Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

The final word on whether to z51 or not from Tadge Juechter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dev23007 View Post
    Will these tires on the z51 wear ok.
    Oh, they are going to wear ok! As in “out” quicker than a tire with say a 400 UTQG rating. You may have had tires with a 200+ UTQG rating before and they probably were great for traction and performance, but I’ve never had a set that lasted more than 26k miles on my cars and that was driving fairly conservative. Other’s results may vary!

One question I have for all of those who live in colder climates: Will you buy a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, if you choose the Z51 package? I live in southern, TX, hence my lack of knowledge. (Well, I have a large amount of knowledge lacking) Or, can you elect to get the all-season tires with the Z51 package? I don’t see where that is a viable option.

Comment

• The rear Michelin PSS summer tires on my C7 have 35,000 miles on them, and they're not quite worn out. Surprisingly, the fronts wore out faster, but that probably has something to do with 3 race track jaunts. Without those, I suspect they would have gone as long as the rears.'

The PS4s should be at least as good. During one interview, Tadge (IIRC) said that the new platform's improved dynamics allowed Michelin to meet the handling targets with a less aggressive tire compound.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

• Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

Yes, and GM recommends targa removal as a 2 man job. I am really torn about this, paying a little more and waiting a little longer for a great-looking convertible , which I really don't know how much I would use. I enjoy the sunroof on my ISF, but I always close it on the highway, it's just so noisy. How much top-down fun would I actually get from a convertible?
        I am torn also. I have always liked a coupes looks a tiny bit better than a vert. And when I drive with my wife, she always makes me close the sunroof and windows so I know that will happen also with a vert. But some days it would be real nice to just touch a button and the top comes down. These "Spider" style verts are so nice looking.
        2020 C8 Torch Red/Natural Spider: In the top 5 of first Canadian deliveries.

Comment

• Yes you can use all season michelin a/s tires on a z51...

although for real snow like we get here in the NY tri state area which amounts to about 100 inches of snow a season although lsat year was light...

i plan on a second set of take off wheels usually that I pick up for around 500 dollars off craigslist or the forums...

the 19/20 inch michelin a/s non runflats usually cost me about 1000 installed...

runflats are a few hundred more...

snow tires i often find on line preowned...most guys buy them...freak out about a little slipping and sliding and sell the snow tires so I try and buy those on line as well....

ive been driving sportscars in the snow for over four decades...its fun...just a lot easier to slide the car around ...its like dancing

last set i bought four beautiful grey oem rims with like new snow tires and sensors all four for 700...

used them for 3 or 4 years and sold them for 2 bills to the first guy who came to the house...(5 months or 5 k a year on the snows.. he was a nice fella...

This coming winter will be my first in quite a few years only using all season tires...im sure they will do fine in the light stuff....

i though the c8 would be in my possession this coming winter..

no big deal...

oh by the way all my daily driver corvettes with over 250k miles total have been z51 or z06...

they work just fine on all season tires, summer only above 40 degrees or snow tires in winter months with smow.

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Comment

• Originally posted by GWHITE75 View Post
            One question I have for all of those who live in colder climates: Will you buy a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, if you choose the Z51 package? I live in southern TX ...
            I'm in Colorado. I'll keep the sticky rubber on year round, with occasional use during the winter months on nice sunny days. The F150 Super Crew turbo just makes a better driver when the roads are wet or snowy, and the LT1/Z51 will be driven for pleasure rather than pragmatism.

I have similar low tread-wear sticky tires on my current "fair weather" vehicle and find that as long as the sun is shining and the roads are dry, no problem to get enough heat in the tires to have some fun, even in the winter.
            Last edited by pfbz; 09-10-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=GWHITE75;n69642]

I live in southern, TX, hence my lack of knowledge. (Well, I have a large amount of knowledge lacking)

👍 If we admit it, I think we all have a large amount of knowledge lacking. Good to have this large pool of varied experience folks!

Comment

• I had a 2007 Pontiac / Holden GTO with two sets of tires prior to buying my C7. The winter set were Dunlop snow tires with sipes as big as Blizzaks ! With traction control, I could zip around in the snow like a dirt tracker and never got stuck ! That car was built like a tank, however, and had more ground clearance than the Corvette. When it snows now, I use the Volvo which was made for snow !

Comment

• Originally posted by GWHITE75 View Post

One question I have for all of those who live in colder climates: Will you buy a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, if you choose the Z51 package? I live in southern, TX, hence my lack of knowledge. (Well, I have a large amount of knowledge lacking) Or, can you elect to get the all-season tires with the Z51 package? I don’t see where that is a viable option.
                  I'm in Canada and getting the Z51 package. I would have preferred to have an option on tires but I'll live with the summers.

My present car has summers and I'll avoid driving on snow or ice, but on sunny dry days in winter I'll drive it. Traction is noticeably reduced, but the car is still driveable if common sense is used.

My DD in winter is a Golf R with snows. Great fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post

I'm in Canada and getting the Z51 package. I would have preferred to have an option on tires but I'll live with the summers.

My present car has summers and I'll avoid driving on snow or ice, but on sunny dry days in winter I'll drive it. Traction is noticeably reduced, but the car is still driveable if common sense is used.

My DD in winter is a Golf R with snows. Great fun.
                    Low traction tires in tje winter can be a riot of course maintaining some degree of common sense..

driving in the snow you need snow tires though or at the very least all season but I prefer dedicated snows ...and then in the summer go with summer tires ...

then when you go to sell the car....all seasons all the time for the new buyer..

todays high performance tires are not really like a decade ago...

since the tire compounds got so highly dedicated to sticky summer performance....the under 40 degree plays havoc on summer only tires and utterly worthless in the snow...

take off rims will flood the market soon enough and $500 for a set of wheels should eventually become common...

Comment

• Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                      I agree with all the above JB , we all have processed as much of the info on this great forum and can come to our own conclusions and options list. Everyones situation and thoughts are different. Can we blame this thread on Tadge? LOL
                      Naw the OP quoted someone going by “Supersonic 427” me I’m going to BUY the Z51 package just because and that’s the only reason an adult needs last time I did anything childish 😳
                      2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                      1100 status 😊
                      2020 C8 Stingray 3LT Elkhart Lake Blue 2 tone Blue int.
                      3LT-GS7w/HTO,Z51,FE4,E60,Q8T,ZZ3,FA5,J6E,VQK,RWJ,ERI

Comment

• Originally posted by pfbz View Post
                        I am honestly perplexed at the lack of enthusiasm for the Z51 package.

Equally surprised as well as the frequent categorization of it as a set of upgrades "only worth if you track"..

It is not a track package! It has some "fast street" improvements and some cosmetic improvements. Here's my breakdown:[INDENT]Performance Exhaust. Definitely not a "track only" upgrade, and while little peak horsepower gain, I expect the exhaust sound is worth the price of admission (though available separately). This is a sound upgrade more than anything else. And while peak HP might only be up 5hp, until we see dyno plots we have little info on how it might (or might not) improve/flatten the torque cure.
                        I don't know why this isn't be shared more, but the NPP exhaust power difference is released. It is only 1.2HP / 0.8 LB FT difference. I can't imagine it has any affect on the torque curve.

https://www.sae.org/standards/conten...2cors/preview/

https://www.sae.org/standards/conten...2corn/preview/
                        Last edited by tbs156; 09-10-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparro View Post

I am torn also. I have always liked a coupes looks a tiny bit better than a vert. And when I drive with my wife, she always makes me close the sunroof and windows so I know that will happen also with a vert. But some days it would be real nice to just touch a button and the top comes down. These "Spider" style verts are so nice looking.
                          Ever notice how as the girlfriends they so love the top down motoring while many of the wives are not always the biggest fan of convertibles?

hehehe...

Got to love these women who marry us..

god bless them

all kidding aside its the messy hair thing as they dare I say get older

Comment

• Originally posted by tbs156 View Post

I don't know why this isn't be shared more, but the NPP exhaust power difference is released. It is only 1.2HP / 0.8 LB FT difference. I can't imagine it has any affect on the torque curve.

https://www.sae.org/standards/conten...2cors/preview/

https://www.sae.org/standards/conten...2corn/preview/
                            And that is only at the flywheel, with the drive-train loss it is a zero net at rear wheels
                            Add raise in elevation and not even a flywheel gain

Sound control feature, not performance
                            Corvettes owned and raced since 1975:
                            1974,75,77,84,87,89,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

• Originally posted by pfbz View Post

I'm in Colorado. I'll keep the sticky rubber on year round, with occasional use during the winter months on nice sunny days. The F150 Super Crew turbo just makes a better driver when the roads are wet or snowy, and the LT1/Z51 will be driven for pleasure rather than pragmatism.

I have similar low tread-wear sticky tires on my current "fair weather" vehicle and find that as long as the sun is shining and the roads are dry, no problem to get enough heat in the tires to have some fun, even in the winter.
                              Consider the 40/60 F/R weight ratio when deciding on tire type

Be easy to have under-steer in non straight motion so be better to maintain a sticky/softer tire compound to help keep the fronts not being over driven by the pushing of the
                              rears overcoming the tire patch of fronts
                              Corvettes owned and raced since 1975:
                              1974,75,77,84,87,89,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

• Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
                                Sound ... feature, not performance
                                Most modern Porsche's are the same... performance exhaust = no change to performance, but amazing sound.

Flow restriction these days seem to commonly be with the cats, with performance improvement requiring cat upgrades like 100 cell sport cats.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X