Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #109 - Corvette News & Headlines, Mid-May 2022

Join your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com and they discuss what’s happening with America’s Sports Car. https://youtu.be/LY-bD8tscBs; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...HXCQFbRpXxWPtK
1. Hard Top Convertibles now account for 48% of Corvette orders
2. Here are the most popular Corvette colors of 2022
3. 70th anniversary models delayed because of wheel constraints
4. Export versions of the C8 Z06 with corner mounted exhaust will be exported
5. The 2023 Stingray/Z06 Owner’s Manual available for download
6. The 2023 C8 Z06 is the official Pace Car for the Indianapolis 500
7. Corvette Racing’s drivers take a C8 Stingray on the track at Spring Mountain
8. Corvette Hall Of Fame inductees announced
9. Corvette is the AutoCar 2022 Dream Car of the Year

CORVETTE TODAY is the best way to stay current on what’s happening with Corvette! Don’t miss this episode…..

LISTEN TO THE PODCAST, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP AT:

www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Description of Upcoming C8 Vehicle Technology Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Description of Upcoming C8 Vehicle Technology Enhancements

More customization of our in car use as announced today in this GM press release. However, not totally clear to me is whether these 2021 enhancements, would be retroactively, OTA, be able to become part of our 2020 Stingrays?

Anyone?

Originally posted by media.GM
    General Motors’ New In-Vehicle Technology Strengthens Connectivity Leadership and Enhances Customer Experience

Integration of Google’s Voice Assistant, Navigation and App Ecosystem to Launch in GM Infotainment Systems in 2021

Click image for larger version  Name:	524BCAFB-1201-4716-A686-3D0F9E178E3D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	68055

2019-09-05

DETROIT – Building on nearly 25 years of connectivity leadership, General Motors today announced plans to introduce new in-vehicle technology that will enhance the overall customer experience and make it easier than ever for customers to bring their digital lives into future connected vehicles.

GM’s research1 shows that many customers prefer an embedded technology experience in the vehicle, and increasingly expect seamless integration between the tech in their hands and the tech in their vehicle. Listening to customer feedback, GM will work with Google to bring new options for a voice assistant, embedded navigation and in-vehicle applications to compatible Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles in regions around the world beginning in 2021. Broad deployment across all GM vehicle brands is expected to roll out in the years following.

“We are re-envisioning the future in-vehicle customer experience, and this is just the first step. The integration of select Google technology and services into our vehicle infotainment systems will foster a more connected and efficient driving experience,” said Santiago Chamorro, vice president for Global Connected Customer Experience, GM. “We will continue to offer our own unique infotainment features that only GM can deliver, such as service recommendations, vehicle health status, in-vehicle commerce and more, with the Google applications and services complementing our offerings.”

Future GM infotainment systems will continue to be powered by Android, which enables GM to bring familiar and enhanced experiences from Google to the vehicle:
    • Voice Assistant: With the built-in Google Assistant, drivers can make the most of their time in the vehicle and easily get things done hands-free using just their voice. Drivers can use the Assistant to make calls or text a friend, play a favorite radio station or podcast, close the garage door (requires compatible smart home devices) or even change the temperature in the vehicle, all while keeping their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

The Assistant integration will continue to evolve over time, so that drivers in the future will be able to simply use their voice to engage with their vehicle, which could include renewing their OnStar or Connected Services plans, checking on their tire pressure, scheduling service and more.
    • Embedded Navigation: Google Maps2 in the vehicle is constantly up-to-date and helps drivers navigate with real-time traffic information, automatic re-routing and lane guidance. With the Assistant, drivers can use voice to navigate home, share their ETA, find the nearest gas station and EV charging stations (based on availability) or ask about a store’s hours without needing a phone.
    • In-Vehicle Applications: The Google Play Store lets drivers find their favorite apps and services designed specifically for in-vehicle use. Drivers can listen to the same albums, podcasts and audiobooks in the vehicle as at home and stay connected with their most important contacts on communication apps.

“GM is a trailblazer with Android in automotive and a leader in vehicle connectivity,” said Patrick Brady, vice president of Engineering, Google. “We’re incredibly excited to work with them to transform the way people consume media, stay in touch, navigate and access information on the go.”
    https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...echnology.html
    Z07 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available including the wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Looks like it will be an entirely new system in model year 2022. So I'm guessing no joy for us 2020 adopters. With any luck an OTA may include some of the functions since the 2020 system is currently Android based. Just a guess on my part.

From CNBC

"Officials said discussions between the two sides began years ago, when GM was one of the first automakers to have its infotainment system on an Android operating system in 2017 model-year vehicles. Talks to expand the partnership, officials said, began about a year ago.

The new partnership will include an entirely new system for GM infotainment systems beginning for the 2022 model-year, which generally begin to hit car lots the year before. The new system, as GM's is today, will be capable of over-the-air updates."
    Last edited by Prince; 09-05-2019, 10:20 AM.
    Rapid Blue/Jet Black 1LT, Z51, carbon flash open spoke wheels w/yellow calipers, competition seats w/blue seatbelts

Comment

Android Auto already has the Google Assistant feature, which is very convenient, and the C8 comes with Android Auto and Apple Car Play as standard features.

Things I do regularly with AA and GA:

Weather forecast
      Ask GA: What's the weather this weekend in City/State?

Math
      Ask GA: What's 354/12.89? (for MPG, in this example)

Music
      Ask GA: Play <song>, or Play <artist>, or Play <album>

Many general questions can also be asked, and GA will search the web and give you a voice response if it can find an answer.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...efficient.html
      My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Tadge stated (in video Q&A from PA) When asked about the ability to update nav was it via disk or? he said the technical architecture was cutting edge and new to all GM and the C8 was first to have it , adding software systems (plural) would have the ability for wireless updates to nav and all software installed.
        2023 Z06 #5 locality and smiling
        2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe
        “Cindyblue”
        6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
        2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
        2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

The real question is whether the new system is hardware or software. That will be the determining factor if the 2020 is able to be upgraded.

Reminds me of Ford's switch from My Ford Touch to Sync3. It required new hardware. Many of us performed the surgery and did the required programming. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_143826.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	68092
          Rapid Blue/Jet Black 1LT, Z51, carbon flash open spoke wheels w/yellow calipers, competition seats w/blue seatbelts

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
            Android Auto already has the Google Assistant feature, which is very convenient, and the C8 comes with Android Auto and Apple Car Play as standard features.
            I think the distinction is that AA uses your phone for those functions, and your phone needs to be connected. With it built into the car, it won't be using your phone, and you won't need to plug in to make use of it.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I suspect that would require a subscription to the GM WiFi....
              2021 SGM Z51 3LT Coupe
              2016 Z06/Z07 A8 NRB/Kalahari
              1969 Corvette Coupe Gold/Tan
              1967 Pontiac GTO
              2007 Saturn Sky

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I think the distinction is that AA uses your phone for those functions, and your phone needs to be connected. With it built into the car, it won't be using your phone, and you won't need to plug in to make use of it.
                Yes, I thought about that and although the article didn't mention it, I assume this will be an additional subscription service (since, like Onstar, it uses cellular service).

I'll stick with Android Auto.
                My C8:
                '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by 69385vette View Post
                  You beat me to it (by 1 minute).
                  My C8:

Current Vettes:

Comment

Just another "toy" to add to the growing list of things to distract drivers from what they need to be paying attention to -- the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

Yes, I thought about that and although the article didn't mention it, I assume this will be an additional subscription service (since, like Onstar, it uses cellular service).

I'll stick with Android Auto.
                      I was thinking the same thing. But if GM is going all in on Android, maybe they'll bundle the service in the cost of the car. They're already maintaining a connection for over the air updates.

But I suspect you're right, and if so Android Auto will wotk for me, too.
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                        They're already maintaining a connection for over the air updates.
                        Hmm, I was thinking the over the air updates would be a function utilized by the GM techs working on the car, rather than a cable connection to download software updates...
                        My C8:

Current Vettes:

Comment

Guess we don't really know. Tesla applies OTA updates directly to the car, without having to take it in to a shop. In smartphones, OTA updates happen without intervention from any service personnel. I interprete GM's capability the same way. If you have to take it in to a dealer, there's no real advantage to doing it OTA vs. plugging in a cable.

Tadge did say, at NCM, that map updates would still be via an SD card, but map databases are a LOT of data if they're replacing the entire dataset, rather than just applying updates the way Google Maps does. He also said that the OTA capability would give GM the ability to update older cars with some of the new features added in later years.

Comment

Originally posted by V1 VR View Post
                            Tadge stated (in video Q&A from PA) When asked about the ability to update nav was it via disk or? he said the technical architecture was cutting edge and new to all GM and the C8 was first to have it , adding software systems (plural) would have the ability for wireless updates to nav and all software installed.
                            I think he was saying the traffic data would be updated wirelessly but that the actual nav maps would need to be updated via an SD card at the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by 69385vette View Post
                              I think the C8 will probably be similar to my cars that have a built in wireless hotspots:

Audi: There is a wireless SIM card in the dash. It requires monthly subscription to Audi Connect wireless service via T-Mobile. This allows the car to access Google earth map images and have wireless connectivity with the phone app and in-car WiFi data hotpot for passengers. I also am paying an extra monthly fee for NavTraffic data provided by SiriusXM for the navi system.

Jaguar: There is a wireless SIM card in the center console. It requires a monthly subscription to Jaguar InControl wireless service via AT&T. This also allows the same as the Audi features above but also receives traffic data without having to pay for SiriusXM. It also provides an in-car WiFi hotspot for passengers.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X