Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Official Z06 Speculation Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks rickg747. That is an amazing piece of information, e.g., instructors (ex professional drivers) needing 755 HP and 335 rear tires to stay ahead of students coming out of corners in C8’s.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Over on ferrarichat someone just posted the below comment. The reason I don't completely dismiss it is because of some intangibles that don't make this feel like a bs post, things like he has been on the forum for 15 years and his historical posts seem genuine. Also, on April 3, 2018 a couple of sneak peek pictures of the C8 were shown to a group of dealers: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ne-c8-corvette

That being said, take it with a bucket of salt. Though at least it is falsifiable soon, just need to wait two weeks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-13 125313.png Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	270257
      Last edited by z8ra; 05-13-2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Thanks z8ra. I am digging right now to confirm or deny this birdie whispering. [Personally I doubt it.]

What I find very interesting is the number of positive comments the C8 on Ferrichat (the # 1 Ferrari forum). They have been overall very enamored with the C8 for literally three years, had many threads about the C8, one of which went over 60 pages long. Their interest in the C8 was confirmed by a top ten Corvette dealer who has sold more than a few C8’s to Ferrari owners and has many more Ferrari owners on his C8 Z06 list., Many use it or plan to use it as their daily driver. And no surprise, more than isolated comments about its low price, one adding that he was impressed by its fit and finish.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Birdies checked it out and just said, “not true Ferrarichat Z06 dealer showing rumor.”

I learned about a year ago from a dealer that a dealership buddy of his was part of a small group that had been were shown a completed C8 before 7.18.19 —around 9 months before the C8’s reveal, so I would expect this to occur for the Z06 again at some point to that small, special group. However I was never even told me about that special meeting that his friend attended occurring until after the reveal was long over (when it did a lot of good lol).

After some calls were made within the last hour, the birdies have concluded that no such meeting as rumored on Ferrarichat is scheduled in Bowling Green nor anywhere soon. . And now that I think of that specific timing going back to the C8, if repeated for the Z06, that would say that the Z06’s reveal is at least 9 months away, ergo around late next winter (in line with many of our thinking that the Z06 is a 2023 model).

An errant Ferrichat rumor. Even some Ferrari owners are excited about the Z06’s coming…

As to GM showing the Z06 to its annual dealers’ meeting which typically takes place in the Spring, even though in 2018 everyone who walked into that meeting first signed a written NDA, the one person who broke that agreement and blabbed afterwards got into very serious trouble as a result. From taking with a Corvette team member at the 2019 NCM end-of-Caravan August, 2019 event, they are not inclined to share again even the equivalent two quick PowerPoint sketches as they did on April 3, 2018 to that very large all-Chevy-dealer group. I do not blame them for 1) we all know the Z06 is coming at some point, and 2) every dealer already has more customers who want one the Z06’s first, 2023 model year than they will ever get allocations for.

In the last month, I talked to a medium sized dealer who said, “I could immediately sell our two full years of the Z06 even it is priced higher than most of us think it will be.” He added that, “I could right now sell two full years of the C8 Stingray if GM sent them to me.”

Comment

• It seems to me they must be having a lot of problems dialing in this new Z06. C7 Z came in the second year, this one you’re saying needs 2 full years more testing than did the C7 Z06. Or.....perhaps their budget was cut. Or......maybe those that believe the delay is due to Stingray sales being sooooo strong are correct. .................

I’m goin’ driving...........👍😎
            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

• It is a lot more work to bring out a high performance mid-engine model without the benefit of 50+ years of front engine progressive refinements. Just like the C8 Stingray took over 10- years from initial planning to full execution, the C8 Z06 is taking more time.

While I personally want my C8 Z06 tomorrow, I would rather GM take their time to get it 100% right. Of course that is exactly the concept/execution that Tadge and team always follow, get it right/get it fully developed before we sell our first customer car.

None of the lengthy C8 Z06 development time, it being longer than we wish, says as claimed in the above post, that they “they must be having a lot of problems.”

Comment

• A car that is going to be as good as the C8 Z06 is worth waiting for no matter how long it takes. The last thing anybody wants is car that is not prime time ready. I have several friends that waited a very long time for their 488 to arrive (16-18 months) so while a few more months to wait for the Z06 is giving me heart burn it will be more that worth the wait IMO.

Comment

• Exactly! And every month between now and its arrival is more time to save for more Z06 options. And then aftermarket options. I am going to spoil it. Typically I do 35-40 mods to every vehicle we own (including our DD’s). I only have done about 8 upgrades to our C8 since it is a ‘temporary” and the Z06 will be the “keeper” (the last naturally aspired V8 high perf C8).

Ice cream is a great medical treatment for heartburn…

Comment

• Originally posted by 455SDguy View Post
                    A car that is going to be as good as the C8 Z06 is worth waiting for no matter how long it takes. The last thing anybody wants is car that is not prime time ready. I have several friends that waited a very long time for their 488 to arrive (16-18 months) so while a few more months to wait for the Z06 is giving me heart burn it will be more that worth the wait IMO.
                    For sure. I am excited but like Christmas its day will come but this time two XMas’ away.

Comment

• Originally posted by John View Post
                      Our C7 ZZ06 was easy for me to drive in hot weather on hot pavement, e.g., the southwest during the summer. It was a bearcat to drive on a spring or fall day in the Pacific Northwest, e.g.. cool weather with more than occasional wet pavement. Where we live we have had summers where it did not even reach 90 degrees once.

Driving our Z06 on a typical day around home was a constant exercise of a)throttle modulation and b) when you gave it 3% more power than it could properly handle and also hook up, a constant rear end walking to the right with a near-instantaneous steering correction to keep it straight while withdrawing some amount of throttle pressure.

And, BTW, why the official GM figures for the C8 are that it is faster to 60 MPH than both the C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1, e.g., the former’s far superior ability to hook up and go forward.
                      That is so true and of course that is all about the tires as you know, since I was inspired by the article in road and track I think with your very car called “winter beater” or something to that effect (hilarious!) and is why I had a second set of rims with winter tires on them and just changed them for the colder season. That z07 was my only car for 5 years and with the winter tires that let me drive it the other half of the year. I put almost 90k miles and drove it all year round as my only car in the Seattle area, even in snow covered roads. The looks and comments such as are you crazy were priceless. Of course you are right the c8 would be even better in the winter 🥶 with the rear weight bias, and the awd hybrid c8 versions will be even betterer, maybe even in deeper snow if the suspension is dialed up all the way. Makes me wonder how high can it be raised since everyone is only curious about how much it can be lowered. I guess I am stubborn but why not drive the best car all year round, it is engineered so well it can take a beating all year round without missing a beat. And dealership personnel are often gleeful when they someone driving the heck out of it. GM pounds the **** out of these cars in all weather, so we know they were engineered for it.

Comment

• Well written z8ra. We typically get a winter picture of Harlan driving his Corvette convertible in the snow. Of course they run them with pure winter snow tires, eg. Michelin Pilot Alpin 4’s; that is the same excellent tire they use during their winter Kapuskasing, ON playground testing ground. Kapuskasing is 540 miles NW of Toronto, often gets -40 degree F weather for cold start, windshield defrosting and other related testing. [That testing is a GM requirement for all new vehicles.]

Corvette’s Assistant Chief Engineer Phil Minch said of his driving the C7 Z06 with those tires during an entire snowy Detroit winter, “the car was as stable all winter as a tank with treads.”

Comment

• Way back in the day I had a 87convertible and drove it in Chicago all winter with the same tires it came with and did the same with the 90 that I bought after the 87. They went through some fairly heavy snow without a hitch.
                          2021 ELB, 2LT, Red Interior, Red Calipers, Standard Wheels, Front Lift, NPP,
                          MM Deposit Dec. 15, 2020
                          May 15, 21 2000
                          May 18, 21 3000

Comment

• Originally posted by John View Post
                            Corvette’s Assistant Chief Engineer Phil Minch said of his driving the C7 Z06 with those tires during an entire snowy Detroit winter, “the car was as stable all winter as a tank with treads.”
                            The car might be stable and it will brake in a safe distance. However, the handling and ability to put power to the ground are compromised and the ability to enjoy anywhere close to what the car offers is off-the-table. There are compromises driving a low slung two-seater in an urban environment. While I drive my vette in the winter, those compromises lead me to use a sedan most of the time for better visibility, space, and to keep the salt and miles off the most expensive car in my fleet.

At this point, you have a pretty good combo for empty nesters. A small SUV and a sports car. One of these day, I'd like a Porsche Macan S to be my winter car, but I think replacing my wife's DD has priority over that. And I'm saving my chips for the Z06. Sometimes non-monetary obstacles are greater than than the financial ones.

2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

• Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
                              The car might be stable and it will brake in a safe distance. However, the handling and ability to put power to the ground are compromised and the ability to enjoy anywhere close to what the car offers is off-the-table. There are compromises driving a low slung two-seater in an urban environment. While I drive my vette in the winter, those compromises lead me to use a sedan most of the time for better visibility, space, and to keep the salt and miles off the most expensive car in my fleet.

At this point, you have a pretty good combo for empty nesters. A small SUV and a sports car. One of these day, I'd like a Porsche Macan S to be my winter car, but I think replacing my wife's DD has priority over that. And I'm saving my chips for the Z06. Sometimes non-monetary obstacles are greater than than the financial ones.

Or perhaps a Corvette SUV Zora edition instead of the Macan 😮😁

Comment

• More photos of a high-wing (higher wing?) Z06 prototype from our friends at GM Authority:

Interesting "license plate." Doing brake testing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Z06-Prototype-Spy-Shots-Large-Rear-WIng-GM-Milford-Proving-Grounds-May-2021-002-768x512.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	271017

In January 2020, GM Authority exclusively reported that the upcoming C8 Corvette Z06 would feature a massive wing spoiler. This was confirmed in June, when we published spy shots showing a C8 Z06 undergoing testing. Now we can reveal further images of the aerodynamically enhanced sports car in action at GM’s Milford Proving Grounds.

Name:	2022-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Z06-Prototype-Spy-Shots-Large-Rear-WIng-GM-Milford-Proving-Grounds-May-2021-001-720x340.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	271018

In plan view, the shape of the wing corresponds to that of the trunk. It is almost like a squared-off boomerang, with a center section at the extreme rear from which side sections extend well forward, almost in line with the rear wheels.

The wing will be offered as part of an optional package, likely to be called Z07. In this case, a vehicle fitted with it could reasonably be described as Corvette Z06 Z07. A further upgrade with active aero features will also be available, as will carbon fiber wheels.

The heart of the Corvette Z06 will be its mid-mounted 5.5L V8 LT6 engine, a descendant of the twin-turbocharged 4.2L V8 LTA Blackwing motor fitted to the now-discontinued Cadillac CT6-V. Despite the relationship, differences between the Cadillac and Chevrolet versions are substantial. The LT6 will be naturally aspirated, and will have a double overhead camshaft (DOHC) cylinder head with 32 valves, along with a flat-plane crank.

No official performance figures are currently available, but the latest estimate is that the LT6 will produce around 615 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque. It will drive the rear wheels of the Corvette Z06 through an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission.

The Corvette Z06 is expected to make its debut in July of this year, [Not likely I don't think - meyerweb] and to go on sale as a much more affordable rival to the Porsche 911 GT3 and the Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

Name:	2022-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Z06-Prototype-Spy-Shots-Large-Rear-WIng-GM-Milford-Proving-Grounds-May-2021-004-768x512.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	271019

I note that this one has side exhaust exits, not center, for whatever that is worth.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/05...th-large-wing/
                                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X