Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Z06 To Have “Flat-Plane-Crank, Twin-Turbo, Dual-Overhead-Cam V8”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MT article sure has some fuzzy logic in it. They discuss boring out the 4.2L Blackwing to make it oversquare, yet the cylinder wall spacing is already tight with 96mm bore spacing and 86mm bores. Furthermore, the FPC would shorten the stroke, so it may not need to be bored for oversquare cylinders.

There are other questionable assertions but I'll just say I really hope the ZO6 isn't FPC because if it is then I will not buy one. I have some neuropathy issues that create a sensitivity to vibration so a CPC V8 and an I6 are pretty much my favorite motors. FPC reliability is also an issue for those who will own beyond the warranty.

My guess is MT has no source and have used the C8.R to make a guess. They've been spectacularly wrong in past C8 predictions, including their speculated $70K base price and DOHC twin turbo V8 base engine.

My own prediction is that we'll see a new base engine in a few years after initial demand dies down, as is the norm when a new gen Corvette carries over an existing engine. Likely a Gen VI LS small block with the small possibility of an NA DOHC V8 if they can match the LT2's low end torque. If it's the small block then expect new pistons, heads, and AFM valvetrain for higher output and fuel economy.

Comment

Is there an possibility of the C8 with optional internal combustion engines, both DOHC and DOHV. Or cross plane and flat plane. And natural aspiration and forced induction. No history for it. No history for the ME, but it is here. Ford Mustang sort-of has 2 V8s, cross and flat plane. Can't be that hard to do. Porsche has boxsters and V8s. And plenty variation in the boxer 6 and 4.

Is the attitude of we/us, the Corvette faithful, harder than the tech involved.

The part that is certain is that the small block is i it and the super charged version is available and proven. The tantalizing part is the exciting possibilities waiting and in hand.

Last edited by SheepDog; 08-27-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Before everybody gets excited for wild horsepower numbers in the C8.R and it dominating IMSA or the WEC, remember what BOP stands for!

Comment

I want the big horse power version [800] for when I go to Costco for more potatoes. I can't race anybody in such a pretty car, with all that money it will cost. The Stingray is faster than I am. So may as well think big. Something much, much faster than I am.

I'll do BOP when I see a police car or posted speed limit . But not from a stoplight drag. Anybody grit on me at a stoplight and it 's the Indianapolis zero to 60, if in a 65MPH zone.
          Last edited by SheepDog; 08-27-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Here is my perfection:

600hp (more is overkill, IMO), Naturally Aspirated, low or high revving (I don’t really care). Now...make it wider and make it as light as possible. Do that, and I’ll throw my wallet at GM. ZO6 should go back to its roots.

I can’t believe we have reached the point where we are talking about 800hp production cars from the factory. It’s getting insane. That level of power is not needed and, IMO, can create a car that is not enjoyable to drive at higher limits. I think anyone who has driven a C7 ZO6 and a C7 ZO7 Grand Sport back-to-back will know EXACTLY what ai am referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by NavySuppo View Post
              Here is my perfection:

600hp (more is overkill, IMO), Naturally Aspirated, low or high revving (I don’t really care). Now...make it wider and make it as light as possible. Do that, and I’ll throw my wallet at GM. ZO6 should go back to its roots.

I can’t believe we have reached the point where we are talking about 800hp production cars from the factory. It’s getting insane. That level of power is not needed and, IMO, can create a car that is not enjoyable to drive at higher limits. I think anyone who has driven a C7 ZO6 and a C7 ZO7 Grand Sport back-to-back will know EXACTLY what ai am referring to.

You’re forgetting about the weight increases and vastly improved and implemented technology. If far safer and more pleasant to drive a modern day hot rod on the track and at it limits than even a car from a decade ago. More power is needed to overcome the weight increases to keep improving performance. The safety technology in these cars today allow the average joe the ability to go to their local track and push the car without killing themselves while simultaneously allowing a seasoned racer to turn those devices off and push to the limits. We are living in a time where we have the fastest and safest cars ever built that can meet the needs of average joe and racer x alike. Not needed? Speak for yourself.

Comment

I personally think 800 is an exaggeration. I’m thinking 720-750 specially if it’s still going to be rwd. ME can still only compensate for so much power. But dang I can’t wait to see what the Z is! I’m thinking Detroit show next summer sounds like a perfect time for a reveal!

Comment

Originally posted by TtiME View Post
                  I personally think 800 is an exaggeration. I’m thinking 720-750 specially if it’s still going to be rwd. ME can still only compensate for so much power. But dang I can’t wait to see what the Z is! I’m thinking Detroit show next summer sounds like a perfect time for a reveal!
                  They’re not going to produce a C8Z with less power than the current C7Z. The difference between RWD FE and RWD ME is night and day. Look at LaFerrari, P1 and 918. The whole reason Chevy went ME is because the current RWD platform was maxed out and ME is able to take a lot more and put it to the ground. If the Zora isn’t almost 1000hp or better I will be shocked. And most likely it will be an 800hp Z06 with added electric motors up front.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

You’re forgetting about the weight increases and vastly improved and implemented technology. If far safer and more pleasant to drive a modern day hot rod on the track and at it limits than even a car from a decade ago. More power is needed to overcome the weight increases to keep improving performance. The safety technology in these cars today allow the average joe the ability to go to their local track and push the car without killing themselves while simultaneously allowing a seasoned racer to turn those devices off and push to the limits. We are living in a time where we have the fastest and safest cars ever built that can meet the needs of average joe and racer x alike. Not needed? Speak for yourself.
                    I always speak for myself. Don’t read too much into it. No one cares. Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree with you more. 800hp is too much for anyone other than professional drivers. I would love to see anyone on this forum even remotely approach the limit of an 800hp car on a racetrack. Anyone. If you look even remotely capable at THAT limit, I salute you. My opinion.

Comment

I always speak for myself. Don’t read too much into it. No one cares. Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree with you more. 800hp is too much for anyone other than professional drivers. I would love to see anyone on this forum even remotely approach the limit of an 800hp car on a racetrack. Anyone. If you look even remotely capable at THAT limit, I salute you. My opinion.
                      You do realize there are a plethora of us who track their Z06/ZR1's on a regualar basis and can push the limits of the car on slicks right? 800hp in a 3700lb car isn't as much as you think it is when you have many years of track experience. Anywho...we're on a forum of people focused on high performance in a high performance vehicle.

Comment

Pretty strong opinion . I’m on this forum and have driven extreme high horse power real race cars for 40 years. You might want to know other people can drive 800 hp in very light weight cars, and do it well. Like you said, it’s your opinion, but it’s not based in fact.

Comment

The below article cites a persuasive item of evidence supporting the "TT Turbo V8" theory. That is the CAD drawings showing a TT Turbo V8 in association with the C8. So far everything shown in the CAD "spy" drawings has been confirmed by the C8 reveal. Nothing has been shown wrong about it. [IMO] . Is there anything else wrong about the CADs?

If the "TT Turbo V8" information does not hold up , then will that be the first proven incorrect/erroneous information in/from the CAD's.

If there is nothing else that has been shown incorrect then the CDAs are the highly predictive of a TT Turbo V8.

Will the C8 Corvette Z06 feature a twin-turbo V-8 derived from Cadillac's Blackwing?

Viknesh Vijayenthiran
                          VIKNESH VIJAYENTHIRAN AUGUST 26, 2019COMMENT NOW!
                          View GalleryThe mid-engine C8 Chevrolet Corvette has just arrived but the rumor mill is already in high gear with details of versions sitting above the base Stingray. The latest talk centers on the C8 Corvette Z06, which is expected to ditch the C7 generation's supercharged V-8 in favor of a new twin-turbocharged V-8.

Definite information is at a premium, but Automobile on Friday reported that the new Z06 will feature an engine derived from the Cadillac-exclusive twin-turbo V-8 referred to as the Blackwing. The Cadillac engine features a 4.2-liter displacement and double overhead cams and is currently rated at 550 horsepower in its most potent guise, found in the CT6-V.

SPONSORED CONTENT Tires That Get the Job Done and Look Good While Doing It

By Nitto Tire
                          CAD drawings depicting a mystery twin-turbo V-8, as well as the C8 Corvette, surfaced in 2017. The mystery engine was referred to as a “Gen6 LT7” in the drawings and could point to the powerplant destined for the new Z06. The C7 Corvette Z06's engine, a supercharged 6.2-liter good for 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, is code-named the LT4. The C7 Corvette ZR1's engine, also a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, is code-named the LT5 and pumps out 755 hp and 715 lb-ft of torque.

CAD images of the mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette - Image via Michael Accardi
                          CAD images of the mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette - Image via Michael Accardi

With the extra traction made possible by having the engine sitting on top of the driven wheels, the mid-engine C8 Corvette Z06's numbers could be rated even higher than both C7 variants. Rumors point to an 800-hp output, which could make the car a McLaren 720S and Ferrari F8 Tributo killer.

The most obvious transmission is an uprated version of the C8 Corvette Stingray's new 8-speed dual-clutch transmission. However, Automobile reported there are whispers of a 10-speed DCT making the cut. The magazine also said it's heard of a manual transmission being made a possibility, though the move is doubtful given the low demand for manuals making the cost of engineering the car to fit one difficult to justify.

Look for the Z06 to debut in 2021 as a 2022 model. It won't be the end of the performance road for the C8 Corvette, though. You can count on a new ZR1 (or possibly Zora), and this time around the Corvette top dog is expected to pack a hybrid powertrain, all-wheel drive, and an output approaching 1,000 hp.
                          Last edited by SheepDog; 08-28-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

They’re not going to produce a C8Z with less power than the current C7Z. The difference between RWD FE and RWD ME is night and day. Look at LaFerrari, P1 and 918. The whole reason Chevy went ME is because the current RWD platform was maxed out and ME is able to take a lot more and put it to the ground. If the Zora isn’t almost 1000hp or better I will be shocked. And most likely it will be an 800hp Z06 with added electric motors up front.
                            Uh ok! I said 720-750 hp last I checked C7Z is 650 so I’m saying 70-100 more hp. Let’s discuss those 3 hypercars 918 is awd. The other two are excellent but also are relatively light. I’d much rather they focus on taking some weight out than max hp. I’m just concerned the need for 800hp is to offset a large weight gain. Are we talking a 3800-3900 lb Z..
                            you can keep adding hp to offset weight but there’s a point where it’ll just loose feel, for the record I’ve been on the C8Z waiting list since last year, so this has nothing to do with me not wanting it or thinking 800 hp is too much!!

Comment

Originally posted by TtiME View Post

Uh ok! I said 720-750 hp last I checked C7Z is 650 so I’m saying 70-100 more hp. Let’s discuss those 3 hypercars 918 is awd. The other two are excellent but also are relatively light. I’d much rather they focus on taking some weight out than max hp. I’m just concerned the need for 800hp is to offset a large weight gain. Are we talking a 3800-3900 lb Z..
                              you can keep adding hp to offset weight but there’s a point where it’ll just loose feel, for the record I’ve been on the C8Z waiting list since last year, so this has nothing to do with me not wanting it or thinking 800 hp is too much!!
                              I was referencing the ZR1 level cars obviously. Carry on.

Comment

Weight: The C8 Stingray has a lot of good stuff in it. It is a GT cruiser. Room to carry stuff. Comfy , deep seats and amenities that create a great space to be in.

Stripper: The C8 Stingray could easily loose 300 lbs. to a dry weight of 3050. And gain 200HP in the change. But that would be a "Porsche GT2/3" proposition. And would add cost. It would loose its 60K$ start price. Loose comfort. Some want that option. That would be in a different dollar zone. But the ZR! is 150K$ . Lighter seats, wheels, body panels, glass, lighter everything cost money.

The Corvette Team has its dreamers. We all dream. They can [can] execute on it. They are aware of HP to Weight ratio.

As power goes up weight will come down in the ME layout?

The front engine car had packaging and layout constraints that required compromises that increased weight.

Seems that the purpose of the switch to ME is to change the compromise dynamics that created weight .

Optimistic that they will do the "right" thing, if they can if buyers can and will pay.

QUALIFICATION: IMHO !
                                Last edited by SheepDog; 08-28-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X