Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Patent- Chevy Bow Tie Rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patent- Chevy Bow Tie Rotor

Motor 1
    https://www.motor1.com/news/368226/c...-rotor-bowtie/

Text below: Chevy Brake Rotor Patent Is Packed With Bow Ties

By: Chris Okula Chevy's patent reveals the strangest brake rotors we've seen.

In a recent patent filing, Chevrolet revealed their plan to create branded brake rotors with Chevy’s Bowtie Logo cut into the rotor’s surface. This interesting branding exercise has many of us asking why?

In today’s market, you can buy drilled, slotted, and even a brake rotor with a combo of the two, but you cannot buy branded brake rotors. Chevrolet saw this lack of branded brake rotors as an opportunity to innovate and create something completely new.

Chevy's patent filing specifically calls out the need to have a brake rotor with a decorative insert. The patent goes on to further callout that the decorative insert should not compromise the performance of the brake rotor or increase the production cost. Chevy's Bowtie Brake Rotors

chevrolet-brake-patent-1-1567184835
    2 Photos
    chevrolet-brake-patent-1-1567184835 chevrolet-brake-patent-2-1567185951
    This attempt to take branding to a new level is far from a new tactic. Putting Chevy’s logo on brake rotors is an easy way to get owners to purchase replacement brakes directly from Chevy instead of buying an aftermarket example without the bowtie.

Branding like this means that at the next Corvette meet you’ll be able to tell who’s getting their brakes from Chevy and who are buying cheap rotors online. When a wear item like this is branded you’re more likely to go to a dealership for service meaning a long term revenue source for Chevy.As of right now, we’re not sure when Chevy’s Bowtie brake rotors will make their official production debut but we expect them to appear on enthusiast vehicles first like the Corvette and Camaro. After gaining traction among Chevy faithful we’d expect to see them trickle down to more mainstream models as an optional extra.

Although nobody asked for them, brake rotors with Chevy Bowtie cut-outs are on their way. This new rotor design is sure to be a polarizing feature among the Chevy faithful, however, if sales go well expect other manufacturers to follow suit.

Originally posted by MReid View Post
    This attempt to take branding to a new level is far from a new tactic. Putting Chevy’s logo on brake rotors is an easy way to get owners to purchase replacement brakes directly from Chevy instead of buying an aftermarket example without the bowtie. Branding like this means that at the next Corvette meet you’ll be able to tell who’s getting their brakes from Chevy and who are buying cheap rotors online.
    If they're really worried about cheap parts bought online, do they actually believe that a patent is going to stop it? Not a chance. Companies will spring up and create them, shutting down if there's too much heat and and opening the next block over under a different name. Look at all the fakes that are already being made.

If a consumer's primary motive when replacing brakes is to minimize cost, do you think they'll care if they have a Chevy logo on them or not? Sales of "no-name" products in various market segments says otherwise.

Seems more like a tactic to keep enthusiasts from buying Brembo or other "big brake kits" in favor of their car's brand. But part of the appeal of those special kits is that they aren't the usual GM stuff.
    Last edited by Klinn; 09-03-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Cheap rotors online? Or better ones?
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

They're going to cut that into cast iron? Unless treated, those bowties are going to develop rust. (I'm assuming by the shading in the picture that it's not cut all the way through but recessed)
        GMO Rapid Blue, EFY Body-Color Accents, Z51 Performance Package, FE4 Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension, 1LT Trim, HTA Jet Black Interior, 3A9 Tension Blue Seat Belt, Q8S Sterling Silver Trident Wheels, J6F Bright Red Calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream View Post
          They're going to cut that into cast iron? Unless treated, those bowties are going to develop rust. (I'm assuming by the shading in the picture that it's not cut all the way through but recessed)
          Do the slots on C7 Z51 rotors go all the way through the disk?
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

I'm fine with regular rotors, or the cross drilled ones, but thought this was an interesting development.

Comment

I don’t buy it. That bow tie is way too big to be practical. Also I think GM went with smooth rotors because if environmental concerns over Cu.

Comment

No Bow Ties on the C8 rotors but I did notice balance cuts in all four of my rotors this morning .
                Click image for larger version

Name:	D250EF4A-6FEC-46B6-B0DD-9AB64CA370EF.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	166209Click image for larger version

Name:	87447F67-FD92-46DE-B9B5-FB601E8A721D.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	166211
                Attached Files

Comment

I'd rather Slotted and Drilled
                  1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                  2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
                  Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
                  Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                    I'd rather Slotted and Drilled
                    There's apparently something related to newly require brake pad material that precluded slotted rotors. Drilled rotors, though, are prone to cracking, so probably best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

There's apparently something related to newly require brake pad material that precluded slotted rotors. Drilled rotors, though, are prone to cracking, so probably best avoided.
                      I've heard that also, but I've had my Zinc Plated Slotted/Drilled Rotors for more than Ten years
                      1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                      2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
                      Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
                      Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

Originally posted by Hangarnc View Post
                        No Bow Ties on the C8 rotors but I did notice balance cuts in all four of my rotors this morning .
                        Cool. If I saw those I wouldn't have known what they were, so thanks for posting the pics. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I've heard this for years and put it down to old wives tales. I've always had drilled rotors, some with slots also, and never had any cracks.

This included track driving hard enough to have smoke coming from the wheel wells.

Technically speaking I did manage to crack a pair of front Audi rotors but they weren't drilled or slotted. We were two couples driving in the alps and after some downhill hairpins the poor Audi sedan had brake fade. So we stopped and the two males pee'd on them to cool them down! Yes, we were young and dumb!

Predictably they cracked but did fine with the drive home. I had one bead blasted and mounted on my garage wall as a memento of that fun trip.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X