Fish Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Stories

Are the full length body strips applied first at BG followed by the goldfish rear hatch ? As opposed to being cut to fit around said goldfish ?
    2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

I'm sure the experts will know better, but if I had to guess, I would think that the striping would go on first and they would then apply the fish. This is based entirely on no experience with any factory installed striping.

Comment

^^^^^ Makes sense.

I have seen some aftermarket stripes that are "cut" around the emblems - the factory installed stripes look cleaner, IMHO, although for the C8 GM has reduced the number of stripe color options... which is odd given the new level of customization generally available for the C8.
      Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust
      Upcoming Vette:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Comment

Visually imagining the process employed in building a C7 with OEM stripes (though we have not confirmation that they will do this identically for the C8):

Car goes down the line identically to a car that does not get stripes — that is until the first station where “Corvette” letters, or emblems that would be “covered” by the stripes is concerned. Those emblems/letters are not placed on a car that is getting stripes — nor would the Stingray rear deck component.

The stripes are not installed during the assembly line, so when the car comes off the line, it is finished minus its stripes not being on it and minus its letters and emblems (again still set aside).

The car would then leave the main assembly building and be driven a few hundreds yards to a dedicated small building where they first put on the stripes and second put on the emblems/letters, and similarly then would also add the “Stingray”.

Possible changes to the C8 process include since the plant has been majorly reorganized and now has more space within it, I am thinking to avoid the transport to a second building for stripe/emblem/letter addition, all would be done within the main BGA building. However, consistent with the C7 process, stripes will not be put on during its assembly line construction, but in a separate area within the building, and also consistent is that the emblems, letters and Stingray emblem would be added last.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
          I'm sure the experts will know better, but if I had to guess, I would think that the striping would go on first and they would then apply the fish. This is based entirely on no experience with any factory installed striping.
          That still scares me either way. With my luck, I'd end up with the adhesive on the back side of the Stingray emblem lifting the striping when I peel it off.
          2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyTX View Post

That still scares me either way. With my luck, I'd end up with the adhesive on the back side of the Stingray emblem lifting the striping when I peel it off.
            Yep, that would suck. See if Mike knows what they do or have them remove it for you That way if it does this, they would be obligated to reapply the stripe. Seems to me there should be a fish delete option, especially for those getting stripes.

Speaking of options, I didn't see the White/Black Fuzzy Hanging Mirror Dice on the build sheet If it interferes with your rear view in any way it could be called the Countach Option.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post

Yep, that would suck. See if Mike knows what they do or have them remove it for you That way if it does this, they would be obligated to reapply the stripe. Seems to me there should be a fish delete option, especially for those getting stripes.

Speaking of options, I didn't see the White/Black Fuzzy Hanging Mirror Dice on the build sheet If it interferes with your rear view in any way it could be called the Countach Option.
              lol, better the dice than that travesty of a cruise control on the Tesla ..............

Comment

FWIW, I thought the fish on the rear deck looked a lot better in person than it does in pictures. Still not my favorite part of the design, but I think I would be OK with leaving it on.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Not a big fan of the trunk fish...

no fish needed

In person all I kept saying is why is that on the car.

should be an option to remove before delivery.

same for lettering and front badge...

but not a big deal ...

since its not Id suggest passing on the stripes from gm.

just have a shop add tape or peal able paint for a stripe

jmo
                  Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Ehhhhhhh ........ I want BG doing the stripes. That way I have btb coverage against defects, etc. My assigned service writer at my servicing dealer is super great to work with when it comes to warranty claims. So is their service manager. Bothered are avowed gear heads. Something not found often. The nearest certified Corvette servicing dealer to me is only 15 miles away as opposed to the 45 some miles to where I take the car. Well worth it IMHO for the attention to detail my Corvette gets when I roll up the service drive. Either my advisor drives the Vette back into the service dept or, my assigned tech will come out to the check in Lane and drive the car back himself ! Neither will allow any of the lot jockeys to touch it. Yes ......

Comment

Sounds good.

good luck im sure it will come out great.
                      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X