Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Uh oh, problems brewing with supply of LT2 engine blocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what the impact is on the domestic content percentage, by having engine blocks made in either Canada or Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
      Hmm, if they delay production of LT2s, I guess I can settle for an LT4 - it should bolt-up to the Tremec DCT.
      Yeah, but the block won't have the right mounting points to fit the mid-engine frame, I suspect.

Should all be worked out by the time I purchase a 2021.
      Last edited by meyerweb; 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cadle View Post
        I can,t believe GM is not on top of this and have built a surplus inventory
        Actually, every auto maker practices just-in-time delivery now. Inventories cost money. If the supply of a component dries up, production of cars requiring that component stops very shortly thereafter. And given that they aren't even close to SORP (start of regular production), the likelihood they've stockpiled anything is between slim and none.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
          Wonder what the impact is on the domestic content percentage, by having engine blocks made in either Canada or Mexico.
          Canadian parts, I'm pretty sure, count as domestic content. I don't think Mexican parts do. But given that the block is just one of many thousands of parts, the percentage impact should be very small.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >33,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post

Of course it will be worked out, but in what time frame. To me, that would be the question. My biggest problem is worrying about when to change the litter in the cat box 🍺🍺
            Better sooner than later in both cases! 😎
            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

Comment

Had something similar happen when I ordered my 5th Gen Camaro in May 2009. Days later GM filed for bankruptcy. Still had the car by July of '09.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Yeah, but the block won't have the right mounting points to fit the mid-engine frame, I suspect.
                You're the rain on my parade...

Ok, I guess I'll need to settle for an LT7...
                Current Vettes:
                '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
                '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust
                Upcoming Vette:
                '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 two-tone seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Comment

We sure about the Windsor plant making the LT2? I thought the LT2 was gonna be made in Tonawanda, NY. What happened to that?

From Motor1.com dated July 24,2019:

The 6.2-liter V8 will join the production line alongside other GM engines.

Now that Chevy has pulled the cover off the 2020 Corvette Stingray, more minute details are continuing to trickle out of the Detroit automaker. The latest from the company is that it will build the Stingray’s 6.2-liter LT2 V8 engine at its Tonawanda, New York engine plant. The LT2 will join a variety of other GM engines at the facility. The engine will then head to GM’s Bowling Green, Kentucky factory where the company will assemble the C8 Corvette Stingray. Production is scheduled to begin later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                    We sure about the Windsor plant making the LT2? I thought the LT2 was gonna be made in Tonawanda, NY. What happened to that?
                    I think the distinction is that Windsor is (maybe) making the aluminum blocks, and Tonawanda is assembly the engine using those blocks. But I certainly don't claim any inside information.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >33,000+ miles

Comment

Actually, every auto maker practices just-in-time delivery now. Inventories cost money. If the supply of a component dries up, production of cars requiring that component stops very shortly thereafter. And given that they aren't even close to SORP (start of regular production), the likelihood they've stockpiled anything is between slim and none.
                      Now we really know what the words. “ order constraints” mean

Comment

Sounds like a big “order constraint” to me.

Comment

Those who are ording their cars without engines will move rapidly up the production queue.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >33,000+ miles

Comment

I think the distinction is that Windsor is (maybe) making the aluminum blocks, and Tonawanda is assembly the engine using those blocks. But I certainly don't claim any inside information.
                            In addition to the union contract, I wonder if Nemak goes thru with closure of the Windsor engine block plant in 2020 it would also be a breach of its production contracts with GM. I would think if it adversely affects Nemak's ability to produce the agreed upon blocks, it would. GM could sue them for "specific performance" or damages. Don't think GM will stand by and let that happen.
                            Last edited by Boomer; 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

The last time the uaw went on strike...it was two days and back to work...

the towanda NY plant can pick up the slack on the engine blocks.

i had read that as well.

i believe the unions should settle for greater profit sharing for the workers if gm does well...

thats a fair increase...

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                the towanda NY plant can pick up the slack on the engine blocks.

i had read that as well.
                                Thats good news. Maybe GM can say something about any impact this might have on C8 production.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X