Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Z06 To Have “Flat-Plane-Crank, Twin-Turbo, Dual-Overhead-Cam V8”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 To Have “Flat-Plane-Crank, Twin-Turbo, Dual-Overhead-Cam V8”

Z06 motor information thanks to Motor Trend and via our wonderful fellow member CorvetteBlogger.

Originally posted by CorvetteBlogger
    C8 Corvette Z06 Will Have a Flat-Plane Crank Twin Turbo V8

By Mitch Talley

Aug 26, 2019

[RUMOR] C8 Corvette Z06 Will Have a Flat-Plane Crank Twin Turbo V8

The upcoming C8 Corvette Z06 will have a flat-plane-crank twin-turbo dual-overhead-cam V8, at least that’s the word from Motor Trend today.

The magazine says “a deep source on the Corvette team” has confirmed the new Z06 will borrow the twin-turbo engine from the upcoming C8.R race car.

“Everyone thinks it will be a small block, but it won’t be,” the source reportedly told Motor Trend. “Listen to the race car.”

Indeed, in a comparison of the sounds from the current C7.R car, which has a known cross-plane-crank V8, and a camouflaged C8.R testing at Sebring, Motor Trend believes there is a significant difference.

Writes the magazine: “The C8.R exhibits an entirely different exhaust note, one consistent with a flat-plane-crank engine design. Key characteristics to listen for: a higher-pitched exhaust note, a consistent exhaust note without the pushrod’s staccato bass line, higher RPM than a pushrod motor typically reaches characterized by longer times between upshifts, and lightning quick downshifts wherein the engine spins up to higher RPM much faster than a pushrod engine.”

MT points out that flat-plane-crank engines have key advantages for racing, including smaller, lighter crankshafts that spin up faster than cross-plane-crank V8s and lose less power to rotational inertia, plus improved performance and combustion efficiency because of better exhaust scavenging (which pulls the last exhaust gases out of a cylinder faster with reflected pressure waves).

The drawback to FPC engines, however, is balance problems as FPC V8s have only half of their vibrations cancelled out naturally, causing vibrations that only worsen as the speed climbs. “Aside from being annoying in the cockpit, vibrations can damage components or cause them to wear out more quickly,” MT notes.

Even though Cadillac President Steve Carlisle has insisted that the Corvette would get its cross-plane-crank Blackwing powerplant “over my dead body,” Motor Trend says the new design could just be a Chevrolet adaptation that would be upsized and switched to flat-plane-crank.

“It’s likely to have a lot in common with Cadillac’s engine, but with enough different to make it a game of semantics,” MT believes.

Chevy has already said the C8.R race car will be unveiled later this fall. Says Motor Trend: “When it does, take a good look under the engine cover, because what you see there is what you’ll be getting in the next Z06, and it won’t have pushrods.”
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...erm=2019-08-27

Last edited by John; 08-26-2019, 08:24 PM.
    GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

I've waited for the mid-engine for a longtime, but a real 4 cam, 4 valve, twin turbo is the ultimate power for this car. Thanks, John.

Comment

I am hopeful that the C8R and the C8 Z06 share the same engine. A lot of great things would come from that continuity. I have my doubts that the Z06 will be a 2022 model that a number of media experts claim to know. I can't see that happening based on the corvette model introduction history. I think it will be a 2021 model and then in 2022 we will see another new model and then hopefully the Zora with just stupid crazy performance numbers. It would be very comforting if the Chevy team would lay down their 4 year plan for us to see but that would be to good to be true I know..
      I am very happy with the C8 Z51 to have a great deal of fun on the track next year. Going to be fun...

Comment

If Corvette races the FlatPlaneCrank engine in competition in 2020, then they will be required to produce and sale street car C8s with that same engine in 2020. So they say. Ford got a waiver for the Ford GT by promising to comply with production requirements by the end of 2016 and they defaulted on the promise, more or less. Maybe they produced one GT by the end of that year, 2016. people speculate that Corvette is not the teacher's pet. Will get no waiver or special allowance.

Well that's what has been said on the subject by knowledgable people. If I got it, heard its, right. So maybe the wait for the F.P.C., DOHC, T.T. Z06 will be not long, at all.

I want one of "dem" too. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. I said it but do not believe until I see.

If they do this at Corvette prices, then it's hot cakes, home and abroad.

700/800HP + $80/110K + 8/9K, RPMs + ME = very popular and rear.

Observation and interpretation : Thadge confidently compares the C8 to Ferrari/Lambo etc. Well he has driven the C8 Z06. He knows. And is telling us in that way. The kicker is not that C8 will equal or surpass. That's easy. It will do it at Corvette price. That's hard.
        Last edited by SheepDog; 08-26-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Im out on the crazy 800 hp c8 as of right now...

I ll enjoy reading the insights and such but as far as buying one ...first I have to get delivery of the c8 z51 in the middle of 2020...then itll be at least four years before I buy a c8 z06...

800 hp does sound insane considering the c8 standard gets to sixty mph in 3 seconds or less...
          Last edited by JB; 08-26-2019, 10:17 PM.
          Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT (only two options)

Comment

Originally posted by Swift93 View Post
            I've waited for the mid-engine for a longtime, but a real 4 cam, 4 valve, twin turbo is the ultimate power for this car. Thanks, John.
            And this will likely be the end of the line for the C8 (as we know the past renditions). The next iteration will be the ZORA in all expectations. What's under that hood may be the same engine but it is thought to be an AWD with an electric engine on the front end. If only.......

Comment

Well the base C8 Stingray may be the sweet spot long term. If the base 911 is a lesson. It has remained the heart's throb in face of the high performance versions of 911.

The C8 Stingray is a lovely car.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                If Corvette races the FlatPlaneCrank engine in competition in 2020, then they will be required to produce and sale street car C8s with that same engine in 2020. So they say. Ford got a waiver for the Ford GT by promising to comply with production requirements by the end of 2016 and they defaulted on the promise, more or less. Maybe they produced one GT by the end of that year, 2016. people speculate that Corvette is not the teacher's pet. Will get no waiver or special allowance.

Well that's what has been said on the subject by knowledgable people. If I got it, heard its, right. So maybe the wait for the F.P.C., DOHC, T.T. Z06 will be not long, at all.

I want one of "dem" too. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Unbelievable. I said it but do not believe until I see.

If they do this at Corvette prices, then it's hot cakes, home and abroad.

700/800HP + $80/110K + 8/9K, RPMs + ME = very popular and rear.

Observation and interpretation : Thadge confidently compares the C8 to Ferrari/Lambo etc. Well he has driven the C8 Z06. He knows. And is telling us in that way. The kicker is not that C8 will equal or surpass. That's easy. It will do it at Corvette price. That's hard.
                IMSA racing for 2020 with new Z06 makeup cannot happen as their yearly new rules start late in year which is only few months away
                No way a Z06 will happen even in a few years or worse as

As it is GM has used basically the same 5.5L small block since the C5.R so who knows what their plan is for 2020 season ?

GM and other nameplates went to state of Ca few weeks back and told EPA to shove it that capped off MPG to 45 at 2024
                These nameplates signed and agree to Ca CARB for the 54 MPG for 2025 thus it might even be harder to get GM corp to agree on 800 plus HP gas engine
                but I think that box of the center frame is for batteries for electric front wheels and use a smaller V6 or Blackwing without any boost ?
                Must less GM Corp are electric junkies who seem to hate V8 gas engines or even making cars here :-(

As for the **** ford ( really from a maker in Canada) did in part fault of team Corvette as they agreed to allow the GT-350 to race knowing they would never make the minimum street car count of 1,000 units
                They still never met that and now they are going bye bye but pushing IMSA that they win the GTLM series this year but Porsche has other plans
                Corvettes owned and raced since 1975:
                1974,75,77,84,87,89,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

IMSA racing for 2020 with new Z06 makeup cannot happen as their yearly new rules start late in year which is only few months away
                  No way a Z06 will happen even in a few years or worse as

As it is GM has used basically the same 5.5L small block since the C5.R so who knows what their plan is for 2020 season ?

GM and other nameplates went to state of Ca few weeks back and told EPA to shove it that capped off MPG to 45 at 2024
                  These nameplates signed and agree to Ca CARB for the 54 MPG for 2025 thus it might even be harder to get GM corp to agree on 800 plus HP gas engine
                  but I think that box of the center frame is for batteries for electric front wheels and use a smaller V6 or Blackwing without any boost ?
                  Must less GM Corp are electric junkies who seem to hate V8 gas engines or even making cars here :-(

As for the **** ford ( really from a maker in Canada) did in part fault of team Corvette as they agreed to allow the GT-350 to race knowing they would never make the minimum street car count of 1,000 units
                  They still never met that and now they are going bye bye but pushing IMSA that they win the GTLM series this year but Porsche has other plans
                  It was talked about on the broadcast of the IMSA race this weekend. The C8R will debut racing at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Last race for the C7R is Petit. I'll be there for the swan song. No way they race the C7R next year, trust me.
                  Last edited by TAdams65; 08-27-2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Listen to the YouTube video of the C8R testing at Sebring. It is definitely a high revving turbo V8.

Comment

Still hoping the GrandSport is a NA FPC.

Comment

Well, that's interesting. A NA GrandSport as the NA car. . The Z06 used to be the higher rev NA rendition: C5, C6. But lot of folks now are in deep with the feeling of Z06 with the airPumps. Do not remember it the old way.

Comment

Originally posted by TAdams65 View Post
                          Listen to the YouTube video of the C8R testing at Sebring. It is definitely a high revving turbo V8.
                          I want one of DEM. Every real kid does.

Comment

Z06 To Have “Flat-Plane-Crank, Twin-Turbo, Dual-Overhead-Cam V8”

and slotted rotors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slotted.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	64462
                            Current Vettes:
                            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                            '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
                            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust
                            Upcoming Vette:
                            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 two-tone seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

I want one of DEM. Every real kid does.
                              I doubt it will happen, but one can hope. I've owned I4, V6, TT V6, T I6, V8, SC V8, and a FPC V8 (Voodoo in the GT350). Sadly no V12s I like high hp NA, it's a different feel. Turbos are fun, and can sound awesome (open wastegate and what not), but I would prefer a NA FPC (a true FPC, not the half and half approach that Ford took with the Voodoo) for my 'Murican mid-engine car. Just me. I have no doubt the Zed Oh Six will be awesome though.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X