Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

Xpel the whole car or just the front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xpel the whole car or just the front?

I did the front of my c7 and it's been great, was wondering if I should do the whole car this time. Any opinions about this?
    SOLD!! Before - 2014 C7 2LT Grey with Kalahari Interior and NPP
    Now - 2020 C8 2LT Torch Red Z51 with Adrenaline Red interior, Mag Ride, front lift, and Q8Q Wheels TPW 3/2 but delayed due to COVID-19 😥 Finally built 6/1/2020!!! 😎 at train depot 6/29/2020.. made it to dealer on 7/22/2020. Picked up 7/25/2020. From order to delivery.. ~14 months

I was thinking of putting xpel on the whole car but I will wrap the car instead. Much cheaper and should do the trick.

Comment

What was the cost for Expel and a whole car wrap?
      Thanks

Comment

Sorry, does wrap==non-clear film that changes the color of the car vs xpel which is essentially clear bra for the car? I paid 2k for the front of my c7 and was told the whole car would be around 4K about 4 years back. How much cheaper is a wrap?
        SOLD!! Before - 2014 C7 2LT Grey with Kalahari Interior and NPP
        Now - 2020 C8 2LT Torch Red Z51 with Adrenaline Red interior, Mag Ride, front lift, and Q8Q Wheels TPW 3/2 but delayed due to COVID-19 😥 Finally built 6/1/2020!!! 😎 at train depot 6/29/2020.. made it to dealer on 7/22/2020. Picked up 7/25/2020. From order to delivery.. ~14 months

Comment

Ive heard from one of our forum members that he spent 5 grand wrapping the whole c7 back in 2014

Comment

Have used xpel and suntek on my last 4 cars. I have done full wrap on each. Xpel relased thicker product that I switched to last year. Does not change the color at all in my opinion. Covered black, dark red, gray and dark blue. Has saved me several times on track and parking/road debris dings. Down sides: should always hand wash. If you take to a car wash may catch an edge and pull off the film. Maybe paronoia as I know many people still take their cars through auto washes with film. Second is certain petroleum products may yellow or damage the film although I haven't had an issue over 7 years and 4 vehicles and still use some petroleum containing products. Usually use Plexus or Honda polish to finish after wash or for quick spot cleaning. Also the film may enhance small paint chips so make sure to apply it sooner than later. Have done 3 coupes and an SUV and all between 4 and 5 grand.

Comment

I got a quote to do a partial xpel on my car and it was over $4k. I can get a wrap for $2-$4k for the whole car. It is not as thick but would protect the car against chips.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sim View Post
                I got a quote to do a partial xpel on my car and it was over $4k. I can get a wrap for $2-$4k for the whole car. It is not as thick but would protect the car against chips.
                There is a good video I'll try to find with a professional (Ammo NYC, IIRC) comparing a wrap and a film. The conclusion was the wrap provided way less protection to serious chips and dings. Better than nothing but not as good as a film. Their conclusion was choose a wrap for looks and a film for protection but don't choose a wrap hoping to get as much protection.

OP... I will put xpel on the entire car. My GT4 had full coverage and it saved me a number of times. The other BIG benefit is peace of mind... you completely stop worrying about the car (or at least I did). One of my kid's bikes fell into the GT4 and there was zero damage to the rear quarter panel where it hit. Without the film, it would have been SUPER bad. Had someone open their door into the car too... no damage at all. To me, the peace of mind is worth it.
                2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Carbon | Comp Seats
                2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
                2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
                2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jericho View Post
                  I did the front of my c7 and it's been great, was wondering if I should do the whole car this time. Any opinions about this?
                  We may be a bit bias but we vote wrap the whole thing.

That said, the most common protection option for Corvette is to wrap the entire front end and rocker panels. This includes the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, and headlights. Also includes the rocker panels and a piece behind the rear tire to protect that impact area as well. This package generally goes for $2500-2900 depending on the size of the material and the labor rates for that installer.

For a full wrap on a C8 you can expect anywhere from $5,750 - $8,750. This again will vary based on labor rates in your area.

Comment

The only place on my C7 I've gotten any chips is on the front valance, and there are some scratches on the factory plastic just ahead of the rear wheels. I'd do those two areas, and maybe the black "blades" on the side vents.
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Typically I don't even buy a case for my smart phones and it shows.

This C8 might get me to change my ways.

I must admit the prices for cosmetic enhancements like this are a bit of an adjustment to get used to.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                        The only place on my C7 I've gotten any chips is on the front valance, and there are some scratches on the factory plastic just ahead of the rear wheels.
                        I get scuffs on the front air dam / fascia and lower sides from ricocheting orange pylons that I hit while autocrossing.

At the end of each racing season I dig out the clay bar and clean them up before winter. During the summer I just think of them as proudly earned battle scars.

Comment

For 8 Grand you could buy a C5 to beat the **** out of and save the C8.
                          $5750-$8750.........literally highway robbery! 😎
                          Last edited by Meldoon; 09-14-2019, 06:56 AM.
                          Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                            The only place on my C7 I've gotten any chips is on the front valance, and there are some scratches on the factory plastic just ahead of the rear wheels. I'd do those two areas, and maybe the black "blades" on the side vents.
                            Did you also have the splash guards on your C7? I'm wondering as well if I need to xpel the rocker and rear panels since I ordered the splash guards for my C8.
                            Last edited by khanmark; 09-14-2019, 09:09 AM.

Mark

- Just when you think you can't dig your hole any deeper, they throw the shovel in at you -

Comment

Originally posted by khanmark View Post

Did you also have the splash guards on your C7? I'm wondering as well if I need to xpel the rocker and rear panels since I ordered the splash guards for my C8.
                              I do. They help, but when the front wheels turn they extend well past the guards, which are pretty small. The rockers seem fine, though, except right in front of the rear wheels. In the rear, the guards offer better protection since the rear wheels don't steer.

The production cars may come with a plastic protector in front of the rear wheels like the C7 does. We'll have to wait and see.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X