Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

"Frunk" operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Frunk" operation

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time and I hope I am), but after seeing a few videos of the frunk closing operation, it doesn't appear to be a soft close. The rear hatch definitely is, but I'm not sure about the front. Sorry I neglected to check it out at Corvettes at Carlisle but didn't think about it until I was home.

If it doesn't.... I really think the designers missed something here.

Like I said.... I hope I am wrong.... because soft close is the way to go and is very cool!

Thanks.
    Mark JD
    Venice, Florida

2019 Grand Sport Convertible, 3LT, Blade Silver with Adrenaline Red interior. Delivery date: 12/12/2018
    Our other ride: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Red Horizon Tintcoat

Agreed.....even nicer on doors!
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

Comment

I watched a couple of frunks being closed at NCM‘s 25th, and all of them were done manually.
      GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Thanks John.
        Wonder why they skimped on something so simple? Would be nice not to have our grimy finger prints all over the frunk.... and like Meldoon says above... doors would be nice as well.

a friend has a Beemer with the soft door closures and they sure are sweet!
        Mark JD
        Venice, Florida

2019 Grand Sport Convertible, 3LT, Blade Silver with Adrenaline Red interior. Delivery date: 12/12/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Mark JD View Post
          Thanks John.
          Wonder why they skimped on something so simple? Would be nice not to have our grimy finger prints all over the frunk.... and like Meldoon says above... doors would be nice as well.

a friend has a Beemer with the soft door closures and they sure are sweet!
          not only did they skimp on the soft close frunk, they also didn't put a redundant latch in case the lock were to fail. Just because there is no engine in there doesn't mean I want the frunk opening up and blocking the windshield. I always assumed the secondary latch on hoods/frunks was mandatory. Another side note, the frunk is kinda hard to close and I felt like I may dent it pushing down so hard to get it to close.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

not only did they skimp on the soft close frunk, they also didn't put a redundant latch in case the lock were to fail. Just because there is no engine in there doesn't mean I want the frunk opening up and blocking the windshield. I always assumed the secondary latch on hoods/frunks was mandatory. Another side note, the frunk is kinda hard to close and I felt like I may dent it pushing down so hard to get it to close.
            I've wondered about that, too. Prior Corvettes with hood hinged at the front didn't need a second latch, but every other car on the road with the front opening hood seems to have a double latch.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

There is a legal requirement for a second latch...

CFR § 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
              S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.
              S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.
              S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.
              S4. Requirements.
              S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.
              S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.​

Comment

CaryBob and Tomdom.....
                Those are very interesting posts that you provided. Sounds like you had a chance to close one yourself... very interesting take.
                And that S4.2 requirement really blows me away!
                How did Chevy pull that off?

I hope someone at GM or Corvette takes a close look at this post and makes the necessary changes before actual production starts. Doesn't sound like it would create too much of a delay, just might bring that starting MRSP to just over 60K!
                Mark JD
                Venice, Florida

Comment

I believe they are using a double catch system now. It has both latches built into a single mechanism (possibly requiring 2 actions to release). Some GM hood releases now have to have the handle or button activated twice to get the hood open. I am speculating on the mechanism, but I highly doubt the design team would miss a required safety feature that is called out in a standard as the design file would have all the standards/regulations listed that they must comply with. I've been in Design and QA for almost 30 years in Telecommunications, Automotive and Medical Device and the teams are pretty good with meeting regulatory and standards requirements.

Again just speculating...
                  My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Thanks SubVet.... good info and hope you are right.

But still can't figure out the reason why they didn't do a soft-close. They added it to the truck on the C7's a year after the '14's came out. They may have to do the same with the C8's.
                    Mark JD
                    Venice, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Mark JD View Post
                      Thanks SubVet.... good info and hope you are right.

But still can't figure out the reason why they didn't do a soft-close. They added it to the truck on the C7's a year after the '14's came out. They may have to do the same with the C8's.
                      I am not sure on that one and would be interested to learn why as well. I would imagine its a combination of cost, weight and other factors.
                      My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

My C7 'vert has no power trunk closer. It doesn't take very much force to close, and it's really not an issue at all. I close it with the palm of my hand and get no fingerprints on it. If I've polished it up super nice and am showing it off, I'll use a handkerchief or small microfiber towel to avoid touching it with my hand. I'm not the least bit concerned about closing the frunk.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

Another side note, the frunk is kinda hard to close and I felt like I may dent it pushing down so hard to get it to close.
                          Don't worry, being plastic I doubt if you will dent it.
                          Might leave a few fingerprints though

3LT AYM. Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #242 on MacMulkin's list.

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post
                            Don't worry, being plastic I doubt if you will dent it.
                            Might leave a few fingerprints though
                            Plastic? It’s made of “float” Sheet Molding Composite which is a fiberglass reinforced polyester with resin. Polyester is a polymer that plastic is derived from. No the hood is not plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

Plastic? It’s made of “float” Sheet Molding Composite which is a fiberglass reinforced polyester with resin. Polyester is a polymer that plastic is derived from. No the hood is not plastic.
                              I knew that, but it was a lot easier to say plastic!!
                              3LT AYM. Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #242 on MacMulkin's list.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X