Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #109 - Corvette News & Headlines, Mid-May 2022

Join your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com and they discuss what’s happening with America’s Sports Car. https://youtu.be/LY-bD8tscBs; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...HXCQFbRpXxWPtK
1. Hard Top Convertibles now account for 48% of Corvette orders
2. Here are the most popular Corvette colors of 2022
3. 70th anniversary models delayed because of wheel constraints
4. Export versions of the C8 Z06 with corner mounted exhaust will be exported
5. The 2023 Stingray/Z06 Owner’s Manual available for download
6. The 2023 C8 Z06 is the official Pace Car for the Indianapolis 500
7. Corvette Racing’s drivers take a C8 Stingray on the track at Spring Mountain
8. Corvette Hall Of Fame inductees announced
9. Corvette is the AutoCar 2022 Dream Car of the Year

CORVETTE TODAY is the best way to stay current on what’s happening with Corvette! Don’t miss this episode…..

LISTEN TO THE PODCAST, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP AT:

www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Exhaust sound level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust sound level

I know it's been discussed, so sorry to keep at it, but still haven't seen a solid answer from a key engineer about it.

So, could someone please ask at the NCM..."is the stealth mode on NPP quieter or louder than the standard exhaust?"

Really appreciate it if anyone can get this answered solidly once and for all.
    '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
    '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
    Several others including two C7's

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Don't know. My guess is the stealth mode on the C8 NPP could be equal to the standard C8 exhaust. On my 2014 C7 the "stealth/standard" setting is the same. I can set open or closed on NPP.

Not to complicate your question, but I'd like to see/hear a C8 idling while the driver toggles between "open" and "closed" on the C8 NPP.

Also, is the C7 louder with open NPP than the C8? Those 4 inch openings on the C7 NPP let that sound out.
    Last edited by Boomer; 08-31-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

We do not know. Sorry. What we do know if that repeatedly asking and listening to Corvette team members who have driven in the C8, have said it is significantly quieter than the C7.

I can add that in my C7 Z06 (I know different animal), that while I love loud exhaust music 95% of the time, on extended road trip travel such as on a Caravan, once I get up to interstate speed, I immediately turn the exhaust to stealth mode and my wife and I, despite still hearing the not-pleasant tire whine, enjoy being able to talk at normal voices, even whispering when/if we choose.

Am I correct that your question George is therefore solely whether you wish to, or do not wish to spend the money for the NPP as far as its sound level difference is concerned (or am I missing something).
      Z07 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available including the wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

For my needs, spending for the option is not an issue, as I'm willing to go with which ever one offers the quietest exhaust option.

Then again, maybe it's such a minor difference that we're just beating a dead horse for no reason. It's just that my personal hearing problems are an important part of my decision process with the new C8. Again, thanks so much for any and all info on this subject.
        Last edited by George; 08-31-2019, 07:59 PM.

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Here is link to C8 startup. Not sure of what mode the exhaust settings were for this. Sounds good to me!
          2014 Laguna Blue 3LT Stingray
          2019 Sebring Orange 2LT Grand Sport

2020 C8 in Sebring Orange 2LT with Z51, Magnetic Ride, Spectra Gray Trident wheels, Carbon Flash Mirrors/Spoiler, Front Lift, Orange Seat Belts, Black Interior, GT2 seats, Engine Appearance Package

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket68 View Post
            Here is link to C8 startup. Not sure of what mode the exhaust settings were for this. Sounds good to me!
            Thanks for that. Sounds excellent. Pretty sure my C7 on a cold start would be louder.
            Last edited by Boomer; 09-01-2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              For my needs, spending for the option is not an issue, as I'm willing to go with which ever one offers the quietest exhaust option.
              Any quietness over the standard exhaust would probably be minimal if at all with NPP. Resale maybe better with NPP. If it doesn't make any spending difference to you, then there is no reason for you not to get NPP.

Comment

I listened to the cars leave tonight. The sound level to me seems close to our Z06 with the flaps closed.
                Not sure how all the cars were equipped or how they were set but they were not as loud as our car with the flaps open. Have a bit different tone to them too so a little hard to compare.
                There is a madness to my method!
                C8 on order Torch/Adrenaline Z51, MSRC, front lift
                2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

I asked two GM folks at Carlisle, and 3 at NCM, and none could answer the question.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                    I asked two GM folks at Carlisle, and 3 at NCM, and none could answer the question.
                    Yes I asked one of them too and had the same problem. Also asked how interior noise levels compare in decibels but they didn’t have an answer.
                    Did say the interior is noticeably quieter.
                    2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                    79 coupe Silver/oyster
                    All one owner
                    Museum lifetime members

Comment

Go drive a c7 with and without npp and youll know about the sound the sound level of the c8...

its not going to change that much. (Worst case scenerio)

I would state that if you watch the videos of the BG presentations the engineer design effort to minimize high frequency noise from engine accessories right behind you have been so well engineered that road noise in the c8 whether it be tire, engine accessories etc..lhas been dramatically reduced

driver fatigue on long trips will be minimized as road noise will be eliminated to greater degree than the c7 .

i get the fact that hours on the road in earlier generations can wear down a driver acoustically and based off the seminars at bowling green I would suggest the driven focus of the corvette engineering team as the engine moved to the rear of the car ..noise isolation became such a great priority that GM engineers over enthusiastically achieved their and I believe the original posters goal.

supposedly wothin a hundred yards you will know via sound levels that you are in a totally new vehicle .

i recommend NPP as it does offer what I believe to be the best of both worlds but of course thats a personal choice.

i hope that helps...

Last edited by JB; 09-01-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks to all for the efforts to answer this question!

Comment

Also remember George that all the noise is behind you. No exhaust under your feet or in front. Also in a coupe the hatch area served as a bit of a resonance chamber to amplify noise. Won’t have that now.
                          2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                          79 coupe Silver/oyster
                          All one owner
                          Museum lifetime members

Comment

George, judging from the C6 and C7, I doubt that any difference is detectable except by instruments. What would account for an acoustic difference? "Stealth" mode means closing the butterfly valves on two of the four pipes so that essentially 100% of the exhaust passes through the muffler baffles. Non-NPP would have 100% of the exhaust running through the muffler baffles (and exiting all four pipes). Unless the muffler design is significantly different, the noise should be so close as to be undetectable.
                            Convertible delivered 9/11/20 — Long Beach Red/Natural, 3LT, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Front Lift, FA5 Carbon Fiber Trim, Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents, 5ZZ High Wing, D84 Carbon Flash Top & Nacelles, ZYC Carbon Flash Mirrors, 3N9 Tan Belts, VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                              Thanks to all for the efforts to answer this question!
                              I think if quiet is your goal, there really isn't any reason to spring for the NPP. The base car is likely to be as quiet as you can expect from a high perf sports car. During several of the presentations, GM folks emphasized how much quieter the cabin is than the C7 (or earlier Corvettes).
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X