Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

The final word on whether to z51 or not from Tadge Juechter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final word on whether to z51 or not from Tadge Juechter

for those wondering to get the z51 option $5000 + 1900 for the mrc shocks

here is the low down by the corvette cheif engineer of the corvette team himself..

Originally posted by Supersonic 427
    I cornered Tadge alone at Corvettes at Carlisle and asked this question......Will I be disappointed with a Non Z51 C8 coming from a 2019 GS? His answer was, " absolutely not"! He went on to say that the performance and handling differences are ever so slight between the C8 Non Z51 and Z51. The advantage in Z51 is the braking and cooling attributes on the track, not so much the performance difference. He also said, " Don't tell anyone, I would go for the Non Z51! " So right from the horses mouth! Sorry Tadge for spilling the beans...couldn't resist.
    BTW...I just put my order in for a base 1LT with just NPP with optional wheels and brake caliper color.
    I have no intentions of tracking the car and find more advantages with a Non Z51. I honestly believe most will buy the Z51 more for status than need. Again, if you intend to track the car ....Z51 with mag ride (FE4) is the way to go! If not, save your money ..Z51 is not needed!
    Not tracking the c8 id recommend saving the 7 grand.

JMO
    Last edited by JB; 09-06-2019, 08:09 PM.
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Ok. I have been wondering about the acceleration difference with the gearing, tires, etc. Would definitely need the NPP. A big thing for me also is the AS tires, and not needing a second set of tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 68roadster View Post
      Ok. I have been wondering about the acceleration difference with the gearing, tires, etc. Would definitely need the NPP. A big thing for me also is the AS tires, and not needing a second set of tires.
      Smart move..save your money and dont bother with a second set of a/s tires.

tadge says standard model without z51 is the same performance

whafsone tenth of a second to 60 mph...?

Comment

Very interesting. Great info. Thanks.

Comment

And, I guess aftermarket coilovers or springs for lowering will still save some cash.
          Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

Comment

I was told by a friend that had three C7's with z51 that there is little difference and to spend the money elsewhere + when he traded- in he didn't get near more money just because of the z51................jmo
            C8 ZR1/ZORA

Comment

The head engineer answers the question for those who will never track the car plus you dont have to get that stupid looking rear wing...

had he said there was a performance difference then maybe...but the same performance ?

why bother unless your tracking the car...

used to be slightly better performance but now with equal or in some cases better performance from the non z51 if you are jot tracking the car...

get the sleek looking non z51...

im tracking this car so Im getting z51 fe4...

I never heard a head engineer state what Tadge stated until the c8 at bowling green.

listen to the man who head up the engineering on the c8 and make your decision.

plus you dont need to buy a second set of rims and tires

I wouldnt get the high wing either so dont listen to me...

make up your own mind.

no wing c8 looks awesome and euro sleek..

Comment

Originally posted by 68roadster View Post
                I've heard Tadge say several times, both at Carlisle and NCM, that people are going to be surprised at how little performance difference there is between the base and Z51. In terms of 0-60 he said the Z51 has to shift twice to get to 60, the base model (because of the taller gearing) only once, so that even though the Z51 launches harder, the base is very close to 60.

For me, I'll save the Z51 money and put it towards the 2LT, which give me more things I'll actually make use of on the street. Pretty sure I'll never be able to feel the difference between 2.9 and 3.0 seconds to 60, or overheat the engine or brakes, on the street. And should I like the look of the wing and splitter, I'm pretty sure the aftermarket will offer me one for a lot less than $5 grand.

BUT, if the Z51 is what makes one happy, then go for it. One of the great things about Corvettes is the ability to make it your own, with both factory and aftermarket options.
                Last edited by meyerweb; 09-01-2019, 12:35 PM.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

If therein no meaningful performance difference, then is the performance exhaust aspect of Z51 worth it? Or worth how much ?

1LT + lift and call it wisdom?

2LT has lots of safety stuff.
                  Last edited by SheepDog; 09-01-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Houston, we have a problem...this has got me rethinking getting the Z51!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	A352A0CB-A019-468B-8725-AD69082A706B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	66475 Smart moves...ill still order z51 and fe4 because I want the mrc shock technology amd I hope in my 60s I can get to the track this time around like I did in my forties..

I had family obligations in my 50s so I didnt track the corvette I owned and I still enjoyed the current c6 z51 m6.

all kidding aside I think after hearing Tadge the head engineer literally say the performance differential is nothing for those never going to the track what the heck..

save the seven grand .. i really believe the c8 was designed in such a manner the z51 package is an answer to driving on the track in 100 degree weather and you all know why....

ps i love that rabbit photo..
                      Last edited by JB; 09-01-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                        If therein no meaningful performance difference, then is the performance exhaust aspect of Z51 worth it? Or worth how much ?

LT2 + lift and call it wisdom?
                        The NPP exhaust adds AT MOST 5hp high in the rpm range. Perhaps only 1.2hp.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...9909#post59909

Even if it's 5HP, that's only 1% difference. On a high speed track, that might improve your race time by 0.1 second - cumulative - over the entire race. On the street, where you're hardly ever at redline, it's meaningless. Buy the NPP because you like the louder sound and the option to make it quiet when you want it, not for performance.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The NPP exhaust adds AT MOST 5hp high in the rpm range. Perhaps only 1.2hp.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...9909#post59909

Even if it's 5HP, that's only 1% difference. On a high speed track, that might improve your race time by 0.1 second - cumulative - over the entire race. On the street, where you're hardly ever at redline, it's meaningless. Buy the NPP because you like the louder sound and the option to make it quiet when you want it, not for performance.
                          Meyers web...when you are right your right...

the c8 does not seem to benefit from a performance perspective AT ALL...according to the head engineer except for durability on track use...

I personally found previous gens like the c6 drove different between base and z51...

the evolution or in this case revolution to the c8 design mitigated the advantages.

i cant speak of the c7 as I didnt own one.

C8 sounds like standard or z51 the street difference sounds minimal

sorry I believed otherwise..to anyone I previously said otherwose please accept my apology if that matters.

im still ordering z51 and fe4 as I do believe it holds great durability for long term ownership use as well.

im sure Im imagining it but what the hell.

still ive never heard a head engineer say what has been reported today.

they must have built the standard c8 to a much higher standard according to tadge Juncter himself...

his message today was quite a bit different than in years past with the previous generations of corvettes I followed.

thats the point of this thread by the way..

Tadge is not the man who knows the man...he is the man.
                          Last edited by JB; 09-01-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

So, in NPP a stand alone option?

And FE4 should be!
                            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....XGMF5X

Comment

I'm all in for the LT1 non Z51 mainly because of the tires not being all season and no interest in the track but I after listening to Jim Mero I believe that the MRC is a sound investment

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X