ray and C9 lists. I know I will buy the Z06 but whether I buy anything after that is one huge question. Maybe3 even a ZORA? My options are open.

Leave a comment:

• Missileer
    replied
    So there will be two different allocations?New to the corvette world, how did it work in previous years? Will there be a limited number of Zs built?
    It’s not just a matter of the allocation but how dealers will manage their lists

If you are 6 on a base list and they only get 5 plus 1 Z06, you will not jump the Z06 queue at the larger, forum dealers

Instead you will roll forward to #1 on the next base allocation. Doing anything other this would be wholly unfair to those who got on Z06 list early on and left base lists open for others

Leave a comment:

• Frenzy36
    replied
    So there will be two different allocations?New to the corvette world, how did it work in previous years? Will there be a limited number of Zs built?
    They will allocate so many ZO6's to each individual dealer. Just like they allocate only so many Stingrays. We do not know how many they will make and either do they. They would like to produce as many as possible - but we all know that is challenging. Get on 2 lists if you are unsure which you may want.

Leave a comment:

• Nasty2ss
    replied

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X