This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Z06 Speculation Thread

This thread is sticky’d as requested. Please note however that every other new/after thread that duplicates this thread’s sole focus, will be either eliminated or merged into this one.

Z06 speculate away — but again only within this thread. Thank you.

Thank you Tropical Buzz, aka “BuzzArt” for this great Z06 rendering. We already have a stickied, separate Z06 rendering thread — where you will find some other Z06 renderings of his, and also other very talent artists.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...z06-renderings

Click image for larger version  Name:	176FF6BA-C844-4704-9D50-FA406022483C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	145.9 KB ID:	79722
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

John, we may see this beast sooner then we expect it! On the other hand, GM is in a strike phase with no sun on the horizon. We may not see it soon! I just want to see my HTC by next summer.

Comment

I keep trying to damp down speculation that a Z06 is imminent, so that folks do not later get emotionally crushed when it does it appear as soon as hyped-up anticipation might have created.

Patience grasshoppers. It’s appearance is not imminent. As Itomn noted, we need to see tens of thousands of C8 Stingray in customer hands first.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Thanks to Cars Costs Technology

Thanks to RevMatchTV

Thanks to HorsePowerObsessed
        Last edited by Frenzy36; 10-06-2019, 09:26 PM.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

This guy knows.........but he’s not telling! 😎

Click image for larger version

Name:	065F485C-D6A9-4FBB-9BFF-8CC50CF5FECD.jpeg
Views:	2155
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	79748
          Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Z06 NA or TT.
            NA=Unique the other guys have no answer for a FPC NA V8. Sales advantage
            TT= Common

And the ZR1 can be TT

guess work

Base Z06 -80K$

Z06 + Z51/FE4 - 87K$

Z06 + HTC+ 87K$
            Z06+ HTC + 2LT + Z51/FE4 + 101K$

C8 Z06, HTC, 3Lt, Z51, FE4 -106K$ [ top dog Z06 ] Just add on the carbon fiber and 115K$. or keep it plain at 80K$
            Probable price of of Z06 80K$ ; 3LtT, 12K$; HTC, 7K$; Z51,FE4 7K$ = 105K$

Good and plenty early to start cashing in on bottle deposits. got a year
            Last edited by SheepDog; 10-06-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I believe there will be some Z06’s out the door, not counting taxes, at the +$125,000 level.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                I keep trying to damp down speculation that a Z06 is imminent, so that folks do not later get emotionally crushed when it does it appear as soon as hyped-up anticipation might have created.

Patience grasshoppers. It’s appearance is not imminent. As Itomn noted, we need to see tens of thousands of C8 Stingray in customer hands first.
                When you say it’s not imminent do you mean that as possibly no Z06 or not like in the next few months?! I don’t expect to see it any sooner then Detroit next year. I’m on the list for the next performance trim so I’m very interested in this topic!!

Comment

My best guess is that the Z06 will not be revealed during the first half 2020 calendar year, even maybe not until the beginning of 2021 calendar year. That is a guess, not based on any intel. I am just believing that the small sized Corvette team has just pulled off two miraculous reveals, and it will be a good while until they are ready to reveal the Z06. Huge amounts of work and time are necessary to come up with the very different Z06 powertrain, and IMO to implement some of those patents they have filed for over the past years (perhaps active spoiler, active splitter, and similar), and I am just not feeling the Z06 is in our near future.

Don’t get me wrong, for I am all in and buying a Z06, and I am wishing it appears way sooner than I believe.

Comment

Hi, John. Based only on the reveal of something new under the bonnet of that C8.R you saw at Kennedy Space Center in FL, I am guessing you will be able to order a Z06 by this time next year, and probably earlier as a MY2021. That is because GM needs to sell at least 300 of them to meet IMSA's homologation requirements for the new engine the 2020 GTLM season in CY2020. I am guessing a new from the bottom up, 5.5L DOHC NA V-8 that screams like an angry Komodo Dragon. Lord knows how much it will cost, but it won't be cheap.

Comment

Based on exemptions IMSA just gave BMW, I doubt there will be an issue, timing, or otherwise.

Comment

What the motor was in the C8.R, it sure did not sound like anything we have heard in a Corvette. ****, was it loud, did it rev fast, and just as positive, the second the accelerator was let off, the revs dropped just as quick. We all hope this coming Thursday or Friday we learn what was that mystery motor!

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...o-tommy-milner

Comment

Based on the C8R shown at Florida and in testing videos, a couple things are clear:

1. it’s normally aspirated
                          2. it sounds like a flat crank engine

IMSA/GTE rules allow up to 5.5l displacement. While fine for a race car engine, that would be a fairly high displacement flat plane crank engine in a street car (vibrations become an issue). The vibrations can be minimized, but it gets increasingly expensive to do so. The CAD drawings that leaked seemed to show magnetorehological engine mounts (Porsche uses these as well). There was an engine matrix spreadsheet that supposedly leaked showing a 600hp LT6 at 5.5l. But there is no indication officially that the spreadsheet is legit.

Now going into major speculation: Another possibility with the recent test mule cars that have been spotted, is an electric motor to supplement power to perhaps a lower displacement version of the flat plane crank engine. That’s a wild *** deduction at this point, but given no one has spotted or heard a mule yet with a different engine sound and the only mule we’ve seen recently had electric plugin connections near the frunk, it makes you wonder. That said, a Z06 would certainly get rigorous track testing where we would hear the engine, so I’d think we would start seeing mules soon.

Should be fun to see how this turns out. First clues maybe this week with the C8R specs.
                          Last edited by lashedup; 10-07-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

There is a void in the ME car world. There is no NA, FPC, V8. Unoccupied territory since the 458 went extinct. New Corvette space.

Discontinuation of the FE, V8, C7 left a void. See what happens there. Stang? Snake ? Z28.1?
                            Last edited by SheepDog; 10-07-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Road and Track speculation.......

If the C8.R is using a flat-plane V-8, there's a decent chance Chevy would offer such an engine in the C8 road car. The IMSA WeatherTech series bases its technical regulations for GTLM cars on the FIA's LM GTE class requirements, which stipulates that in order for a car to be homologated, its "engine must be derived from a series production engine produced at more than 300 units and fitted to a series vehicle from the same manufacturer."

The key word here is "derived." It's vague enough to be open to interpretation. And it's worth noting that the FIA homologation requirements indicate simply that the crankshaft should not be more than 10 percent lighter than the road car unit. Otherwise, constructors are allowed to do what they want—even change the firing order.

So, it is technically possible for Chevy to make a flat-plane version of the Stingray road car's V-8 just for racing. That seems unlikely given the rumors we've heard, but we'll have to wait to find out what the company did for certain.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X