CD also says C8 Z06 will be 5.5L FPC engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD also says C8 Z06 will be 5.5L FPC engine

CD was been pretty accurate in the past about C8 info.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hybrid-engine/

Wagnerian exhaust notes??? I had to look that one up. I bet that German composer analogy p***es-off the Porsche dudes.

And if this C&D article is correct, it seems like forum members mpgxsvcd and RoketRdr are correct in that the motor will be in the frunk, from this thread.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ercar%E2%80%9D

And in the same thread, other members referred to the batteries being placed in the center structural tunnel.
    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://youtu.be/ygE01sOhzz0

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I still don’t believe it will be a 5.5L. IMSA rules don’t allow a 5.5L to be turbo charged so the street Z06 would have to be NA meaning it won’t be anywhere close to the 800hp mark or even the current C7 Z06 power.

Comment

IMSA won’t IMSA without the Corvettes......they’ll figure it out.
        And, perhaps, the E-RAY will compete in the new Hypercar class at LeMan....😎
        Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
          IMSA won’t IMSA without the Corvettes......they’ll figure it out.
          And, perhaps, the E-RAY will compete in the new Hypercar class at LeMan....😎
          BLASPHEMY ON THE E-RAY!!! I speculate the new engine will be a 4.2-4.5L with twins andmostly likely a Black Wing variant.

Comment

The article says "many more . . . various states of tune." Very expansive sounding.
            The 911 is many and various. The McLaren V8 too?

" . . . but there will be many more high-performance Corvette models to come."
            " . . . in various states of tune, making between 600 and 1000 horsepower."

Many and various = a performance-choice smokers board.

This sounds too good to be Corvette, sounds like new Corvette.
            Last edited by SheepDog; 08-28-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
              The article says "many more . . . various states of tune." Very expansive sounding.
              The 911 is many and various. The McLaren V8 too?

" . . . but there will be many more high-performance Corvette models to come."
              " . . . in various states of tune, making between 600 and 1000 horsepower."

Many and various = a performance-choice smokers board.
              Pretty sure it will be business as usual with the moniker except that we don’t know if a Zora will be the king or replace the ZR1. Certainly Z06 and Grand Sport equivalent models. Can’t see GM adding anymore because the market has to demand it first.

Comment

C&D is pretty good at calling these things - I'd say they have a source. The interesting "tell" is that the Tremec DCT limits the engine to 8600 rpm vs. 9000 rpm which is what they wanted to match the spectacular Ferrari 458 4.5L F136 Speciale V-8. How would they know this without taking to someone ?

That said, 600 HP with only a little more torque from the NA 5.5L DOHC (maybe 490 ft-lbf, based on scaling the F136 number by the displacement ratio) will mean that the Z06 will not be much quicker off the line than the base model. For track use, however, it should have better performance from 100 mph on up. I'd guess this one is the track star.

The ZR1 should be the Big Kahuna, especially with the hybrid motors in the frunk bay. I disagree with C&D on track performance - the E-Vette ZR1 will compete with the best, because AWD trumps weight on the Ring. This one could get well below 6:40.

All that said, a special built 5.5L DOHC V-8 motor will be mucho dinero. Like $30-40K, because it will share virtually nothing with anything else GM builds. Small engine build numbers means that GM has to spread an expensive engine development program cost over, maybe, 2000-3000 car sales a year. I would expect both the Z06 and the ZR1 to cost well over $120K. Of course I thought that the base C8 would be $70K, so what do I know ? These guys are the best "value engineering" sports car designers in the world at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                  C&D is pretty good at calling these things - I'd say they have a source. The interesting "tell" is that the Tremec DCT limits the engine to 8600 rpm vs. 9000 rpm which is what they wanted to match the spectacular Ferrari 458 4.5L F136 Speciale V-8. How would they know this without taking to someone ?

That said, 600 HP with only a little more torque from the NA 5.5L DOHC (maybe 490 ft-lbf, based on scaling the F136 number by the displacement ratio) will mean that the Z06 will not be much quicker off the line than the base model. For track use, however, it should have better performance from 100 mph on up. I'd guess this one is the track star.

The ZR1 should be the Big Kahuna, especially with the hybrid motors in the frunk bay. I disagree with C&D on track performance - the E-Vette ZR1 will compete with the best, because AWD trumps weight on the Ring. This one could get well below 6:40.

All that said, a special built 5.5L DOHC V-8 motor will be mucho dinero. Like $30-40K, because it will share virtually nothing with anything else GM builds. Small engine build numbers means that GM has to spread an expensive engine development program cost over, maybe, 2000-3000 car sales a year. I would expect both the Z06 and the ZR1 to cost well over $120K. Of course I thought that the base C8 would be $70K, so what do I know ? These guys are the best "value engineering" sports car designers in the world at this point.
                  If the Z06 comes with a 5.5L that means Chevy is out of IMSA racing and we already know the C8R is built and being tested so that’s not going to happen. IMSA isn’t suddenly going to change the rules for team Corvette as they’ve already worked diligently to limit the current race car. They can’t add forced induction to a 5.5L and GM isn’t going to reduce the C8 Z06 power lower than the current C7 Z06. Quite the dilemma.

Comment

Business as usual is certainly a powerful force. Can't disagree with tradition.. But they just broke with tradition. So.

Just Fantasy, but:
                    What if the C8 platform/car/engine are flexible, and allow interesting variations. And the engineers are adventurous, competitive and creative. Then, add what if , just once, they produced a limited run of a few hundred unique & interesting C8s, and did it at at a profit point.

Or. What if there is a Zora Dunstov hiding among them.? Something different might happen and create an addition to usual business.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

If the Z06 comes with a 5.5L that means Chevy is out of IMSA racing and we already know the C8R is built and being tested so that’s not going to happen. IMSA isn’t suddenly going to change the rules for team Corvette as they’ve already worked diligently to limit the current race car. They can’t add forced induction to a 5.5L and GM isn’t going to reduce the C8 Z06 power lower than the current C7 Z06. Quite the dilemma.

Not so sure about that. This is an excerpt from an article. It seems they have some flexibility, de-stroking and such.

Corvette is a direct carry-over from its predecessor – the same 5.5 liter engine that was developed during the C6.R’s successful tenure in both the American Le Mans series and at The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Sure, Chevrolet had developed a 630 horsepower, supercharged LT4 small-block V8 engine for the Z06 Corvette (the production variant upon which the C7.R presently shares the most DNA), but racing rules require that the engine architecture must be de-bored and de-stroked to 5.5 liters to be eligible for competition. Nobody, not the engineers at Pratt & Miller and Chevrolet, nor Doug Fehan felt that the time and expense to re-work the new LT4 engine made any economic sense when they already had a proven winner with the current 5.5-liter engine platform.
                      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                        Business as usual is certainly a powerful force. Can't disagree with tradition.. But they just broke with tradition. So.

Just Fantasy, but:
                        What if the C8 platform/car/engine are flexible, and allow interesting variations. And the engineers are adventurous, competitive and creative. Then, add what if , just once, they produced a limited run of a few hundred unique & interesting C8s, and did it at at a profit point.

Or. What if there is a Zora Dunstov hiding among them.? Something different might happen and create an addition to usual business.
                        They only build what they can sell and the market tells hem what they can sell. Engineering and design aren’t cheap so if they don’t see a probable ROI they won’t build something new. The current Vette hierarchy covers all the racer needs so the only question is whether the Zora becomes the new king or replaces the ZR1. Given the current speculation on projected power output I suspect the Zora will a 1000+hp monster in a class of its own above the ZR1 that will approach $200K. Once we know more about the Z06 power plant we’ll have better insight as to what is happening for the future. They can’t build a 5.5L that makes over 600hp and meets emissions and CAFE standards so it’s hard to believe they would go backwards with the Z06 level car. Interesting times ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

Not so sure about that. This is an excerpt from an article. It seems they have some flexibility, de-stroking and such.

Corvette is a direct carry-over from its predecessor – the same 5.5 liter engine that was developed during the C6.R’s successful tenure in both the American Le Mans series and at The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Sure, Chevrolet had developed a 630 horsepower, supercharged LT4 small-block V8 engine for the Z06 Corvette (the production variant upon which the C7.R presently shares the most DNA), but racing rules require that the engine architecture must be de-bored and de-stroked to 5.5 liters to be eligible for competition. Nobody, not the engineers at Pratt & Miller and Chevrolet, nor Doug Fehan felt that the time and expense to re-work the new LT4 engine made any economic sense when they already had a proven winner with the current 5.5-liter engine platform.
                          We shall see. Sure are a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered and they aren’t telling us anything just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

Chevy has not bolted down the C8 design yet,
                            would be funny if out of the blue they add a early new option like front wheel electric and had already designed in the battery enclosure, voltage and wiring system
                            There is a reason the frunk free space is shallow enough for adding electric motors to wheels

IMSA is very pro electric as some already have been racing IMSA for the front wells
                            Cars in GTLM have boost now and if rules are rules IMSA states a car can race if it is production level, far from the **** the Ford GT-350 have gotten away with

In any case 2020 IMSA rules arrive in 2 months and thus C8R cannot be anything more then design of C8 Z51
                            unless IMSA gave Chevy a wavier, but do not hold breath in that happening

All can change soon with 2020 IMSA rules and that also means the C8.R is stuck with whatever the design is for at least until 2021 rules changes

To me GM should have sidelined the convertible and went right to a E-vette or whatever they call it and that would have added another 500 HP
                            over the LT2's output
                            Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                            1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

Chevy has not bolted down the C8 design yet,
                              would be funny if out of the blue they add a early new option like front wheel electric and had already designed in the battery enclosure, voltage and wiring system
                              There is a reason the frunk free space is shallow enough for adding electric motors to wheels

IMSA is very pro electric as some already have been racing IMSA for the front wells
                              Cars in GTLM have boost now and if rules are rules IMSA states a car can race if it is production level, far from the **** the Ford GT-350 have gotten away with

In any case 2020 IMSA rules arrive in 2 months and thus C8R cannot be anything more then design of C8 Z51
                              unless IMSA gave Chevy a wavier, but do not hold breath in that happening

All can change soon with 2020 IMSA rules and that also means the C8.R is stuck with whatever the design is for at least until 2021 rules changes

To me GM should have sidelined the convertible and went right to a E-vette or whatever they call it and that would have added another 500 HP
                              over the LT2's output
                              Exactly!! It seems the Chevy knows of an upcoming rule change that no source has talked about or revealed. And with your thoughts we could actually see a Z06 with a 5.5L and electric motors. I entertained the thought for about 1.2 seconds and dismissed it believing the ZR1 would get the motors. But it’s feasible if the Z06 stays NA with electric motors and the ZR1 goes forced induction on the same engine with electric motors. If that’s the case the Zora will be an absolutely insane monster guaranteed to be over 1000hp.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X