MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

From a safety point of view blind spot monitoring should be included on the LT1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Show me a driver that NEVER began to change lanes with a car in the blind spot and I will show you a driver that will not benefit from blind spot warning tech. IMHO, the OP is spot on. Both of the current rides in our family have blind spot warning (BSW) and pre-collision braking. I never had the BSW until I purchased my ‘13 Audi S8. My wife’s car is a’17 Audi Q7. The BSW is a must have safety feature. Very glad my 3LT Blade Silver C8 will come equipped with BSW.
    Last edited by Gunz; 09-12-2019, 05:52 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      I wish they had a "safety package" where the video mirror, and BSM, maybe even the front cams, etc were a package you could add to 1LT, I totally get not needing them if you are doing a track car or don't want them, but would be nice to have the option. I am doing 2lt mainly because of my first allocation, video mirror and PDR, I will enjoy the other features but they were not must haves for me, now a days I tend to skip 5k option package up grades, hell for 5k I can but a whole other toy, or another parachute rig, but it is what it is this go round, I suspect there will be some option changes for 2021.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Gunz View Post
        Show me a driver that NEVER began to change lanes with a car in the blind spot and I will show you a driver that will not benefit from blind spot warning tech. IMHO, the OP is spot on. Both of the current rides in our family have blind spot warning (BSW) and pre-collision braking. I never had the BSW until I purchased my ‘13 Audi S8. My wife’s car is a’17 Audi Q7. The BSW is a must have safety feature. Very glad my 3LT Blade Silver C8 will come equipped with BDW.
        +1 for 3LT Blade Silver! What color interior? I'm going two tone blue. Just waiting for the convertible to be released so I can decide on that...

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Racer X View Post
          If you are whizzing past me on your bike with no helmet, you would be darn glad that my BSM was going to protect your craneum!
          Yes. I am glad you have bsm. Lol

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Pzilly View Post
            I suspect there will be some option changes for 2021.
            Pzilly, you hit that nail on the head. Wonder what ones they will be. For sure, two new colors. Any other guesses/probabilities?

            GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

            Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Racer X View Post
              I agree with the OP - sports car or not. It's safety equipment... why would you choose not to have it?? All that is machismo BS.. "I don't need no stinkin BSM on my sport car - hell no... oh and while ur at it, i don't need no stinkin rev match, i can do that myself too...." Hey why your at it, get rid of TCM and all the nannies... Have a bike come out of nowhere on you, or make a correction to avoid a collision and see what u think.
              Yes, it's safety equipment. But also, no, it's not free. If you're going to make BSM standard because "safety" then are you also going to make the rear view camera standard? Automatic lane keeping? Automatic emergency braking? GM's adaptive cruise control with driver attention monitoring? All enhance safety, all cost money. Do we want the 1LT to cost $70K instead of $60?

              Why would we choose not to have it? Money. Not all of us have unlimited budgets for a car. In fact, few of us do. The top selling C7 was a base model 1LT Stingray - the cheapest of all the Corvettes. Price does matter. And if money is no object, but a 2LT with BSM.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

              Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >33,000+ miles

              Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

              Comment


              • #22
                I am sure we can agree that BSM is a hugely beneficial "entry-level" safety addition. Using your logic, you would also abandon seat belts and air bags because of additional costs. Yes, it costs, there is also a cost-benefit ratio of each one.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Racer X View Post
                  I am sure we can agree that BSM is a hugely beneficial "entry-level" safety addition. Using your logic, you would also abandon seat belts and air bags because of additional costs. Yes, it costs, there is also a cost-benefit ratio of each one.
                  But where do you draw the line? I don't question the value of BSM at all. I also don't question the value of lane departure warning. It's easy to get distracted and drift. Every safety feature has value, and every one adds to cost. If I had to pick one feature from the 2LT to include in the 1LT it would be the rear view camera, not BSM. Given the very tiny rear window, I think the cost benefit ratio of that option is much better than BSM. Especially as it virtually eliminates blind spots.

                  Seat belts were once options, and lots of people didn't get them. Now they, along with airbags and ABS are required by regulation. And all of these requirements are part of the reason the average new car costs $35K, forcing many lower income people into used cars that are probably even less safe than a new car without ABS would be. Everything to add to the base price of the car prices someone out of the market for that car.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                  Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >33,000+ miles

                  Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I don't disagree, but you could also argue that if the tech is available and "reasonable" (open for discussion) then it should be included on every new car. Just like features such as air bags and anti-lock brakes were once only available on premium models. Costs could be leveraged by volume use.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I agree with you, but blind-spot monitoring is just a light in your side-view mirror. I believe even Zora would agree it should be at most a $500 option, it's still a Chevrolet, not a Lambo or Ferrari

                      The Lamborgini Performante can deliver a 0-60 mph time of just 2.9 seconds and has a top and blind-spot monitoring system.

                      Ferrari Takes Wraps Off New Entry-Level Portofino blind-spot monitoring systems has lower crash rates than the same vehicles without the systems.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Safety enhancements cost money. Some are required by federal regulations. Your are paying for seatbelts and airbags. BSM is a great safety enhancement ,no doubt , but your NOT paying for it with 1LT. Like mentioned you want a C8 for under 60K then it’s a compromise plain and simple. It’s all about what YOU choose to spend your money on.
                        Now the discussion of should BSM be offered ​​​​​​ or be standard on 1LT is a discussion which (imo) was already had at GM and they made a decision based on economics. It’s what every corporation in business does. Jmhoymmv.
                        2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                        1100 status 😊
                        2020 C8 Stingray 3LT Elkhart Lake Blue 2 tone Blue int.
                        3LT-GS7w/HTO,Z51,FE4,E60,Q8T,ZZ3,FA5,J6E,VQK,RWJ,ERI

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mike73229 View Post

                          +1 for 3LT Blade Silver! What color interior? I'm going two tone blue. Just waiting for the convertible to be released so I can decide on that...
                          Two-tone - natural & black. The C8 will be my 3rd silver Corvette. The convertible will be awesome, but I’ve always been a coupe driver. Enjoy.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by stryker1969 View Post
                            I agree with you, but blind-spot monitoring is just a light in your side-view mirror. I believe even Zora would agree it should be at most a $500 option, it's still a Chevrolet, not a Lambo or Ferrari

                            The Lamborgini Performante can deliver a 0-60 mph time of just 2.9 seconds and has a top and blind-spot monitoring system.

                            Ferrari Takes Wraps Off New Entry-Level Portofino blind-spot monitoring systems has lower crash rates than the same vehicles without the systems.
                            Funny, when I read this my first thought is that the rich kids can't be bothered with checking their six before changing lanes.

                            Fortunately, now they don't have to.

                            My second thought was that the Z51 C8 StingRay is as fast 0-60 as the Lamborgini Performante (base price $59,995 versus $281,048, respectively).

                            And we all know what that price difference is due to... yep, it's that fancy Lambo BSM system.
                            Last edited by Mobius; 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM.
                            Current Vettes:
                            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                            '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
                            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
                            "Delta t = 23"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Took forever for folks to accept the intrusive seat belt. Took years. Took decades. Personal freedoms, Infringments. They had a right to poke their foreheads through the windshields in accidents. Back in the day all the cars in the tow yards had head holes in the front windshields. You could look at the hair and flesh in the jagged windshield hole and determine the physical characteristics of the "artist". A redhead, a blond, a curly Fro. The canvases were foreheads. Abstract-expressionistic scarification.

                              The tribes of personal freedoms.
                              Last edited by SheepDog; 09-12-2019, 09:05 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

                                But where do you draw the line? I don't question the value of BSM at all. I also don't question the value of lane departure warning. It's easy to get distracted and drift. Every safety feature has value, and every one adds to cost. If I had to pick one feature from the 2LT to include in the 1LT it would be the rear view camera, not BSM. Given the very tiny rear window, I think the cost benefit ratio of that option is much better than BSM. Especially as it virtually eliminates blind spots.

                                Seat belts were once options, and lots of people didn't get them. Now they, along with airbags and ABS are required by regulation. And all of these requirements are part of the reason the average new car costs $35K, forcing many lower income people into used cars that are probably even less safe than a new car without ABS would be. Everything to add to the base price of the car prices someone out of the market for that car.
                                Maybe your best post Meyerweb. Agree 100%

                                Comment

                                MECF_728x90_bottom

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X