Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Latest Corvette News And Headlines

Things are starting to heat up about the new C8 Z06! And CORVETTE TODAY covers it all in this News & Headlines episode. Here are some of the topics you'll hear about ...
1. Final stats for the 2021 model year C8 Corvette
2. Nearly half of the C8.R IMSA Edition C8’s are already sold
3. 2022 C8 Configurator is now live
4. The C8 was the 2nd fastest selling new car in August 2021
5. Consumer Reports declines to recommend the 2021 C8 Corvette
6. 2021 C8 tops its class in the JD Power APEAL Study
7. A Nurburgring video captures 2023 C8 Z06 with unofficial track time
8. We have video evidence that the C8 Z06 will also come in an HTC
9. Did we see the reveal colors on the last teaser video for the C8 Z06?
10. Another Easter Egg discovery on the C8 Z06 “Save the Date” video
11. Spy photos of the C8 E-ray confirm it’s a performance hybrid
12. New Zealand about to get their right-hand drive C8 Corvettes
13. The C8 Z06 might break 3 production V8 records
14. Chevrolet has officially quit making the LT5 engine with 755 hp

This is a long list of topics, and it's not everything that's covered in this episode of the CORVETTE TODAY podcast.

Listen Here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Website & Merchandise: www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
Get CORVETTE TODAY email notifications: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
Join the CORVETTE TODAY Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
2 of 3 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

STI, Side Rocker Molding - The Definitive Word for YOUR 2020 Corvette Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STI, Side Rocker Molding - The Definitive Word for YOUR 2020 Corvette Build

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side Rocker Molding Body Color.JPG Views:	607 Size:	702.4 KB ID:	63668

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side Rocker Molding STI.JPG Views:	177 Size:	375.6 KB ID:	63669

When the world was introduced to the 2020 Mid Engine Corvette Stingray on 07.18.19, we were treated to three on-stage variations. All three, Torch Red, Elkhart Lake Blue, and Ceramic Matrix Gray, were adorned with the black rocker extensions.

Looking back, I think it was at that moment that most of the world made the following assumption: the plain black version must be the default version that comes standard with the car. When we saw the $550 STI, Side Rocker Molding in the Order Guide listed as "molded in color," our assumption was solidified. Rather than correctly translating "molded in color" to mean "not painted," we assumed the opposite.

Throughout my life, my father has on numerous occasions said, "you know what happens when you assume, don't you?" And if you've lived in a closet for most of your life, I'll tell you what he would then say next, "When you AssUMe, You make and *** out of U and ME!" Hopefully no one has actually made an *** of themselves as they have held to their STI assumptions, but this is social media, and anything is possible.

The assumption about the two side rocker molding options has reportedly been held by both the informed and uninformed alike, including media sources and salespersons at various Chevrolet dealerships. We desperately needed someone to save us. Enter Harlan Charles, Corvette Product Manager and Corvette's unsung hero!

Yesterday morning, prior to the 7:00 a.m. C8 Media Preview at Corvettes at Carlisle, Harlan and I were discussing various details about the all new Corvette. As we talked, Harlan shared with me that there was some confusion about the side rocker moldings and the STI option. He explained that every 2020 Corvette comes with the painted side rocker molding in the same color as the car that it is on.

We already knew that the $550 STI option is an accessory item and comes separately as such. What we didn't know was that the STI, Side Rocker Molding is what I refer to as the plain black one that appears to be made of the same material as the Z51 standard front splitter. The STI option is NOT painted and installation does NOT require the removal of the painted side rocker molding that is already on the car. In fact, Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design Manager for Corvette, today re-confirmed that STI, Side Rocker Molding, is installed over the existing painted side rocker molding with 3M tape securing the top side and screws securing it from underneath.

We appreciate Harlan and Kirk for helping us understand how confused most of us really were! So, as we move forward from here, we can confidently place our 2020 Corvette orders and not be surprised when the side rocker molding that we ordered isn't the one we thought we were ordering.

Dad, you were right, yet again.

SIDE ROCKER MOLDING AND FRONT SPLITTER STANDARD BUILD GUIDE

1) Non-Z51 Corvette - Side Rocker Molding Standard in Painted Body Color - No Front Splitter

2) Z51 Corvette - Side Rocker Molding Standard in Painted Body Color - Base Front Splitter, molded in black, not painted
    Last edited by jagamajajaran; 08-25-2019, 10:09 AM.

Thank you and it makes sense...it comes in body color and if it gets nicked up...just order up a dealer installed black piece and replace it.

i fully exoect over time the body color impregnated piece will get nicked up on some cars. Of course body impregnated colors might not show up the nicks...?

Some people will possibly just bolt a replacement item on and some wont...just depends on the amount of gravel or stones on the roadways they drive on over time.

i think its ingenious that we will be able to replace it with a black textured piece.

gm thinks of almost everything!

ill start out with the body colored standard piece and if over time it needs replacing...gm already has the part...
    Last edited by JB; 08-24-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Well, add another $550 to my order. Thanks for the clarification.
      Rapid Blue/Jet Black 1LT, Z51, carbon flash open spoke wheels w/yellow calipers, competition seats w/blue seatbelts

Comment

Originally posted by jagamajajaran View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Rocker Molding Body Color.JPG
Views:	9847
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	63668

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Rocker Molding STI.JPG
Views:	1759
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	63669

When the world was introduced to the 2020 Mid Engine Corvette Stingray on 07.18.19, we were treated to three on-stage variations. Two of these Corvettes, the Torch Red and Elkhart Lake Blue cars, had body color side rocker moldings, while the Ceramic Matrix Gray car had what looked like a plastic or similar version in black.

Looking back, I think it was at that moment that most of the world made the following assumption: the plain black version must be the default version that comes with the car and the body colored version must be an upgrade. When we saw the $550 STI, Side Rocker Molding in the Order Guide listed as "molded in color," our assumption was solidified. Rather than correctly translating "molded in color" to mean "not painted," we assumed the opposite.

Throughout my life, my father has on numerous occasions said, "you know what happens when you assume, don't you?" And if you've lived in a closet for most of your life, I'll tell you what he would then say next, "When you AssUMe, You make and *** out of U and ME!" Hopefully no one has actually made an *** of themselves as they have held to their STI assumptions, but this is social media, and anything is possible.

The assumption about the two side rocker molding options has reportedly been held by both the informed and uninformed alike, including media sources and salespersons at various Chevrolet dealerships. We desperately needed someone to save us. Enter Harlan Charles, Corvette Product Manager and Corvette's unsung hero!

Yesterday morning, prior to the 7:00 a.m. C8 Media Preview at Corvettes at Carlisle, Harlan and I were discussing various details about the all new Corvette. As we talked, Harlan shared with me that there was some confusion about the side rocker moldings and the STI option. He explained that every 2020 Corvette comes with the painted side rocker molding in the same color as the car that it is on.

We already knew that the $550 STI option is an accessory item and comes separately as such. What we didn't know was that the STI, Side Rocker Molding is what I refer to as the plain black one that appears to be made of the same material as the Z51 standard front splitter. The STI option is NOT painted and installation does NOT require the removal of the painted side rocker molding that is already on the car. In fact, Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design Manager for Corvette, today re-confirmed that STI, Side Rocker Molding, is installed over the existing painted side rocker molding with 3M tape securing the top side and screws securing it from underneath.

We appreciate Harlan and Kirk for helping us understand how confused most of us really were! So, as we move forward from here, we can confidently place our 2020 Corvette orders and not be surprised when the side rocker molding that we ordered isn't the one we thought we were ordering.

Dad, you were right, yet again.

SIDE ROCKER MOLDING AND FRONT SPLITTER STANDARD BUILD GUIDE

1) Non-Z51 Corvette - Side Rocker Molding Standard in Painted Body Color - No Front Splitter

2) Z51 Corvette - Side Rocker Molding Standard in Painted Body Color - Base Front Splitter, molded in black, not painted
        Thank you for clearing this up!

Comment

Very happy to learn that, in total ignorance, I managed to order the STI correctly. Great relief. Still, GM's wording could have been better.
          C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Jag, Great Work! This has caused so much confusion for such a minor part of the beautiful C8 body. Again, I'm sorry for my incorrect posting on this issue. Won't happen again. And just as Ralston posted, I too am relived that I ordered correctly (non-STI) earlier today. Thanks to Jag/John/meyerweb/JB and all for helping us understand our new masterpiece!!!
            2020 C8 Stingray Coupe 2LT; LBR Metallic / Natural Interior; GT1 Seats; EFY; Silver Hash Marks; E60-Front Lift; ZZ3-Engine Pkg; NPP-Exhaust; Edge Red Calipers; Edge Red Eng Cover; EYK; VQK; RXH; WKQ; SC7; GNOCC charter member. C8 arrived at the dealer 8/10/20

Comment

Jag, it was terrifically important to have this fully explained to all. Thank you for talking with Harlan to insure we all get this decision right.

Extremely well done; super informative thread.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thank you for clarification! I need to remove STI from my order.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince View Post
                  Well, add another $550 to my order. Thanks for the clarification.
                  U can say that again!!!

Jag, Grazie Mille!!!

Comment

Sounds good. I like the black accents. Seems this could be replaced as it gets damaged by road rash, and that would be better than just touch up paint on a stock color piece.

Now I wonder if it would be better to have a clear wrap beneath and then the black rocker over that.
                    2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Thanks Jag! I can see that STI will be much more resilient against rock chips, but I admit to thinking it looks too "thick" (a necessary evil since it installs over the existing piece rather than replacing it). I need to see both in person before I make up my mind ...

Really appreciate everything you do for the forum!

Comment

Is the front Z51 splitter the same texture and color as the STI rocker? It doesn't appear to have the same texture in pics I've seen... it wouldn't look good to have CF, regular plastic front splitter and textured side rocker on the same car... that is, 3 different blacks.

Anyone see the front splitter that can confirm?
                        Last edited by gthal; 08-25-2019, 07:51 PM.
                        2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Carbon | Comp Seats
                        2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
                        2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
                        2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Originally posted by 07MontyRed View Post
                          Thanks Jag! I can see that STI will be much more resilient against rock chips, but I admit to thinking it looks too "thick" (a necessary evil since it installs over the existing piece rather than replacing it). I need to see both in person before I make up my mind ...

Really appreciate everything you do for the forum!
                          it installs over? Thats even better!

Im going with the stock item and if it gets chewed up over time in winter driving etc...just order the item that goes over the body colored one and your as good as new..

im sure the aftermarket will offer this type of item as well but I tend to think the black textured item from gm will hold up better over time.

ill be that guy who orders it down the road after the original body colored piece gets beat up...if it gets beat up..

looks good in black and it looks good in body color...

anybody know does it install with double stick 3M tape? Or does it get screwed on from below?

Comment

does it install with double stick 3M tape? Or does it get screwed on from below?
                            As I read it, it's both 3M and screws. I wonder if it is sealed completely. I wouldn't want it to trap dirt and moisture.
                            C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Since I am having the whole car XPEL wrapped and I can't get STI with R8C, I'll have the side rockers wrapped in XPEL Carbon Flash...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X