Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 10/11: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

The final word on whether to z51 or not from Tadge Juechter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tadge is saying what he must say. If he were to say, in so many words, "get the Z51 because the base suspension sucks," then it creates the impression that they intentionally gimped the $59,995K base car to force buyers to upgrade to an FE4 suspension, and the story becomes "Tadge says you have to spend $67K to get a real Corvette!"

Honestly I think the decision on the FE4 suspension rests upon the roads in one's area. If 90% of your driving is on suburban roads in disrepair then the base Stingray is probably best, though if I drove on such roads I'd skip the Corvette entirely and buy a CT5 Blackwing in a few years.

I live in a rural area with wonderfully twisty roads in reasonably good condition, so I'll get the Z51 with FE4 MRC suspension.

Comment

I too will get the Z51 option. I like the spoiler, spliter, bigger brakes and so on. I think it a good deal at $5,000.
      Last edited by WoW Factor; 09-02-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I’m definitely going Z51 but added the mag shock option today. Didn’t realize the base Z51 was non adjustable. Glad I asked before order was firm.

Comment

One more consideration regarding the increased cooling capability of the Z51. Others like myself who have gotten caught in heavy traffic on hot days, probably noticed that the AC would put out warm air until traffic sped up again. I brought my 15' C7 with Z51 back to Chevy service several times about this and each time they modified some (software?) parameters that were supposed to solve the problem. There was some improvement but the problem never went away completely. I would think that with the increased cooling capacity of the C8 Z51, that this should no longer be a problem and is another reason for my selection. Someone please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.
          Black/ Natural (GBA/ HUV) Z51, 2LT, FE4, E60, NPP, Q8Q, VQK,....TPW: now "12/27/19", a short week?

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
            Tadge is saying what he must say. If he were to say, in so many words, "get the Z51 because the base suspension sucks," then it creates the impression that they intentionally gimped the $59,995K base car to force buyers to upgrade to an FE4 suspension, and the story becomes "Tadge says you have to spend $67K to get a real Corvette!"

Honestly I think the decision on the FE4 suspension rests upon the roads in one's area. If 90% of your driving is on suburban roads in disrepair then the base Stingray is probably best, though if I drove on such roads I'd skip the Corvette entirely and buy a CT5 Blackwing in a few years.

I live in a rural area with wonderfully twisty roads in reasonably good condition, so I'll get the Z51 with FE4 MRC suspension.
            I think I’d be more likely to buy FE4 for the suburban roads in disrepair. Base should be ok on good roads.
            There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
            2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
            79 coupe Silver/oyster
            All one owner
            Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM View Post
              One more consideration regarding the increased cooling capability of the Z51. Others like myself who have gotten caught in heavy traffic on hot days, probably noticed that the AC would put out warm air until traffic sped up again. I brought my 15' C7 with Z51 back to Chevy service several times about this and each time they modified some (software?) parameters that were supposed to solve the problem. There was some improvement but the problem never went away completely. I would think that with the increased cooling capacity of the C8 Z51, that this should no longer be a problem and is another reason for my selection. Someone please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.
              My feeling exactly also better stopping power alone is worth it for myself. I have spent more than 5K just on brake upgrade before. The Z51 package is a great Value. Period.
              Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM View Post
                My best response is possibly. Evaporator may be in front of one radiator or cooled separately on the C8. Didn’t occur to me to check this weekend. How much better it is with Z51 I don’t know. Our 15 Z06 doesn’t really have the problem you have. The air gets a little less cold but not warm when stopped.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
                  Tadge is saying what he must say. If he were to say, in so many words, "get the Z51 because the base suspension sucks,"... and buy a CT5 Blackwing in a few years.

Yea. He must say the truth so he sure wouldn't say the "base suspension sucks" in any words. Roads are great here in eastern MD but I'm still looking for the 2021 CT6 all season detunded Blackwing.

You're gonna have have the best suspension you can get in the C8.

Comment

I was quite surprised as I would think most corvette chief engineers would say the more expensive z51 fe4 is the highest performing models even for the street but no...tadge said if your tracking the car get z51:but if your just driving on the street the performance differential is practically indifferent...

no upsell from Tadge...

got to give him a degree of respect for his desire to meet and exceed consumer desires and expectations in their c8 purchase
                    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Smith View Post
                      I’m definitely going Z51 but added the mag shock option today. Didn’t realize the base Z51 was non adjustable. Glad I asked before order was firm.
                      I heard that the base struts were not adjustable. Are we sure the FE3 struts are not adjustable?
                      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Dont fe3 struts come with z51 standard? Fe4 mrc being optional..

any z51 without e60 would have adjustable height.
                        Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          Dont fe3 struts come with z51 standard? Fe4 mrc being optional..

any z51 without e60 would have adjustable height.
                          As I reread the post, when he referred to adjustable, I believe he meant the FE4 type adjustability (firmness) not height adjustability. Sorry for any confusion.
                          Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post

I think I’d be more likely to buy FE4 for the suburban roads in disrepair. Base should be ok on good roads.
                            The base suspension is at least as comfortable as the FE4 in tour mode. They're pairing MRC dampers with much stiffer springs on the FE4, and in the sport setting it would be unusable on really bad suburban pavement, so there's no point in getting it for suburban driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post

My best response is possibly. Evaporator may be in front of one radiator or cooled separately on the C8. Didn’t occur to me to check this weekend. How much better it is with Z51 I don’t know. Our 15 Z06 doesn’t really have the problem you have. The air gets a little less cold but not warm when stopped.
                              The evaporator would be located in or near the cabin area for interior air cooling. The condenser is usually located near the radiator and is cooled in the outside air stream.
                              Now - 2014 Premier convertible #236
                              Next - C8 Shadow Gray, Morello, Z051, Mag ride
                              or C8 Premier Launch Edition

Comment

For me, it is about the extra cooling for the mid engine. The mid engines I’ve driven run hot. In my area it is quite hot in the summer so I’m for extra cooling for the engine. The larger brakes, better suspension, exhaust are also good. I probably will not track it or autocross the C-8 though, but if I change my mind, it is there.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X