First Impressions after Carlisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions after Carlisle

Quick report after my trip to Carlisle today. Actually, not so quick, so my apologies in advance if I ramble, but maybe it will help someone.

I went to the event with a few very specific objectives. I wanted to see a C8 in person, sit in one, and see some of the colors and options that I had already configured in the visualizer to confirm I was on the right course. Obviously, your choices and preferences could be different, but figured I would share my initial impressions and personal opinions, hoping they will be of value to some.

After I got the event, I headed directly to the Manufacturers tent. Finally, I saw my first C8 in person. By the end of the morning, I believe I saw 12 and ½ (counting the cutaway) different C8s. It was simply an amazing way to spend the morning and absolutely worth the long morning drive. Everything I had hoped for and more. At one point, I had to just stop, sit down in a chair, and stare at one of the C8s for a while. I….just….can’t….wait.

After taking a few pictures of the first C8 I saw, I got in line to sit in the only base C8 in the tent with the with GT1 seats. That was one of my objectives for the morning: GT1 vs GT2. I was so impressed with how comfortable the GT1 seats were. I loved them and could see myself traveling cross country without hesitation. To compare I moved back to the Gray C8 with GT2 seats. It’s just my opinion, but I was disappointed in the GT2 seats. They would probably be great if you were tracking the car or doing some aggressive driving, but I found the side bolsters in the GT2 seats a bit too tight for me. I could not imagine taking a long road trip in those seats. To be sure, I later moved to sit a passenger GT2 seat and I was sold, the GT2 were not for me (YMMV). In the tent, I saw and took picture of what I recall were two Blade Silver Metallic, one Black, one Torch Red (plus the Torch Red cutaway), and one Zeus Bronze Metallic.

While in the tent, I looked closely at the one Blade Silver Metallic C8 with the base silver open spoke wheels to see if those wheels looked any better in person than they did in the many pictures I studied on this site. After seeing them in person, they are ok. Not great, but I could probably live with them (depending on exterior color). I still much prefer the Sterling Silver Trident Spoke, but the base wheels would work.

During my visit to the C8 tent, I probably asked three different Corvette reps about the availability of heated and cooled seats in the 2LT with GT1 seats. I got no answers with any degree of certainty and one person suggested I go to the Corvette building next door as the interior expert was there and he could answer my question. As a side note, I learned more from the MECF site regarding this GT1 seat option. Ultimately, it was suggested I call the concierge phone number on the C8 website to confirm.

I waited in line, took several pictures of the absolutely stunning ceramic matrix gray C8 out front and then went inside the building. I took a lot of pictures of the Torch Red C8 on display as well as the wheel options, seat belts, steering wheels, seats, etc. I spoke to one of the few reps in the building and asked if they had a LBR C8 on display. He told me he had driven a C8 test vehicle and although it was not on display, he directed me to the VIP parking area where I could see it up close. By the way, he said during the 8 hour trip from Detroit, the base GT1 seats were great.

In the end, it was worth the drive (and the walk) as the LBR C8 is probably my choice. I took a ton of pictures. There were also four other C8s in the lot: Black, Torch Red, Rapid Blue, and Shadow Gray and I got a few pictures of each. I’ll filter through the many pictures tomorrow and try to post some.

One of the reasons I wanted to see this particular LBR C8 was it body color exterior trim accents (EFY). Although I really liked the way the body color looked on the intakes, I did not like the way the painted egg crate grill or the rear looked. I think I have decided I’m probably going to skip the body color exterior trim accents after this trip.

Overall, it was worth the drive to Carlisle, if only to see the amazing C8 in person and sit in it. The fact that the trip helped me decide on a few of the options was a definite plus. Hope this helps some who, like me, was on the fence on the configuration of their C8.

Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior

thank you! i have same question re GT1 seats... heat and cool? also can the side bolsters/wings be adjust out/wider on GT1 seat. Please post rapid blue when you get a chance. Thanks again!

Comment

VA_Bill, what a great and thorough analysis you did at Carlisle. Your excellent write up above will be super helpful to many, especially on the question of the GT1 seats.

SUPER THREAD Bill. We all owe you a great big “thank you.”
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Echo John's comments. Excellent report. I had previously removed GT2 seats from my build and went with GT1 based on information I was able to get on this forum. While I based my decision on the belief that GT2 seats basically had styling, cosmetic and aesthetic differences with the GT1 seats, you actually gave information about comfort thus assuring me I made the right decision by reverting to the GT1 seats, so thanks for that.

The GT1 seats do have heating and cooling as well as all the other adjustments that come with GT2 seats when purchased with the 2lt trim.

Good job!

Comment

What a fantastic write up. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I was surprised to hear about the GT2 seats. I understand if you don’t want to answer this question. However, it would be helpful to know if they were uncomfortable because you are a larger person or if they would be uncomfortable for everyone?

Comment

I sat in the car with the GT1 seats in the GM Tent. Super comfortable!! I'm 6'1 225 and am actually more comfortable in the C8 than the C7Z. (I do feel comfortable in the C7 though). I always have the C7 seat all the way back and as reclined as you can get it when it's all the way back. In the C8 I brought it all the way back and was able to move it forward about an inch, which allowed more recline. The cockpit is amazing. Looking back over your shoulder and seeing an engine made me feel very warm and fuzzy!!!!!

Comment

The bolsters are adjustable. Did you adjust them open or leave them where you found them?
              Thanks for the write up!
              Last edited by Meldoon; 08-25-2019, 06:44 AM.
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

VA bill thank you for your awesome review and insights..

Sounds like you had a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
                  What a fantastic write up. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I was surprised to hear about the GT2 seats. I understand if you don’t want to answer this question. However, it would be helpful to know if they were uncomfortable because you are a larger person or if they would be uncomfortable for everyone?
                  Yes, relevant question for the circumferentially endowed.

Comment

Originally posted by VA_Bill View Post
                    ... my apologies in advance if I ramble, but maybe it will help someone.

One of the reasons I wanted to see this particular LBR C8 was it body color exterior trim accents (EFY). Although I really liked the way the body color looked on the intakes, I did not like the way the painted egg crate grill or the rear looked. I think I have decided I’m probably going to skip the body color exterior trim accents after this trip.
                    Rambling is encouraged, love to hear what folks have discovered at Carlisle!

Your impression of the body-colored rear air exhaust grilles confirms what I felt from looking at photos, and I'll probably skip that exterior trim package too. But for the air intakes up front, I'm seriously considering having the dealer remove and paint them body color. I think it adds a bit of much-needed color to a predominantly black front end.

Comment

Regarding Meldoon's comment about adjusting the bolsters on the GT2, I did not adjust them. After I sat in the seat, I wondered if the bolsters were adjustable as it might have made them more comfortable. However, I did sit in both the driver and passenger seat with the GT2 seats and they were both pretty tight bolsters from my perspective. Maybe they were both adjusted that way. I am 5'11", 188 lbs, so probably pretty average driver.

Attached are a few pictures from the event, mostly in the parking lot where I could get a full view. I'll post these and any other decent pictures on the "C8 Exterior Color" sticky later today. As I review my pictures, I see most of the the LBR, Torch Red, Ceramic Gray and Shadow Gray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LBR.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	63791

Name:	SGM.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	63793

Name:	RB.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	63792

Name:	TR2.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	63789

Name:	TR1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	63790
                      Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior

Comment

Thanks for those shots! In combination with the others that have been posted, we now get to see the difference between the appearance in the rain / overcast and your sunny pics.

Comment

I would suggest gt2 seats are identical in side bolstering capability as the gt1 seat in 2 lt trim...

I personally believe the gt2 is more of a cosmetic appearance package...but thats just my opinion...

if you want to drop the coin for the nappa leather spots on the gt2 seats thats cool....and the other feature gt2 seats offer in 2 lt trim is the shiney black seat back panel ...

from a comfort standpoint or performance standpoint looking at the seats in person...I dont see much difference other than appearance...and I thought the mulan leather was excellent and within fractions of quality feel to the nappa leather in person. Jmo

the shiny seat back casing? Who is going to see that in a two seater? In the car the shiny rear seat back casing was not quite as apparent when comparing gt1 seat in the 2LT versus gt2 seat back...

in detaols its nice..,but is it worth 1500 ? Id probably say it depends how much details like that matter...to you as the owner of the vehicle.

fit and performance and comfort...i dont see much difference in the 2LT gt1 or the 2LT gt2 seat...they are both adjustable and heated and ventilated.(not cooled)

but I could be wrong

excellent review and insights by the original poster of this thread...

Last edited by JB; 08-25-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

By the way, around noon a lady pulled into the VIP parking lot driving the Shadow Gray Metallic C8 in the picture. She said she had been driving it off and on since November and it was part of a fleet of 300 (I hope I heard that number correctly) and had about 18,000 miles on it.

Also, I loved hearing the rumble of the exhaust in person as it drove by slowly. Did not compare to the many audio clips I have heard online. Simply awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by WMBGC8Corvette View Post
                              thank you! i have same question re GT1 seats... heat and cool? also can the side bolsters/wings be adjust out/wider on GT1 seat. Please post rapid blue when you get a chance. Thanks again!
                              Multiple documents from GM say that the GT1 seats have heating, ventilation, adjustable lumbar and side bolsters IF installed in an LT2. NOT in the LT1.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X