Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Coupe vs Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe vs Convertible

Trying to decide which to buy. This forum is the best place to gather information and opinions. So what are your thoughts? How did you make your decision? If you have. Pros and cons of each.

Knowledge will make this decision easier, or harder, or .........flip a coin!
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

If you are comsidering the vert...id be on both lists...its pretty hot...and if you ordered late on the coupe..being early on the vert list could in fact get you a c8 quicker...

from a looks perspective the vert...i think....

those nacelles are hot...

from a residual standpoint i think the vert will residualize better.

if hou are going to flip for a z06 or grand sport...

i think the vert is the better play.

the ferrari rear mid engine RHT s do tend to sell in greater percentages although its only 53 percent versus 47 percent in the united states ...

still thats quite a dramatic shift from the canvas corvettes sales percentage...

we are not buying from the same dealers so it doesnt affect me which you choose...

that said...id suggest no need for thousands in oem engine compartment carbon fiber or engine bay lighting...

id give up a few exterior dress items that could be purchased later on in the aftermarket for less to free up cash for the cost of the vert...if cost became an issue.

i really believe the RHT will be the smarter play than say engine compartment carbon or exterior doo dads....maybe even z51 fe4 ...

forgetting about the BS about money...I think the star player will opt for the vert...

its so dam sexy with the top down (at a push of a button...

i like lifting the targa off...but a lot of guys with bad backs dont...(or older gentleman, or really hot girls ...hehehe

i think it tales a special kind of wife to prefer convertibles...

they dont like their hair messed up that occurs with the top down...

so the moral of the story is...get the vert if the girl in your life will cruise at least around town with the top down....

athough the retractable roof option does allow for the roof to be up in a heartbeat with hour favorite girl....your wife of course...

i know I couldnt sell my wife on going to dinner with the roof off...thats for sure.heheh

Last edited by JB; 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM.
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Comment

Not so easy for many as we do not of course have the final HT’s appearance, nor its pricing. What if it is $11,995 and includes as mandatory the 2LT interior — for most exotics bundle and required items which are optional coupe options as standard on their HT’s.

As you asked and if you are on the fence, I would even pull back your coupe order if it is going in day after tomorrow and wait and learn before a decision were made.

In my case, the decision is easy, we are a “coupe” family. But made so, SO much easier seeing the engine though the rear glass in all its beauty. However, and now flipping the argument, what if one were to have wrist, arm, shoulder or strength issues, so that even the roughly 15 pounds of the coupe’s roof were not possible to remove and store, than no brained, and if so get the HT.

Allow me pleasure to suggest something I always used and always been helpful for me. Though “corny,” when I am having trouble choosing between two colors, or in this case a coupe or a HT, I picture myself coming out of a restaurant after lunch, and there are the two choices in front of me, and I only get to choose one, which one would I want to have be mine? Again corny, but that works well for me. It’s exactly how in the end I chose Elkhart Lake Blue, the high wing, the HTO interior and other choices for our C8.

Doubt any of this has helped, and so I wish you good luck!!! And hope others’ posts below are useful to you.
      GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Two excellent posts in answer to Meldoon's dilemma. Wow.
        What a great quandary we are in !
        Good times.
        Last edited by Dumbell2; 09-10-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I'm a convertible fan, but my thoughts on the question:

Until I see the 'vert in person, I'm only guessing, but I think it may actually look better than the coupe.
          The ease of raising and lowering the top means you'll put it down a lot more often, I'd never bother to remove and replace the targa for the 15 minute drive to the gym, but I put the top down for that drive almost every time. And if it starts to rain while the car is open, way, way easier to button things back up on the 'vert.
          You don't lose the use of most of the rear trunk when you store the top, like you do in the coupe.
          You're not tempted to spend $2,000 for some carbon fiber and 2 LED lights in the engine compartment.
          You don't need to spend as much time cleaning the engine compartment.
          A targa just doesn't provide the same "in the wind" feeling of a 'vert, especially with that piece of thick glass right behind your head.

For me, being able to see the engine is unimportant. For others, it's very important. You?
          Last edited by meyerweb; 09-10-2019, 05:02 PM.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I've never cared for the turbulence and buffeting of open air cars, but if you like that, the vert looks really nice. As a side note, Tadge said the C8 with targa top removed has much less buffeting than the C7 had.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              I've never cared for the turbulence and buffeting of open air cars, but if you like that, the vert looks really nice. As a side note, Tadge said the C8 with targa top removed has much less buffeting than the C7 had.
              Hard top spiders have far less buffeting and some dont have any at all. The buttresses/nacelles do a great job at redirecting the air and keeping it from rolling back into the passenger compartment.

Comment

Its only a real convertible if your cap can blow off the top of your head at speed.

I sometimes go on a drive from one location to another, a 200 to 300 mile drive, five or six hours. And carrying cargo or luggage.

I may want to go open air for part of the trip, but not the entire five or six hours. And there could be a rain shower along the way.

Clearly, with the retractable hard top, going from open air to enclosed and back involves pushing a button. And if I am going open air, I have no roof panel to remove and stow. I can imagine one person fumbling with it in a sudden downpour.

So, but for the additional price to the Piper for the HTC, the choice is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                  Obviously can't compare the C8 yet, but the C7 'vert with the top down has dramatically less noise and buffeting than the C7 coupe with the top off. But with that solid wall behind the driver, I would expect a lot less turbulence in the C8.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Really good stuff guys!
                    Thanks for sharing!
                    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

Comment

My plan is to get a Coupe as soon as I can. Trade it in on a HT Convertible as soon as I can and then when the Z06 comes out make an informed descision based on personal experience and preference.

Comment

I am conflicted about whether to change my order.

PROS
                        open the top with the press of a button. No wrestling with the Targa Top and trying to stuff it in the trunk.
                        The nascelles look awesome
                        the car looks even more like a Ferrari

CONS
                        it will cost a lot more
                        ​​​​​​​ how often would I actually have the top down? Wife doesn't like the wind
                        I know I would put the top up on the highway, it's just too noisy

Comment

Tough decision... I do agree that resale will be better than the coupe, and being HT, I personally believe it (resale) will be better than the soft top predecessors. If that rear window behind the driver can be lowered with the top still up, that’s enough for me to pony up $7-9k extra for the vert. Trust me, that feature is worth it to hear the engine so much better, rain or shine

Comment

Both! That's the right answer. I had been thinking both for a while now. I have made the decision to get the Base Stingray and get on a list for the Z06 Vert in the hopefully near future. I will be keeping the 2020 for my Daily Driver. The Z06 Vert will likely be a garage queen.
                            Rocket City Florida

Comment

excellent discussion and for those interested my 20 year acquaintance/ friend who is a diehard convertible gentleman was at the corvette club meeting tonight and while he had a targa on order after our last discussion he decided to get the convertible model..

after we spoke a week or so ago i suggested he skip the targa c8 and just order a convertible since its barely any longer to get and money for this gentleman is not really an issue...

he had a c8 targa npp 1LT on order...

he is all smiles tonight and a wonderful human being. Always over the 20 years this gentleman was always kind to my handicapped son and I as we visited some of their events.

for me that goes a long way.

Im glad he made the right choice for him..

and thats really the key...these forums are about discussion to just get as much possible information out to members to make the right choice to themselves to decide on.

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X