MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
2 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 4 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

I have a question about engine break in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about engine break in

Is there an acceptable manner as to how you properly break in an engine of this magnitude. I'm going to pick it up in Maryland and drive it the 250 miles back to Long Island

Just avoid using cruise control or driving at one constant speed, and you will be fine. The traffic on I-95 makes it likely you will be varying the throttle setting a lot as traffic speeds up and slows. Avoid full throttle or engine revs over 3000-3500 rpm for the first 500 miles.

Comment

Stay off the freeways! I'm picking one up from Mike too. However, I'm driving it to Montana. I intend to take a couple weeks to do it while avoiding as many freeways as possible.

Comment

In the olden days, it was recommended to not exceed 50 mph and don't maintain a constant speed for the first 100-500 miles or so. Don't remember exactly. I do remember it was a PITA. Haven't seen these restrictions on any of the new vehicles I've bought since 2007. Others here probably have recent Corvette specific info.
        Save the wave.

Comment

Keep in mind you are breaking in the entire drivetrain and bedding in the brakes, too.

Comment

Ive picked up a few new corvettes from dealers far away myself. I would suggest treating the vehicle like you own body waking up in the morning..as far as the brakes amd suspension are concerned.

As far as the engine? I too am picking up the corvette from Mike in maryland and driving back to northern NJ...which probably means Ill take the same highways probably varying chosen gears from time to time to vary the engine revs a bit probably not revving beyond probably 4000 Rpms unless Mike tells me otherwise....(if the strike ever ends)..and with the 8 speed dct that should be easy...every so often ranging in gears 4,5,6,7. And 8...all depending on where the gears and speed land in the c8...maybe i wont even use fourth as I roll on down the highway....itll be weird doing so with the paddles.

id imagine the speeds will range from 55 to 85 mph depending on traffic flow...

should be easy to do as I take the ride home.

all I can say from past experiences its a glorious ride home to enjoy ...

its an epic adventure for-four or five hours.
            Last edited by JB; 10-07-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Follow GM's instructions, which will probably be the similar to the C7:
              • New Vehicle Break-In Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.
              • For the first 322 km (200 mi): . To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering. . New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops. This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.
              • For the first 800 km (500 mi): . Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops. . Do not exceed 4000 rpm. . Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control. . Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm. .
              • Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period. .
              • For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi): . Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities. . Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal.
              Last edited by meyerweb; 10-06-2019, 08:50 PM.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by 73shark View Post
                In the olden days, it was recommended to not exceed 50 mph and don't maintain a constant speed for the first 100-500 miles or so. Don't remember exactly. I do remember it was a PITA. Haven't seen these restrictions on any of the new vehicles I've bought since 2007. Others here probably have recent Corvette specific info.
                C7 had the no constant speed recommendation 😊
                '03 4Runner V8 4x4
                '16 Subaru WRX STI
                Corvette coming soon

Comment

From my C7 owners manual...

New Vehicle Break-In
                  Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle.
                  Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.

For the first 322 km (200 mi):
                  To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi).
                  New brake linings also need a break- in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first
                  322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.
                  For the first 800 km (500 mi):
                  Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops
                  Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
                  Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.
                  Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
                  Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
                  For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
                  Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
                  Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
                  Convertible Long Beach Red/Natural, 3LT, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Front Lift, FA5 Carbon Fiber Trim, Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents, 5ZZ High Wing, D84 Carbon Flash Top & Nacelles, ZYC Carbon Flash Mirrors, 3N9 Tan Belts, VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Originally posted by tbs156 View Post

C7 had the no constant speed recommendation 😊
                    My post, directly above yours, is from the C7 manual. The "no constant speed" is there.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by CaryBob View Post
                      Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
                      I was driving my last new car all over the place to clear that condition as quickly as possible -- looks like it'll be the same for the C8.

Comment

What about oil changes? I like to perform my first at 1K.
                        Vin # 2539
                        Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Swift93 View Post
                          Keep in mind you are breaking in the entire drivetrain and bedding in the brakes, too.
                          I would have thought they bedded the brakes of every C8 at Bowling Green during shakedown/test runs. I recently did my daily driver with new pads and drilled rotors and it only took a few miles of heavy on and off braking in the proper sequence to bed the pads. They got seriously smoked when I did it, but when they cooled and ever since they don't fade at all.
                          Bob Sliwa
                          "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
                          Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
                          2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

Comment

what is bedding the breaks mean?

Comment

Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
                              What about oil changes? I like to perform my first at 1K.
                              Oil changes are per the cars automated system. I believe engineers have said the first service will be around 5k or 7k. I forget which. It will also include tranny fluid.
                              '03 4Runner V8 4x4
                              '16 Subaru WRX STI
                              Corvette coming soon

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X