Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDI ?? Dealer Prep ??

Hey:
    Anyone have an idea what the Pre Delivery Inspection on the C8 entails? The flat rate hours. What Chevrolet allows Any info you have I would appreciate. It's the only open end on my purchase that the dealer isn't committing to and I don't want to be blindsided ... Thanks
    Our C8 Arctic White, two tone interior black w/ red seats, 3LT...options--EYK, PIN, E60, ZZ3,VK3, ZYC, DTH, Q8Q, ERI, YF5, FE4, Z51, BV4

Are you doing courtesy delivery? If not, I don't think the dealer has any choice in the matter. Pretty sure PDI is required by GM, and included in the price of the car.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3E012DD-C4A7-4D12-B25A-C4599FA00199.jpeg
Views:	641
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	72723

Name:	DABEB8C5-3B30-4A64-9582-8D4468E82025.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	72724 Here is what the C7’s 2016 PDI entails for we do not yet know how it might be different on a C8. Probably just ten to twenty items different, just as long a list. The dealer gets paid by GM dependent on the model of the Corvette (for on certain models it includes splitter, rockers, and/or high wing replacement of the Z51’s spoiler.

The dealer is not allowed to give you the car unless they have completed the PDI (so a customer can not say, “don’t do mine”). We customers must be smart enough to request a signed copy of it.

Last edited by John; 09-17-2019, 10:11 PM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Do we still get to do this IF we do a courtesy delivery to a local dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by drbodzin View Post
          Do we still get to do this IF we do a courtesy delivery to a local dealership?
          Yes, and the receiving dealer is the one that gets paid by GM for performing the service, so if they try to charge you extra for PDI feel free to laugh at them.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Name:	E3E012DD-C4A7-4D12-B25A-C4599FA00199.jpeg
Views:	641
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	72723

Name:	DABEB8C5-3B30-4A64-9582-8D4468E82025.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	72724 Here is what the C7’s 2016 PDI entails for we do not yet know how it might be different on a C8. Probably just ten to twenty items different, just as long a list. The dealer gets paid by GM dependent on the model of the Corvette (for on certain models it includes splitter, rockers, and/or high wing replacement of the Z51’s spoiler.

The dealer is not allowed to give you the car unless they have completed the PDI (so a customer can not say, “don’t do mine”). We customers must be smart enough to request a signed copy of it.

What John posted. O/p, the best way to approach this conundrum is to approach the PDI check list in the same manner as one would a long term lease vehicle or airport rental car. Do an in depth walk around. Both inside and out. Don't let the salesperson give you the short shift either. You've just made a major purchase you'll most likely be living with for any number of years. MikeyTX
            2017 Arctic White Z06 2LZ Convertible. Corvette Museum Life Member . Red White and Booze ........ TX, It's A Whole 'Nother Country !

Comment

One last note. Bring an accurate air pressure gauge. Preferably one you'll keep in the car. The on board TPMS can be off by several PSI.The reason for the aforementioned is that for transportation purposes, the tires are inflated to 50 PSI after the car is loaded on the transport. This insures that the tie down straps placed over each tire are snug. Sure as God makes little green apples, the tire pressures on my last three Corvettes never were brought down to factory specs during the PDI as they should have been.
              Last edited by MikeyTX; 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM.
              2017 Arctic White Z06 2LZ Convertible. Corvette Museum Life Member . Red White and Booze ........ TX, It's A Whole 'Nother Country !

Comment

Some dealers pencil whip it. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

What MikeyTX posted. Take your time to review your car. I saw seen some stories over the years, especially in pre-C7 deliveries where a customer finds something days or even weeks later, such as inside wheels being scraped and the dealer saying, “how do I know you did not do that yourself in your last six hundred miles you put on the car? A fair question.

I always go to a new vehicle delivery with a friend who is even more OCD than me, and in turn I go to his deliveries. That way there is one person there that is always not emotional (or at least less emotional) about this gorgeous new Corvette arriving. We each have a small but strong flashlight, a miniature pad (yes, we are ole school) and walk around the car separately. If he starts on the inside, I will start on the inside, then vice-versa. When when we are finished about twenty minutes later, sometimes longer, we compare notes. As Mikey said, take your time, do not let your salesperson or anyone else rush you. Needless to say it includes the engine compartment.

Bring your copy of your original GM WorkBench Connect and check that every single option you purchased is on your car (as slowly and methodically as you need to be comforatbale with this aspect of your review as you need. Are the mirror caps you ordered on the car? [Yes, bad example because they are now constrained but you get the point.]

Until you have determined you are finished with your examination (proper word for it), do not sign anything.

Why do things this slowly and methodically? Let’s say you notice that the right, outside muffler tip is scraped. You want that then to be later transferred from your notes and included on a document acknowledged by the Service Manager and the Sales Manager, on dealership letterhead, signed and dated by at least one of the two of them, indicating, “Car delivered to customer with a scrapped right outside exhaust tip.” Now is the time to be cautious/prudent.

Of course all this is secondary to having an outstanding service department at a great dealership, for if you have this, they will have done all this for you and will have already taken the next steps to solve anything. For example my courtesy delivery dealer (and by the way I am say hello to them today (after two previous calls), and yet still roughly six months before my car arrives, with a box of 18 donuts and pastries in hand), during my 2015 PDI, my Tech and their Service Manager came over to me and said, “car looks great, though we found a spot on the inside hood liner, so we already ordered you a new one.” This was before I had even before I had done my inspection. My Tech then asked me, “is there anything special you want me to do or to look at?” My answer, “wheel gap,” to which he said, I had noticed that it is not even all the way around, and I will be fixing that as part of the PDI at no charge.”

Long before that, they let me take the white traveling Tyvek cover off, wash my car, and spend hours in their heated detailing bay alone as I wished, the very last thing I did before I drove away, was to quietly hand my Corvette Master Tech (who are my dealership is the only one who does 100% of every Corvette PDI), a $100 bill.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Would a PDI possibly include the request to drop the vehicle back down an inch or so if equipped with Z51? Is this something I'd have to do with a spanner wrench on my own afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      What MikeyTX posted. Take your time to review your car. I saw seen some stories over the years, especially in pre-C7 deliveries where a customer finds something days or even weeks later, such as inside wheels being scraped and the dealer saying, “how do I know you did not do that yourself in your last six hundred miles you put on the car? A fair question.

I always go to a new vehicle delivery with a friend who is even more OCD than me, and in turn I go to his deliveries. That way there is one person there that is always not emotional (or at least less emotional) about this gorgeous new Corvette arriving. We each have a small but strong flashlight, a miniature pad (yes, we are ole school) and walk around the car separately. If he starts on the inside, I will start on the inside, then vice-versa. When when we are finished about twenty minutes later, sometimes longer, we compare notes. As Mikey said, take your time, do not let your salesperson or anyone else rush you. Needless to say it includes the engine compartment.

Bring your copy of your original GM WorkBench Connect and check that every single option you purchased is on your car (as slowly and methodically as you need to be comforatbale with this aspect of your review as you need. Are the mirror caps you ordered on the car? [Yes, bad example because they are now constrained but you get the point.]

Until you have determined you are finished with your examination (proper word for it), do not sign anything.

Why do things this slowly and methodically? Let’s say you notice that the right, outside muffler tip is scraped. You want that then to be later transferred from your notes and included on a document acknowledged by the Service Manager and the Sales Manager, on dealership letterhead, signed and dated by at least one of the two of them, indicating, “Car delivered to customer with a scrapped right outside exhaust tip.” Now is the time to be cautious/prudent.

Of course all this is secondary to having an outstanding service department at a great dealership, for if you have this, they will have done all this for you and will have already taken the next steps to solve anything. For example my courtesy delivery dealer (and by the way I am say hello to them today (after two previous calls), and yet still roughly six months before my car arrives, with a box of 18 donuts and pastries in hand), during my 2015 PDI, my Tech and their Service Manager came over to me and said, “car looks great, though we found a spot on the inside hood liner, so we already ordered you a new one.” This was before I had even done my inspection. My Tech then asked me, “is there anything special you want me to do or to look at?” My answer, “wheel gap,” to which he said, I had noticed that it is not even all the way around, and I will be fixing that as part of the PDI at no charge.”

Long before that, they let me take the white traveling Tyvek cover off, wash my car, and spend hours in their heated detailing bay alone as I wished, the very last thing I did before I drove away, was to quietly hand my Corvette Master Tech (who are my dealership is the only one who does 100% of every Corvette PDI), a $100 bill.
                      Another excellent reason to purchase from one of our forum dealers. They have a reputation to protect. They know well, that if they mess up the PDI, it will be all over the forum in a NY minute. This is the exact reason I went back to Mike Furman. To him, you are not just another sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Jljordann922 View Post
                        Would a PDI possibly include the request to drop the vehicle back down an inch or so if equipped with Z51? Is this something I'd have to do with a spanner wrench on my own afterwards?
                        That would not be included in the PDI. IMHO, it would be best to put at least 500mi on the car. Doing so will allow the suspension to settle to its natural ride height. Then, if you desire to lower it further, let the dealer's Corvette tech do it. That way, if anything gets messed up, it's on their shoulders. Remember the words of Smokey the Bear. "The suspension you save ........... May be your own !" ............ :hide:

Comment

That checklist is great, I usually create my own checklist and bring it with me, but I will add this information to mine as I see missing items from my template, thanks for posting.

Quick question, how do you handle these when doing the museum delivery? I was a bit nervous paying for a car (paperwork has to be completed before heading up to the museum) without doing my pre-walkthrough before all the paperwork was completed.
                          My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Some really good advice in this thread about some things I had never even considered thinking about.

I've always bought straight from the lot. The c8 is my first custom order.

So many details!

Comment

Originally posted by SubVet View Post
                              That checklist is great, I usually create my own checklist and bring it with me, but I will add this information to mine as I see missing items from my template, thanks for posting.

Quick question, how do you handle these when doing the museum delivery? I was a bit nervous paying for a car (paperwork has to be completed before heading up to the museum) without doing my pre-walkthrough before all the paperwork was completed.
                              You have a GM warranty, and just my example above, my courtesy delivery dealer had already filed a warranty claim to replace my hood liner. If there were damage to say your inside edge of your wheels caused by it being loaded on/off a transporter, that is something you/your PDI tech will identify at the PDI, again with a consequent remedy.

Please however, do not take my examples as predictive doom and gloom, just pointing out some rarities that have happened that we should beaware of, i.e., plan for the worst, but by doing so, it will turn out better than that.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X